Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#29434 - 07/26/04 12:56 AM Urban Survival: Office Buildings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sitting in the theatre watching "Day After Tomorrow" got me thinking about the plethora of resources available in any office building. Although knowing about such things is obvious to me because I've worked in offices practically my whole life, it may not be as obvious to others who have not. Therefore I will present some information gleaned which I hope may be of some use.

Let's imagine for a moment that Something Bad Has Happened that has you stranded for a couple of days in a commercial/corporate area. Without looking too deeply at the 'whys and wherefores' of this scenario, let's look instead at the critical thinking necessary to secure the three basics: water/food, fire, and shelter.

Everything you need to survive comfortably can be found in the typical office complex, which is usually overlooked because they're so common that they've become invisible.

We'll look at the food and water first because it's the easiest.

[color:"blue"]Water[/color] - in abundance (and packaged for long-term storage) in the form of 5-gallon water cooler jugs. I think I've been in two offices in my lifetime that didn't have bottled water available. This will either be in the kitchen or in a side area with the bottles stored nearby. Ice from the freezer may not be potable but could be used for washing after its melted.

[color:"green"]Food[/color] - Breakroom/lunchroom/kitchens are the best source of food, although most of it will be perishable. Some companies, however, will have snack vending machines which, although difficult to penetrate, can be a source of packaged snacks and/or drinks. The trick to getting at the food is the ability to create the right tools out of coat hanger wire. Or break the glass...!

Another good source of food is the drawers of desks. Some cubicle dwellers keep a secret snack stash in a drawer. Also check storage closets for bulk snack food or sodas if the company refills their own machines or provides food for the employees.

[color:"red"]Fire[/color] - Not so easy to spot as you will be looking for lighters left behind by their owners. Depending on the nature of the SBHH scenario, there may be a lot of clutter or destruction. Be careful searching because of broken glass from pictures, monitors, lights and windows. Check desk drawers and purses. Matches may be found in kitchen drawers, but it's becoming increasingly rare to find firemaking materials in urban non-smoking offices.

Fuel for fires is everywhere; look for paper shredders and hole punchers which provide a resource for small bits of paper. Older furniture may be filled with padding other than fire-retardant foam, but any worn loose-weave fabric is good. Once started, wood from furniture or tightly-rolled paper can be used to keep a long-burning fire going.

[color:"red"]Warning![/color] beware of chemicals if building an indoor fire! Sheltered but ventilated areas are best. Place your fire making materials inside or on something to contain it. Some things that immediately come to mind are metal waste cans and desk drawers. In every case, I would place these containers directly on concrete or tile, not on carpet or linoleum. Find and have a fire extinguisher with you (check the kitchen and next to stairwells).

Be careful where you start a fire as fire-sprinkler systems will most likely still be active following a disaster. The average sprinkler head discharges approximately 25 to 35 gallons per minute. Better to be cold and dry than cold and wet. Sprinkler heads are activated by heat only. Smoke without heat will not cause a sprinkler to activate. Here is a pdf file on how fire sprinklers work. An average temperature rating is 165° but the glass bulbs may have different heat ratings depending on the area; an office sprinkler rating may be set lower than ones in a parking garage or warehouse. As an example, Potter Roemer Sprinklers have these degrees and ratings. Do NOT start fires in computer rooms, clean rooms or anywhere a halon fire containment system is in place!

[color:"purple"]Shelter[/color] - Shelter is everywhere in a professional complex. Look at server rooms, bathrooms, closets and offices with doors. Stairwells are a good place to seek refuge, especially those in parking garages. Look for large signs or banners that can be rigged as a lean-to or pup-tent with rope made out of electrical cords. Better yet, check closets and conference rooms for a projector screen. Otherwise, large shipping containers, pallets, cubicle walls, bookcases and the like can all be used to create a cozy shelter. Be on the lookout for sweaters and coats or jackets for warmth.

[color:"#666666"]Other[/color] - Flashlights, medicines, jackets, things that could be used as weapons, portable radios, toolkits (check the MIS department or server room) and comfort items like books and games can be found in almost every office. Find the first aid kit or, if you're lucky, cabinet. Bathrooms are a source of toilet paper and soap. You never know what you'll find in supply cabinets, especially in the marketing department. Receptionists are often the "catch-all' for miscellaneous items and of course, warehouses can provide limitless scavenging possibilities.

If you can't take refuge in a Wal-Mart, an office building could be the next best thing.

~Sarah

#29435 - 07/26/04 12:59 AM Re: Urban Survival: Office Buildings
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Other food sources:

Executive suites often have private fridge. Office supply closets have snack foods. Never overlook the utility rooms as a source of materials.

#29436 - 07/26/04 01:58 AM Re: Urban Survival: Office Buildings
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

As a firefighter and a member of our Dept.'s highrise team I've been to countless fires from houses to highrises.If you light a fire even a small one indoors your going to fill the place with smoke.A single piece of chicken left on the stove,while the owner goes out fills a whole house with smoke.

Paper is one of the worst for smoke,both smell wise and vollume.

I've seen first hand what you get with a little carcoal,when some dope tried to "grill" indoors.His neighbor called when he saw the smoke puffing from his house.

If you need to stay warm why not grap a few sweaters most woman keep at work?

#29437 - 07/26/04 02:53 AM Re: Urban Survival: Office Buildings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great post, Sarah, sounds like you've given this a LOT of thought. The same idea applies to just about any place/situation...scrounge smart, and use what you can find.
Just curious, what scenario do you picture that's got you held up inside an office building. As a Northern Redneck, unless I was pinned down to the floor, or being held hostage, I'd be trying to get out and away from it. Even in a blizzard, I'd feel better at my Suburban with my kit, than trying to keep warm in a dark, cold, concrete, six story refrigerator.

