Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#296709 - 08/02/20 05:08 PM Re: Lost in the Woods for 13 Days [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This thread has reminded me of a past operation in which the Huey was in a hover, about ready to lower the cable, when suddenly there was a reed light in the cockpit, and the pilot informed us over the outside speaker that he was returning to rebel base with a malfunction.

A Highway Patrol bird without a winch substituted and we had to carry the victim about one half mile to a spot where he was able to land.

Even with thee occasional glitch, helos are a godsend for victims distant from medical care, where transport speed can be critical.

#296710 - 08/02/20 08:58 PM Re: Lost in the Woods for 13 Days [Re: dougwalkabout]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Too rough for helicopter extraction, but they were able to carry her (less than a mile). Probably the helo did not have hoist capability?? (seems odd for a working chopper...)

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Agreed, no problem with lift/hoist capacity. These guys are yoinking all sorts of equipment and materials to their work sites.

My thinking was about appropriate training/certification for lifting out a prone casualty (esp. a non-employee), appropriate equipment for the same, company policy for such situations, liability, etc. It's a different calculus than a SAR or military crew would face.

Winches are pretty much only on dedicated SAR helos. They have a relatively small weight capacity (perhaps 300-350 kg ?), which is adequate to lift a rescuer and victim, but not near enough for industrial loads. Winches require a dedicated winch operator, and a great deal of specialized and dangerous training for pilot, winch operator, and rescuer.

Helicopters used in industrial work typically do not have a winch for hoisting. While they can lift quite big loads, they generally use the cargo hook on the bottom of the helicopter. The cargo hook could be used for rescue work, this would be the "short haul" technique (sometimes also called "long line"). However, using this to lift a living person (as opposed to a piece of industrial kit) again requires a high level of very specialized training. Also some specialized gear to attach the victim. This isn't something that one would want to improvise on the spot.

Given the limited information available on this incident, it sounds to me that opting to carry her out to where they could rendezvous with a ground vehicle appears to be absolutely the wisest option.

#296712 - 08/03/20 12:21 AM Re: Lost in the Woods for 13 Days [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Good comments, AKSAR, and I appreciate your wisdom. The news reports are all over the place (as usual). But what you say makes sense.

#296713 - 08/03/20 01:46 AM Re: Lost in the Woods for 13 Days [Re: dougwalkabout]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I'd read that her car ran out of gas. She likely tried to walk to help.

#296714 - 08/03/20 02:06 AM Re: Lost in the Woods for 13 Days [Re: KenK]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: KenK
I'd read that her car ran out of gas. She likely tried to walk to help.

That makes sense, but I wonder why she didn't stick to the road? Thought she had a "shortcut" I wonder?

#296717 - 08/03/20 03:44 PM Re: Lost in the Woods for 13 Days [Re: dougwalkabout]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Why she was out there will no doubt remain a mystery. It does seem odd.

Interesting that she was 300 metres from a utility right of way. But if you've ever pushed through one of those dense black spruce bogs, you realize that you're almost blind past what's in front of your face.

Ben East, an writer for Outdoor Life in the '40s thru '60s covered many survival stories involving lost hikers. His advice: Never step off a road or marked trail unless you're ready to spend the night in the woods.

#296718 - 08/03/20 03:49 PM Re: Lost in the Woods for 13 Days [Re: dougwalkabout]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Interestingly, this story is quite similar to another I saw today -

Washington State Teen Found Alive in Woods 8 Days After Going Missing

[Excerpts]

An 18-year-old from Washington state who went missing on July 24 was found eight days later in a heavily wooded section of the Cascade Mountains east of Seattle, in what rescuers say is a “miracle.”

Giovanna “Gia” Fuda was last seen on surveillance footage at a coffee shop in Index, Washington, before she disappeared last Friday, ABC News reported.

She left her home in Maple Valley, Washington, without telling her relatives where she was going.

- - - -

A search-and-rescue team came across Fuda’s notebook along a deep stream in the woods around 2:45 p.m. The crew eventually followed the stream and found shoes and clothes that belonged to Fuda.

Once the rescuers reached up a steep embankment, they found Fuda two miles from the bottom of the “very steep” ravine.

Medics treated her at the scene and took her to a local hospital, where she is listed as being in stable condition.

Abbott said she had no food on her but was drinking water from the creek.

Officials could not explain why Fuda ended up in the woods, as she was too incoherent at the time of her rescue and could not explain what happened over the past week.

Abbott said authorities have ruled out a possible kidnapping “at least at this point.”

Meanwhile, Fuda’s family is just happy she was found alive and safe.

https://www.breitbart.com/local/2020/08/...-going-missing/

As with all Breitbart stories, the comment section is full of pro- and anti-Trump posts. Ignore.

#296720 - 08/03/20 07:52 PM Re: Lost in the Woods for 13 Days [Re: brandtb]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Same incident was on early morning TV. One take home - available. water is crucial for survival of any length.

You are absolutely right about brainless comments....Disgusting!

Edited by hikermor (08/03/20 07:53 PM)

#296722 - 08/05/20 04:29 AM Re: Lost in the Woods for 13 Days [Re: dougwalkabout]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Imagine how much easier this would have been with even a simple cargo pocket sized kit. (Or even better a well equipped hiking pack...)

#296725 - 08/05/20 04:01 PM Re: Lost in the Woods for 13 Days [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A bail-out bag in her car’s trunk?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.