The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#294953 - 03/01/20 03:28 AM NYTimes: "How to Be a Smart Coronavirus Prepper"
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

How to Be a Smart Coronavirus Prepper
Subtitle: Instead of freaking ourselves out, we need to plan for a difficult future every day.

#294954 - 03/01/20 04:16 AM Re: NYTimes: "How to Be a Smart Coronavirus Prepper" [Re: Michael2]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Good article. i am glad they removed the advice to buy N95 masks. Those are best saved for infected people and medical personnel treating them.

i live now in fire and earthquake country. Given enough time, both are inevitable. So one makes preparations and develops coping strategies. Then get on with life.

My parents met and married during the Great Depression. There is a great family story about a roadkill chicken that provided an exquisite dinner. Growing up post WWII, I recall that we always had a fully stocked pantry with easily two weeks of how, maybe more if we skrimped.

Working for the National Park Service, I lived in some fairly remote places (Wupatki Nat'l mon, Gila Cliff Dwellings nat'l Mon). When you got to town, you loaded up. Who knew when you would be back?

Even living in Socal, working on the Channel Islands, I always packed extra chow and sometimes redundant gear because of weather and various events like 9/11.

Keeping a decent stockpile of necessities just seems like good common sense. Just make sure you have enough dark chocolate, one of life's neessities!

#294955 - 03/01/20 04:25 AM Re: NYTimes: "How to Be a Smart Coronavirus Prepper" [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
... Keeping a decent stockpile of necessities just seems like good common sense. Just make sure you have enough dark chocolate, one of life's neessities!
For us Dark Chocolate starts at 72% cocoa — I like hazelnuts/almonds, my better half prefers hers straight, but 72% is a minimum, less than that isn’t really dark.

There’s enough here to last for a couple weeks quarantine. Yeah, maybe I better pick up some more. smile

#295050 - 03/06/20 08:33 PM Re: NYTimes: "How to Be a Smart Coronavirus Prepper" [Re: Michael2]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
nothing going on here in minneapolis.i go to the mall of america to walk around when it's to cold to walk to the park and no one is using a mask.the hand cleaning gel pumps that have been there for
years are not being used.the big box grocery stores are fully stocked and I have not seen what might be called panic buying,full carts of tp and canned goods.we don't have storms,earth quakes or wild fires so there is no history of having to really prepare for any major event that would cause you to flee or stay at home for weeks.schools and such are open and no events that I know of have been called off.minneapolis is a sort of out of the way place with no other citys close by and no ports of call.the governor did suggest that stocking up might be a good idea but so far it looks like people don't see a need to do that.the state has a very good
health care system and that will go a long way to stave off any spread of this.

#295063 - 03/07/20 01:46 PM Re: NYTimes: "How to Be a Smart Coronavirus Prepper" [Re: Michael2]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Yesterday in Costco, NO toilet paper, no paper towels, Kleenex was down to a half dozen packages, no hand sanitizer, no surface sanitizer wipes, no rubbing alcohol and no liquid surface sanitizer.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#295064 - 03/07/20 02:27 PM Re: NYTimes: "How to Be a Smart Coronavirus Prepper" [Re: Michael2]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Not really directly Corona-related, but now that my wife and I retired to a very small rural area AND it is winter, we really don't go to stores and shops much. Mostly grocery shopping and picking up sandwiches (so much better than Subway) and pizza (awesome!) from the local Shell station.

We assumed that if we washed hands very well as soon as we got home that we could avoid colds, flu, and other nasties.

Well, no such luck. Last week my wife came down with a cold, and this week I've started having symptoms of a cold, though to a lesser extent than my wife.

I do wonder if it would have helped to routinely disinfect commonly touched items such as car door handles, steering wheels, door knobs, sink faucets, ... It seems that would be easiest done with Lysol spray and paper towels or similar wipes - if they could be purchased. That was how we disinfected the work area when I took a microbiology class. I think a bleach solution is effective, but too damaging to many surfaces. I wonder if vodka if effective as a surface sanitizer. No shortage of alcoholic beverages in Wisconsin!

Finally, I'll admit that it is really hard for me not to touch my eyes, nose, and mouth. It just is. Maybe I need counseling. Ha!

#295065 - 03/07/20 02:40 PM Re: NYTimes: "How to Be a Smart Coronavirus Prepper" [Re: Michael2]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#295069 - 03/07/20 09:22 PM Re: NYTimes: "How to Be a Smart Coronavirus Prepper" [Re: Michael2]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
No signs of panic here in Bozeman. The stores are still well stocked with everything. Well, I'm not sure about hand sanitizer as I rarely use the stuff. A year or two ago I bought a 3 pack of the tiny bottles which I take camping for cleanup when there's not a large supply of water and never opened any of them. But I do note that there's plenty of bleach on store shelves.

#295087 - 03/09/20 10:27 PM Re: NYTimes: "How to Be a Smart Coronavirus Prepper" [Re: Michael2]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
No hand sanitizer, not even rubbing alcohol. BUT the local liquor store did have 94.5% alcohol "Everclear" to make your own sanitizer. They were not charging more than normal, still, a bit expensive, but then it is a double, or even triple tasker (sanitizer, stove fuel, libation).

#295089 - 03/09/20 11:16 PM Re: NYTimes: "How to Be a Smart Coronavirus Prepper" [Re: Michael2]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Checked the local big box grocery - only low on tp, everything else fully stocked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.