Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#298249 - 02/01/21 03:23 AM Re: First aid kit upgrades [Re: hikermor]
Macgyver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Victoria Australia
Originally Posted By: hikermor
What are the specific references you would have AKSAR (not ASkAR) check out? Please cite them.

For the moment, please color me skeptical....

Just did a quick search of 'cayenne pepper" and encountered this article which discusses health benefits -
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/267248. No mention of clotting ability, although it may retard Alzheimer's, a subject of great concern to geezers like me. The Wikipedia article on cayenne does not mention any health benefits at all

I do research in Archaeometallurgy and agree that research does not require the result to be profitable in these areas. However I have also worked on the fringes of medical research and I have noticed that most of the research that is done is only done because there is the potential of money being made. There are many areas of research where cheap and simple cures have been shut down because it competes with more lucrative treatments which are not as successful.

I suggest you dig deeper.. wikipedia is not the best source for accurate information on non mainstream medical treatments...
Have fun researching.

#298250 - 02/01/21 01:21 PM Re: First aid kit upgrades [Re: Macgyver]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
So where are your refeereences?

#298251 - 02/01/21 01:35 PM Re: First aid kit upgrades [Re: TeacherRO]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK

#298252 - 02/01/21 02:11 PM Re: First aid kit upgrades [Re: hikermor]
Macgyver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Victoria Australia
Originally Posted By: hikermor
So where are your refeereences?

I said previously that I am unaware of peer reviewed research on cayenne pepper but that it has been used in the alternative (traditional) medicine field for a long time with success. I also mentioned that it is an area that should be studied more to determine the exact mechanism of action. There hasn't been any research which has disproven the claims of natural medicine about this compound either.

I will say that the information that Snopes talks about in that link is total quackery. That website had no idea what they were talking about. However no published research doesn't mean that it doesn't affect clotting or internal bleeding, it just means that mainstream medicine has ignored this herb which has been used in traditional medicine for a long time. Don't forget that a large number of drugs are synthetic versions of compounds which were isolated from herbs and plants used in traditional medicine.

Did I say that everyone should use it? No. Did I say that it works? Yes. Did I say that it needs to be studied to fully document how it works... sure did. I think I have covered all bases. If you are interested then dive down the natural medicine rabbit hole.. it can be rewarding. Otherwise don't add it to your kit wink

#298253 - 02/01/21 03:23 PM Re: First aid kit upgrades [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

No references, no dice. Over and out.

I suffered a DVT a while ago. Went to the ER where it was treated promptly and effectively. Since then, no further problems.

#298254 - 02/01/21 04:00 PM Re: First aid kit upgrades [Re: hikermor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
In regards to scientific research on herbs, please do NOT use Wikipedia or Snopes. Search the National Library of Medicine's PubMed research database. It covers pretty much all scientific journals and if the research was done using government funds usually the full paper is available to download. If not, at least the abstract is posted.

Here's a good example: Capsaicin Supplementation Reduces Physical fatigue and Improves Performance in Mice

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#298255 - 02/01/21 04:36 PM Re: First aid kit upgrades [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Thanks for the reference. Good to know....

#298256 - 02/01/21 05:11 PM Re: First aid kit upgrades [Re: TeacherRO]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Not exactly within the topic of FAK upgrade, but not outside the subject either.

One time I injured my arm bad, and had to use one hand to put a gauze pad and wrap the arm with gauze roll. It wasn't easy. It was both frustrating and funny.

So, how do you aid yourself in such a situation?? And are there specific tools to help in "self-help" scenarios that are different from when someone is helping someone else ??

One example is adding a mirror to see yourself if you have injury in the face.

#298259 - 02/01/21 06:17 PM Re: First aid kit upgrades [Re: Chisel]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I am almost abidextrous and I practiced wrapping gauze one handed with either hand. One of the tricks is to fixate the roll in a way that will allow you to reach around and change grip, e. g. pinch it in the ellbow or hand. It is a knack thing.
A mirror is a good idea. I usually have one in some pocket. Adding one to the FAK wont break the bank. I have a sheet intended to replace the glass of side mirrors of vehicles. Dropping such a mirror wont break it. I used my mirror once when I was fly fishing and firmly planted a streamer on a #1 hook in my cheek. I was really glad that I joined the barbless community way before this event. Hemostats help a lot with the extraction too.

#298260 - 02/01/21 06:38 PM Re: First aid kit upgrades [Re: Chisel]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Not exactly within the topic of FAK upgrade, but not outside the subject either.

One time I injured my arm bad, and had to use one hand to put a gauze pad and wrap the arm with gauze roll. It wasn't easy. It was both frustrating and funny.

I like the giant island plaster (not sure if that is the proper translation). Just pull the backing off and slap it on. Stays on moving bits better too.

Another thing is the 'premade bandage'; gauze and gauze roll in one thing.

Both make it easier with one hand. Both make it far easier when it's windy and are quicker.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 538 Guests and 149 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.