Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#296534 - 07/02/20 07:03 PM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Different strokes for different folks. Happiness, for me as a teenager, was Dallas in my rear view mirror.

It is good that we can all find different situations and inevitably, the one spot that works.

#296536 - 07/02/20 09:08 PM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm pretty happy in Montana but I couldn't rule out moving back to Idaho if the right job opportunity presented itself. My job here is very good; meaningful work and the benefits are great. If I didn't stay in the west for whatever reason I wouldn't mind moving back to Minnesota again. The tax situation is not ideal but lots of forests and lakes, plus some excellent amenities if you're within a couple hours of Minneapolis/St. Paul. After all, Cantus is based there. grin

#296541 - 07/03/20 12:31 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Florida ia not Hell;
Hell has less humidity.

#296548 - 07/04/20 11:42 PM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Whilst preferences regarding weather and climate vary a lot, there is in my view a lot to be said for living in a moderately cool climate.
Heating appliances are generally cheaper, simpler, and more reliable than air conditioning.

In cold conditions one can wear warm clothing, but there is a limit as to what clothing may be removed in the heat, at least in public.
And even in private, if still too hot after removing all clothing, then discomfort and possibly actual danger from heat stress await.

If it is too warm to sleep, and air conditioning is not available, not much can be done.
If it is too cold to sleep, then warm pajamas, brushed cotton sheets, and an extra blanket are needed, these are sold everywhere and not expensive.

BTW, no street lights here!

#296549 - 07/05/20 01:04 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, I can deal with cold a lot better than heat. Once all the clothing is removed if it's 100 F you're still gonna be hot.

#296552 - 07/05/20 04:02 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
If hell is a place or a situation, move out. But for many, hell is internal, a mindset or a perception or a trauma, and it travels with them. A thought.

#296555 - 07/05/20 06:35 AM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: dougwalkabout]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Saw a good quote on Facebook recently:
Quote:
Imagine you were born in 1900.
When you're 14, World War I begins and ends when you're 18 with 22 million dead.

Soon after a global pandemic, the Spanish Flu, appears, killing 50 million people. And you're alive and 20 years old.
When you're 29 you survive the global economic crisis that started with the collapse of the New York Stock Exchange, causing inflation, unemployment and famine.

When you're 33 years old the nazis come to power.

When you're 39, World War II begins and ends when you're 45 years old with a 60 million dead. In the Holocaust 6 million Jews die.

When you're 52, the Korean War begins.

When you're 64, the Vietnam War begins and ends when you're 75.

A child born in 1985 thinks his grandparents have no idea how difficult life is, but they have survived several wars and catastrophes.

Today we have all the comforts in a new world, amid a new pandemic. But we complain because we need to wear masks. We complain because we must stay confined to our homes where we have food, electricity, running water, wifi, even Netflix! None of that existed back in the day. But humanity survived those circumstances and never lost their joy of living.

A small change in our perspective can generate miracles. We should be thankful that we are alive. We should do everything we need to do to protect and help each other.

#296556 - 07/05/20 02:32 PM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Excellent history lesson....

I think of my father, born in 1910. This meant he was standing in front of the Army recruiting office, waiting for it to open on De. 8, 1941, and participate in WWII.

He later advised me, "Join the Navy. They have better chow." Still later, he protested against the Vietnam War. Having served in the South Pacific and Japan, earning a Bronze Star, he knew what he was protesting....

But there are positives in our history. Of interest to me was the development of cardiac replacement techniques, highly experimental in the 1950s, but mature by 2010, when I got a new heart valve. It came with a lifetime guarantee!!

Life is defined by its series of challenges. Every time is different.

#296558 - 07/05/20 04:37 PM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Of interest to me was the development of cardiac replacement techniques, highly experimental in the 1950s, but mature by 2010, when I got a new heart valve. It came with a lifetime guarantee!!

I want to be sure I have this correct. The warranty expires when the patient does?

Jeanette Isabelle

#296560 - 07/05/20 04:54 PM Re: I'm Moving Out of Hell [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Of interest to me was the development of cardiac replacement techniques, highly experimental in the 1950s, but mature by 2010, when I got a new heart valve. It came with a lifetime guarantee!!
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I want to be sure I have this correct. The warranty expires when the patient does?

Jeanette Isabelle

It means the warrenty is non transferable.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.