Seriously, I'd like to hear more, I think I might learn something with this discussion.

Troy

#29438 - 07/26/04 03:27 AM Re: Urban Survival: Office Buildings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, I have to agree about the smoke from fires being a primary problem, and naturally lighting a fire wouldn't be the first thing one would do in that situation anyway.

As for the why of being trapped in an office building... primarily it comes from spending so much time in them. Everywhere I go I find myself looking around and thinking "What would be useful here in a survival situation?"

My husband and I have played these "What if" scenario games with each other for over ten years and continue to do it for practice. He'll tell you. He's made this his home survival forum now too. ~hugs Panzerboy~

Sometimes the scenario is Natural Disaster where we're stranded somewhere unusual. Sometimes it's a sudden flare-up of civil unrest that makes leaving a location unsafe and unwise. Naturally being trapped in an odd location for a couple of hours is different from sheltering there for a few days. But what if all we had was what's with us at the time and what's in the building? How would we improvise? I have a ton of gear in my car's trunk. Great. What happens if I can't get to my trunk or if someone else drove?

We're not always going to be at home when disaster strikes, which is why we're always looking around us. We look at people too, to evaluate and assess them from a survival standpoint. Would they be a help or hindrance? We make note of the elderly and the disabled. People with small children. Who looks able-bodied and level-headed? Who looks panicky and delicate? Sometimes it's the people dynamics that have more of an impact on a survival situation than any other factor.

It's just part of the stuff that goes on in my head.

~Sarah

#29439 - 07/26/04 06:01 AM Re: Urban Survival: Office Buildings
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Beware of using furnature as a fire material source. Much of the padding will burn but also produce toxic smoke. Also much of the wood if any has plastic laminated on the surface for looks. This plastic can also produce toxic smoke. It can be used but you need to remove the plastic first.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#29440 - 07/26/04 12:48 PM Re: Urban Survival: Office Buildings
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Why would one be "stuck" in a large office building? Under the patriot act, I understand that "shelter in place" would restrict people from leaving a facility. There was quite a bit about that when some postal workers were give a note saying that armed guards would be used (if necessary) to keep people from leaving a PO to get their kids in a "shelter in place" emergency.

Also, as a long time urban dweller, I can envision what it would be like to try to leave a urban setting when "everybody" is trying to get out of the city. No thanks. I don't want to be on the road then. Besides, where will all those folks go?

I believe Isreal has a lot of experience with this subject in a modern context. Historically, during WW2 I remember hearing my european friends, describe a similar situation.

As one that wanders the open spaces now, I will admit that the place I fear getting trapped most, is the city. I lived there most of my life and I hate going back in. During a mass emergency it might be prudent to lay low for a day or 3 until the situation becomes a bit more stable. Especially if getting out is a limited option.

Thanks Sarah. Made me think about an issue I have been avoiding.

#29441 - 07/26/04 02:22 PM Re: Urban Survival: Office Buildings
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
Why would one be stuck in an office building?

Various reasons, but two from my own experience spring to mind.

First was what we "affectionately" call "Tornado Day". Downtown Nashville, TN, was hit by an F4 tornado one Thursday afternoon in mid-April several years ago (Ca 1997, but I'm fuzzy on the exact date), effectively shutting down the city. Several co-workers & I were at a job fair, away from our office when it hit (just missing the building we were in). One of my co-workers (another self-reliant type) had ridden with me; we decided to leave to return to our office, & then our homes, as the situation permitted. We got out of the center of downtown just as the Police department closed the streets. Being in a GMC Suburban (curb? what curb?) helped us then. We were last car out.

Back at our office, we checked our options, & decided to stay there for a while, until the panic & traffic both died down.

The other instance was the winter of 2003, when an unusually heavy snowstorm shut down middle Tennessee. It started after everyone was already at work. We were permitted to go home around 10:00AM. Foolishly, or not, I chose to wait until all the people who don't know how to drive in bad weather were safely in the ditches before starting home, about 3 hours later. However, during that time, I very contentedly surveyed the contents of my desk, & of one of my winter bags from my truck (Dodge Ram 4x4, this time) for lunch, & potentially supper & breakfast, too. Several co-workers asked what I would do if stuck. I replied that I'd get my sleeping gear from my truck & sack out.

Building power & heat were OK, plenty of water in the 5 gal jugs (beyond my own supply). Internet connection up & running, portable TV & radio both working--heck, I've stayed in hotels that weren't that comfortable!!!

Was I really stuck in these two instances? No, but easily could have been. It was a comfort to me to be prepared, and know that I would be fairly comfortable if things got worse.

Good topic, "Sarah"!

David

#29442 - 07/26/04 07:51 PM Re: Urban Survival: Office Buildings
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Something on my to-buy list that's a bit too expensive is the EVAC-U8 smoke hood. I'd like to get them for me and my wife.

With the cost of these devices, when you start thinking of getting units for the home as well as for your workplace or briefcase, you're talking some money.

#29443 - 07/26/04 08:08 PM Re: Urban Survival: Office Buildings
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got an incredible deal on these several years ago on eBay of all places: 3 for $75 or something outrageous like that. I keep one in my Office Kit at work and the other two are on our nightstands at home. Thankfully we've never had reason to use them, but I'm glad to have them.

~Sarah

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 262 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.