Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#292740 - 07/10/19 02:48 PM Re: How do you update your first aid kit? [Re: Johno]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Originally Posted By: Johno
Originally Posted By: Ren
Medication refill kits? eg

https://www.e-firstaidsupplies.com/911-10981-p-first-aid-kits-specialty.html

For some reason medication refill kits are not sold in the UK (perhaps EU).

No doubt some hand wringing snowflakery and rear-end covering due to liability issues.

I also recollect that as a first aider in the UK, you can only assist people to take their own medicine. Giving medicine, no matter what it is, is in the realms of health care professionals and pharmacists.

It's odd, some sort of bureaucracy getting in the way for sure.
Can buy box of aspirin no problem, trying to find individually wrapped aspirin or any unitized medication, no chance.

#292741 - 07/10/19 03:09 PM Re: How do you update your first aid kit? [Re: Ren]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Can buy box of aspirin no problem, trying to find individually wrapped aspirin or any unitized medication, no chance.

Where are you based? In Europe, you generally get the medication in blister packs, which you can cut/tear into individual packages.

#292749 - 07/11/19 05:36 PM Re: How do you update your first aid kit? [Re: Tjin]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Originally Posted By: Tjin

Where are you based? In Europe, you generally get the medication in blister packs, which you can cut/tear into individual packages.

UK. Yeah, but have to ensure labelled with expiry etc. More convenient if in a satchet. It's odd that water tablets usually come packaged this way, but otc medication isn't.

#292805 - 07/22/19 01:25 PM Re: How do you update your first aid kit? [Re: Bingley]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Normally every two years I look at the kits and every four or five I rip them back apart and rebuild and update them
boreal.net

#294284 - 11/26/19 12:29 AM Re: How do you update your first aid kit? [Re: Bingley]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Time to repack the car kit; and move over to water proof packing for the smaller ones.

#294293 - 11/29/19 01:54 PM Re: How do you update your first aid kit? [Re: Bingley]
Janysboy Offline
Journeyman

If you check with your Pharmacist, you can find out how early you can reoder a medication. In my case, I can reorder two weeks before the script runs out. By doing this consistently, I can build up more than a months supply. IMHO, we're facing a recessio or worse.

#294294 - 11/30/19 02:02 AM Re: How do you update your first aid kit? [Re: Janysboy]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I already have a year's supply of some medications and getting close to that with other prescriptions.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294295 - 11/30/19 03:35 AM Re: How do you update your first aid kit? [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I just scrounge small plastic bottles (usually from a super small sized bottle of aspirin, Tylenol, etc.) And I refill those from my larger at-home stock. They're fine for a year (probably much longer).

After I've decided they're starting to get old, I take out the meds and put them back at home labeled "take these first". Then I refill the little bottles from my at-home stock and put them back in my mobile kit.

Half the time I forget to do the yearly refilling. But you know what? Five year old Tylenol works just fine for me. Same for Advil. I rarely take aspirin, and at five years old it's definitely smelling vinegary, but it will still work and isn't going to hurt you. Just consider your five year old 325mg aspirin tablet to be effectively a 315mg tablet. Good enough.

This is not good practice for prescription meds that are sensitive to dosage, or that degenerate quickly. But for over the counter meds? Home rotation like I do above is just fine IMHO.

If you're worried about it, you can probably buy a whole bottle of 100 aspirin to drop into your kit, and that would cost about the same as a miniature foil-pack of four aspirin. Those little packets are not exactly cost efficient...

#294296 - 11/30/19 11:57 AM Re: How do you update your first aid kit? [Re: Bingley]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
with some practice you can vacuum seal a strip of meds, and then cross seal them as individual tabs with a vacuum sealer

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.