Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#296266 - 05/29/20 11:48 PM Re: Things I have learned recently [Re: chaosmagnet]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Here in the UK, TP was almost unobtainable in retail stores a few weeks ago, and is still in short supply.
It was however easy to purchase giant toilet rolls on UK fleabay, these are plentiful.

Dried pasta was in short supply, but is now easier to find.

Many canned goods are in short supply with most supermarkets limiting purchases.

Spot shortages of some fresh foods but no generalised shortage.

Shotgun ammo readily available, other firearms and ammo for same are almost unknown in the UK.

Some people are IMHO exaggerating food shortages in the UK. Many products are in short supply, but alternatives are readily available.
As an illustrative example, if baked beans are out of stock, there are almost certainly tinned tomatoes or tinned spaghetti available.
If dried spaghetti cant be found one week, then other types of dried pasta are probably available.

Likewise some brands of beer are unavailable, but alternatives are available. No general beer shortage.

#296267 - 05/30/20 12:41 AM Re: Things I have learned recently [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
How is the yeast situation for those of you that use it?

#296268 - 05/30/20 06:32 AM Re: Things I have learned recently [Re: Phaedrus]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
How is the yeast situation for those of you that use it?

Some stores have fresh yeast but limit to two cubes per purchase. Dry yeast is still not available on a regular basis.
I still have some dry yeast and prefer sourdough anyway.
Sourdough chocolate cake may sound weird but tastes really nice.

#296269 - 05/30/20 06:39 AM Re: Things I have learned recently [Re: adam2]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: adam2

Some people are IMHO exaggerating food shortages in the UK. Many products are in short supply, but alternatives are readily available.
As an illustrative example, if baked beans are out of stock, there are almost certainly tinned tomatoes or tinned spaghetti available.
If dried spaghetti cant be found one week, then other types of dried pasta are probably available.

Likewise some brands of beer are unavailable, but alternatives are available. No general beer shortage.

It is about the same in Germany. Dry pasta like spaghetti are the most popular variation. Cheap brands in pound packages were out (and sometimes still are) but premium brands and packages with 5 kg were always available.

Canned meat may become a little harder to get as some slaughterhouses got locked down because the workers there got sick. The worker lived in small quarters and distance could not be maintained. So before one got sick all had it.

#296270 - 05/30/20 07:34 AM Re: Things I have learned recently [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Beef prices are astronomically high right now, higher than I've seen in my lifetime. But the supply seems adequate.

#296276 - 06/01/20 02:47 PM Re: Things I have learned recently [Re: Phaedrus]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Had a neighbor in the adirondacks whose holding there was an off grid cabin full of preserved food that he visited occasionally but that he maintained primarily as a refuge from calamity.
He had grown up in Germany, and his dad was a milk man. As soon as WW2 became imminent, his dad butchered and canned the two draft horses that pulled the milk cart, and the family lived on it through the war. His grandfather had done something similar to survive WW1. Tof the he food and sanitary products hoarding is probably a positive evolution away from our grasshopper culture of the past few decades.

#296370 - 06/10/20 11:58 PM Re: Things I have learned recently [Re: chaosmagnet]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Cheap rechargeables are nearly useless...

#296382 - 06/14/20 04:55 PM Re: Things I have learned recently [Re: TeacherRO]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Cheap rechargeables are nearly useless...

Are you talking about specific rechargeable devices with built-in batteries? Individual rechargeable batteries? LiION? NiMH? Chargers? Specific brands?

#296402 - 06/16/20 06:55 PM Re: Things I have learned recently [Re: chaosmagnet]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Rechargeable aa/aaa from china...off ebay and not much good at holding a chrage

#296405 - 06/16/20 11:11 PM Re: Things I have learned recently [Re: chaosmagnet]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I assume NiMHs? Were they low self dicharge (LSD)? Sometimes a deal is not a deal, but that does not mean all is lost. I've run a lot of cheap NiMHs with acceptable results (relative to the cost).

I think we've discussed this before. Could be a poor forming charge, could be a long time in storage, could be one cell that isn't charging and dragging the performance of the others down.

The best solution is a diagnostic charger. The low-tech solution is charge them hard, burn them way down, and repeat several times. NiMHs need to be worked hard on occasion to take and keep a full charge.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 176 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.