Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#294367 - 12/12/19 04:37 PM Re: Strike Anywhere Matches-Playing cards [Re: qrtermoon]
M_a_x Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: Germany
In Germany they are available via mail order from Amazon for around 15 to 20€ per 1000 matches including shipping.

#294370 - 12/12/19 06:45 PM Re: Strike Anywhere Matches-Playing cards [Re: qrtermoon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Strike anywhere matches are so 20th century! I typically use a Bic rather than matches. I do carry matches, either in their box or with the striking surface from the box. Very fancy match cases have striking surfaces which will spark matches.

For all of that, I have lit many critical fires with matches. They do get the job done.

#294372 - 12/12/19 08:25 PM Re: Strike Anywhere Matches-Playing cards [Re: qrtermoon]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Paper matches are more reliable than the green tips etc now that the formula for strike anywhere matches has been changed.

Bic lighters leak and fail once in a while. Seems backups are needed for any method of fire starting.

I like paper matches for most things since you can light them and toss them a short ways at white gas stoves, BBQ starter fluid etc.

Bic's and/or Ferro Rods with tinder make good backups to the paper matches.

When I was a kid, my mom would wrap our sandwich in waxed paper for hunting trips. The waxed paper made a great starter for a lunchtime warming fire. We had a long white cotton sack for the sandwich and an apple, which we tied to the back of our belt for carrying. At the time we didn't worry about wearing a "White Tail" when looking for deer. Now I have a blaze orange pack and nothing white. Don't know how I survived a day in the woods without a pack full of gear when I was 14.

Edited by clearwater (12/12/19 08:26 PM)

#294375 - 12/12/19 09:32 PM Re: Strike Anywhere Matches-Playing cards [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My bare minimum bag contains matches in a waterproof capsule, a Bic lighter in a protective case, a ferro rod, and a Mora Light my fire knife with an integral ferro rod. The knife once worked capably for a week, lighting a gas stove when the lighter croaked.

I believe in redundancy when it comes to lighting a fire.

#294379 - 12/14/19 07:12 AM Re: Strike Anywhere Matches-Playing cards [Re: Eugene]
nursetim Offline

Loc: the last bastion of PHRASECENS...
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Might be easier to list whats not illegal in the UK :P

In the USA I still find boxes of kitchen size strike anywhere at Cabelas.

Do you have a link? I looked on their website and came up goose eggs.

Are the genuine articles still produced anywhere?

#294384 - 12/14/19 06:33 PM Re: Strike Anywhere Matches-Playing cards [Re: nursetim]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: nursetim

You can find the Green Tip most any grocery etc. However they are basically safety matches and won't strike on your pants, zipper, teeth, axe, even sandpaper, etc like the original formulations. and about 2 out of 3 won't even light on the box. I usually strike three 3 at a time to get a light.

Edited by clearwater (12/14/19 06:46 PM)

#294397 - 12/16/19 01:45 PM Re: Strike Anywhere Matches-Playing cards [Re: nursetim]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've found them at the checkout line, and its sometimes random if they will have the strike anywhere or strike on box only, so when I see them I grab some.

I wonder if issues with shipping or that they are only like $1.50 makes them not worth listing on the web site.

#294399 - 12/16/19 05:31 PM Re: Strike Anywhere Matches-Playing cards [Re: qrtermoon]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Believe the EU effectively banned strike anywhere matches. Didn't like the white phosphorus.

#294407 - 12/17/19 06:15 PM Re: Strike Anywhere Matches-Playing cards [Re: nursetim]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Still made in Canada - Redbird Strike Anywhere. Redbird

Interesting thought, while we still have strike anywhere matches here, we can't buy firecrackers but its opposite in the US.
Gun suppressors (silencers) are available in Britain and the US but not in Canada.
Strange, eh?

Edited by Roarmeister (12/17/19 06:19 PM)

#294409 - 12/18/19 01:43 AM Re: Strike Anywhere Matches-Playing cards [Re: qrtermoon]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yeah, sometimes there's no immediately obvious logic in the different laws in different jurisdictions. Though it's interesting to trace the why's and wherefore's, for those who are inclined.

Across the line in Alberta, fireworks are readily available. Although municipalities regulate their sale and restrict their use, which is correct because a forest fire can cause millions (or hundreds of millions) in damage.

I recently came across antique strike anywhere matches when cleaning out a house. They are huge, and kept dry they appear to age quite well. I have had no such luck with Redbirds: they are half the size, and the tips turn to mush with any hint of moisture. If I were to carry them, I would always have a "safety match" striker stip in the box, wrapped in plastic.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.