The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#295412 - 03/23/20 10:40 PM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: nursemike]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Wow. That answers the question regarding the wearing of an ineffective bandana to qualify as virtue signaling. I can leave my N-95 masks in the box for a time they’re actually required.

#295413 - 03/23/20 10:41 PM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: Michael2]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Michael2
Originally Posted By: clearwater
So your point?

My point is that there's a lot of confusion out there, and simply saying, "The experts say we should wear masks," adds to that confusion if you don't include the context.

It is, in fact, counterproductive, if anyone who reads it thinks that it means wearing a surgical mask in public will protect them.

The article is making a complicated argument: if everyone wears a mask in public, then sick people will not be embarrassed if they also wear a mask in public. And it is the sick people who need to wear masks, to protect others.

Nothing confusing about ""Make masks ubiquitous"

Unless you know more than the experts.

Lots of asymptomatic carriers of the virus I would hope would be wearing masks. Rand Paul for one. Sounds like most of you care only if you get sick.

Here is a link for face shields. You might want one if you have to care for a sick family member.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ga98ddnx4gkdf..._nav_tracking=1

Edited by clearwater (03/23/20 10:49 PM)

#295414 - 03/24/20 12:59 AM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Keep the tone civil please.

chaosmagnet

#295415 - 03/24/20 02:20 AM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: teacher]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I came across this easy to understand (even for my older brain) article while trying to understand some of the terms used.

http://emag.medicalexpo.com/which-masks-actually-protect-against-coronavirus/

My take away: A surgical mask protects others from what is expelled by the wearer, but will not protect the wearer from airborne viruses. A respirator of the proper type, if properly fitted/sealed, does protect the wearer from a given percentage of airborne viruses. I assume the respirator would also protect others from expelled aerosols.

I would think a homemade mask would be most likely to function like a surgical mask than a respirator, but I could be wrong.

Purely as it pertains to dust, because for me excessive dust can lead to real breathing problems, I finally gave up on trying to use disposable respirators because they leaked and tended to fog up my glasses. I invested in a good 3M half face respirator with replaceable cartridges. The one that directs exhaust downward. It has worked very well, though in hot weather it can become a bit warm.

Very recently I purchased an RZ cloth half face respirator with reusable filters with the hope that they'll be more comfortable and work just as well. It gets great reviews from the woodworking community. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, and now I hear it is impossible to purchase replacement filters ... for now.

#295416 - 03/24/20 02:38 AM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: teacher]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
A very nice article that explains the N95 respirator rating.

Note that it recommends infected persons NOT wear a respirator with an exhalation valve, since it can allow aerosols to exit the respirator.

https://pksafety.com/blog/respiratory-basics-n95-vs-p100/

I'll have to admit that I don't understand why 95% filtering efficiency is considered sufficient protection against the virus. Maybe it's like drinking water cleanliness. The body can fight just a few nasties (such as 5%), but not when too many nasties are injected (or inhaled). If so. I suppose the choice of N95 vs. N99 depends upon the nasty involved.

OR, is it that the ~5 micron COVID-19 aerosol droplet is big enough that the N95 respirator is much more efficient than 95% for the COVID-19 aerosol droplet??

Edited by KenK (03/24/20 02:50 AM)
Edit Reason: Added last paragraph after thinking bit more

#295423 - 03/24/20 01:47 PM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: KenK]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: KenK

I'll have to admit that I don't understand why 95% filtering efficiency is considered sufficient protection against the virus. Maybe it's like drinking water cleanliness. The body can fight just a few nasties (such as 5%), but not when too many nasties are injected (or inhaled). If so. I suppose the choice of N95 vs. N99 depends upon the nasty involved.

OR, is it that the ~5 micron COVID-19 aerosol droplet is big enough that the N95 respirator is much more efficient than 95% for the COVID-19 aerosol droplet??

N95 Respirators. An N95 respirator is a respiratory protective device designed to achieve a very close facial fit and very efficient filtration of airborne particles. The 'N95' designation means that when subjected to careful testing, the respirator blocks at least 95 percent of very small (0.3 micron) test particles.

All the ppe devices are compromises of some sort, designed to encourage compliance by health care workers. l The finer the filter, the more energy it takes to inspire air through it. When hcw are really serious about airborne pathogens and droplets and stuff, they wear the blue suits, helmets and hepa filtered powered air supplies like the ones in the movies, or the CBW oufits the military wears.
Health care costs a lot, and the system is mostly private, and the pressure to cut costs has encouraged reduction of excess capacity and lowest bidder, just-in-time logistic solutions. So the health care delivery system isn't generally prepared for what is happening. Hence the CDC bandanna/face shield recommendation: the face shield will keep off the big droplets, the bandanna will perhaps slow down the rest.

and yes, this is all about viral load.

#295427 - 03/24/20 08:53 PM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
We have a strategic reserve of petroleum, I wish we had strategic stores of medical gear (or if "we" do I wish it would be shared more readily). Pandemic is at least as much of a natl security issue as terrorism or attack by a hostile nation.

#295443 - 03/26/20 12:28 PM Re: Sew your own masks [Re: teacher]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
We have strategic reserves of respirators, ppe, some vaccines and drugs. All under federal control, which is logical. This pandemic is being managed at the state level and private industry level, which does not have funding or supplies for this contingency. Which is not logical.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.