Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#126871 - 03/09/08 11:04 PM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: dweste]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Dweste:
Change is a good idea: will add.
Phone numbers: Ditto; will write them on my ID photocopy sheet.
I keep forgetting spares for my phone: I'll pick up an AA battery charge adapter. I've already got a wind up light/radio in the house, but maybe it's time to move it to the BOB.
Personally, not a big fan of a GPS. I'm in an urban environment, so the chance of me getting "lost" are slim. Detroit is essentially a grid. If I get out far enough, I'm not so worried about where I am, since, well, I'm not trying to get others to find me! Plus, without a map... which is why I've got a compass on order.

My FAK on my BOB is pretty meager compared to some others I have, for example, my home or my vehicle FAK. However, it'll do in a pinch. See http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=10200&Number=115963#Post115963 for more on my vehicle FAK.

I totally agree with the water issue. I've got 2 quarts ready to be filled, with 2 collapsable bottles in a fanny pack (the "ditch kit" idea). On the way out the door, as I pass my fridge, hopefully I remember to grab the Nalgene in there too.

I'll add some munchies, maybe to a small bag and add it to the hip belt. Good idea.

Joseph:
MP-1 tabs are already in place. Good idea about the leather gloves though; I'll trade out the new ones in the BOB with the used ones I've got in the backyard. Still working on a cup - worst case I'll just toss in a big can of chili or something and salvage the can.
Thanks!

#126874 - 03/10/08 12:28 AM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: MDinana]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Don’t need no stinkin’ GPS in your BOB!?

Some thoughts. Okay, GPS depends on satellites that might not be there, and are not precise to inches most of the time. However ….

As you bugout through the changed landscape of your town you follow your compass toward your survival cache, which turns out to be on the other side of: a newly formed river of flood water / a tangle of downed vegetation and buildings / a scary looking gang or mob / the canyon of an open earthquake fault / a line of raging fires / a downed bridge or causeway / or whatever. Prepared to create a map of declinations and angles and pace out precise distances as you veer far off your intended course so you can get back to original target? How about having pre-waypointed your target so your GPS unerringly guides you in from whatever distance or angle you must travel?

As you bugout you have to stash your BOB because: you are escaping from some threat and need more speed or to get into a tight space / are injured or exhausted / decide to salvage or rescue something or someone / need a safe place to sleep that won’t accommodate your BOB / want to break cover to negotiate for something or chance the use of a public phone, etc. and do not want to advertise your resources or how interesting a target you might be. On the way back because of mistake, panic, smoke, fog, moonless night, rising flood waters, etc. (see above) whatever landmarks you used to take compass readings or memorize the way are no longer available to you. How about having pre-waypointed your target so your GPS unerringly guides you in from whatever distance or angle you must travel in the dark, fog, or whatever?

You know you are close to your survival stash or stashed BOB but recent damage to the landscape makes visual location of what you need impossible, you know, since you were last there the buildings have been replaced or collapsed or altered by fire; the trees and bushes have been downed and moved by wind, water, or other survivors; or you are impaired in vision or thought processes by just about anything. Compass, or follow the “breadcrumb” trail on your GPS to retrace your steps?

Maybe give GPS a second thought, especially when you can get it in a multipurpose piece of gear like a cell phone or radio?

Edited by dweste (03/10/08 12:39 AM)

#126882 - 03/10/08 01:10 AM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: dweste]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Also maps are not updated as often as needed, there are streets around my office that are not yet on the maps because they are building so fast. There are two or three areas along my primary bug out route where expansion is happening so fast the maps can't keep up.
We were meeting a cousin in a state forest and ended up driving right through the middle of it because maps were so inacurate, knowing my actual position would have helped there.

#126902 - 03/10/08 12:53 PM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: Eugene]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

More thoughts for your BOB consideration:

BTW GPS units include an electronic compass [redundancy].

Some handheld 5 watt, waterproof, VHF, weather radios include GPS and a PLB-type functionality - very pricey!

Smoke / dust mask for urban bugout.

Make-ugly stuff for you supermodels.

Spare glasses, contacts, prescription meds.

Stimulants.

Compact monocular.

Strong letter to yourself with decision tree on whether or not to bugout or "bug-in."

The term I was trying to remember was - money belt.

Edited by dweste (03/10/08 12:56 PM)

#127000 - 03/11/08 12:39 PM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Might check your BOB against these for ideas:

Rusty's BOB:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post113455

NIM’s long term last resort kit:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post112981

And consider:

Bugout tactics /strategy – Wildman800
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=116920&fpart=1

Edited by dweste (03/11/08 01:07 PM)

#127075 - 03/12/08 02:05 AM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: dweste]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

Found this site for a nice first aid medical kit and its suggestions: (MDiana I assume you would have as good a kit already, but I posted anyways for the benefit of other readers of the thread)

http://www.aeromedix.com/aeromedix_articles/medkit/index.html

#127110 - 03/12/08 02:20 PM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: eric_2003]
Chuck Offline
Stranger

Loc: Summerville South Carolina
Do yourself a favor and get a better pack. I have the same one you do and I thought it was great until I used it. Over a two day, 12 mile hike last summer one strap pulled off (not a shoulder strap) and a seam ripped out. These packs look like they are built well but they are not. My son now uses mine for paintball and I bought a Kelty.
Also, get a fishing scale from Walmart, <$10. I made that hike with a 50# load. Never again. My current pack weights 35# including a gallon of water.
Most importantly, get out and use your gear. It can be a real eye opener.

#292305 - 05/17/19 05:16 PM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: MDinana]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I keep my camping gear separate; in most cases I'm going to a friends/shelter/hotel and won't neeed.it

#294298 - 11/30/19 08:01 PM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: MDinana]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Edit: In two separate, marked bags.
One for overnighting in the woods/rough.
The other for overnighting at a hotel/friends house.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 149 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.