Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#294449 - 12/25/19 08:17 PM Hiker in distress.....
Ratch Offline
Journeyman

Not too much I can say on this. I won’t criticize too much...just last month I got turned around and temporarily lost in my own woods....

https://northcountrynow.com/news/state-f...0-trail-0272174

#294451 - 12/25/19 09:06 PM Re: Hiker in distress..... [Re: Ratch]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm glad it worked out okay!

#294454 - 12/26/19 01:38 PM Re: Hiker in distress..... [Re: Ratch]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Odd priorities- An InReach beacon rather than good boots, which are absolutely bedrock fundamental. In a perfect world, you will have both (and more!).

Good ending, thanks to competent SAR.

#294455 - 12/26/19 04:48 PM Re: Hiker in distress..... [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Once again, the problem seems to be one of SEND (Satellite Emergency Notification Devices) units providing a back-stop for folks going on a hike ill-prepared. Forget the basics; #1 on your 10 Essentials list is a SEND unit and #2 is spare batteries. You don’t need boots, jackets, water or food; just start walking and when you find yourself cold, wet and hungry, or simply lost, just press the little red get-out-of-jail-free button. Ain’t technology great.

#294492 - 01/04/20 04:00 AM Re: Hiker in distress..... [Re: Ratch]
Ratch Offline
Journeyman

The state DEC just published a release with advice for people going on hikes in the backcountry...wouldn’t be surprised if it was prompted by the above incident. Basic information to be sure, but as always the question is....how do you get people to listen?

https://northcountrynow.com/news/dec-adv...ondacks-0272633

#294493 - 01/04/20 02:05 PM Re: Hiker in distress..... [Re: Ratch]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

how do you get people to listen?

Good question, and there is no easy answer. Our rescue group in southern Arizona always was prepared to give presentations on basic outdoor safety to any group wishing such.

Of course,it is hard to measure the effectiveness of such efforts, but it is better to try to educate the public that to just stand by and wait for the next problem.

#294494 - 01/04/20 03:54 PM Re: Hiker in distress..... [Re: Ratch]
Ratch Offline
Journeyman

A lot of people don’t belong to groups now...seems odd to say....but for many young people their connections are online. I despise facebook, etc., but I wonder if education campaigns carried out on social media might not catch the attention of young people. That is, the sort who look up from their smartphones, and think, “Oh, I guess I’ll take a walk in the woods...”

#294499 - 01/04/20 08:33 PM Re: Hiker in distress..... [Re: Ratch]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

good point! Considering how perasie social media are these days, and not just the young'uns. There is another aspect to this notion,however.

I was just lurking on a climbing site where two climbers were bragging about their climb which ended in a helicopter hoist op by the Las Vegas Mountain SAR.

They had bivouacked midway on the climb and with light, not being disabled in any way, they called for rescue. In their posts, they gushed about how neat the hoist was, and all that.

Obviously they were aware of the possibility of a competent,speedy rescue, other wise they might have been a bit more careful on their climb, like carrying the gear to retreat by rappel.

I myself, while extricating a dude from the hills who had no equipment of any sort with him, got the comment 'I wouldn't be out here at all if i didn't know that you guys would help me if I got in trouble."

So for some of the population, news of successful operations simply encourages risky behavior, publicity about good practices apparently not so much.

#294500 - 01/04/20 08:52 PM Re: Hiker in distress..... [Re: Ratch]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
That attitude is infuriating, hikermor! But still, ultimately I guess they're right; SAR won't refuse to rescue someone just because they're idiots (and lucky thing for the idiots). The problem is when they refuse to take any measures to help themselves.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.