Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#294135 - 11/09/19 12:17 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Phaedrus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I like tarred bankline (Catahoula brand especially) very well although I do sometimes have the cheaper mason's line. I like paracord better for the ridge line though because I like the way it works in conjunction with tarred bankline (a Catahoula Prussik knot holds very well in paracord, and my repertoire of knots could be better! blush). Definitely you can get 100' of bank line or mason's line in the space of 25' of paracord.

I've noticed that all bushcraft kits include bankline. I don't know why this is; it can't be a coincidence.

Jeanette Isabelle

#294141 - 11/10/19 01:07 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I like tarred bankline (Catahoula brand especially) very well although I do sometimes have the cheaper mason's line. I like paracord better fore ridge line though because I like the way it works in conjunction with tarred bankline (a Catahoula Prussik knot holds very well in paracord, and my repertoire of knots could be better! blush). Definitely you can get 100' of bank line or mason's line in the space of 25' of paracord.

I've noticed that all bushcraft kits include bankline. I don't know why this is; it can't be a coincidence.

Jeanette Isabelle

It's strong, compact and inexpensive!

#294142 - 11/10/19 01:23 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Why isn't it included in survival kits?

Jeanette Isabelle

#294144 - 11/10/19 02:47 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe the cost?

#294146 - 11/10/19 03:57 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I like tarred bankline (Catahoula brand especially) very well although I do sometimes have the cheaper mason's line. I like paracord better fore ridge line though because I like the way it works in conjunction with tarred bankline (a Catahoula Prussik knot holds very well in paracord, and my repertoire of knots could be better! blush). Definitely you can get 100' of bank line or mason's line in the space of 25' of paracord.

Jeanette Isabelle

It's strong, compact and inexpensive!

You are correct!

Actually, the bankline cartel has infiltrated the bushcraft management system. They are working on survivalists. Soon bankline will be totally dominant....

#294147 - 11/10/19 04:16 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

When I think of what I'll most likely be using 550 cord for (ridgelines, tieouts, trotline/bankline, lashing, bow drill, etc) I've generally shifted away from paracord and more towards amsteel, particularly Lash-it or Zing-it. Although I can't separate the inner strands for other tasks, it's a fraction of the size and weight of 550 cord so I can easily carry more of it in the same volume, and it's rated 500 lbs itself. For tasks that do require smaller cordage, I do carry the even smaller spiderwire / fishing line.

A 33' / 10m length of it is good for a ridgeline, and small continuous loops make great soft shackles.

Here's an example of a loop I used around a pocket saw, I used a stick for my handles and it worked great.

It doesn't stretch like 550 cord, so ridgelines and tieouts remain more taught, and there's a whole line of hardware out there in the hammock community oriented towards it (carabiners, figure 9s, tensioners, etc). It all adds up to a great option for utility.

Downsides are that knots are almost impossible to get out, it tangles easy, and the ends don't fuse when burnt like 550 cord (though superglue works great).

Amsteel 7/64 is another nice alternative as well -- still a little thinner than 550 cord yet rated 1,600 lbs which is enough for hammock use, and is a little beefier than zing-it/lash-it for bow drills and perhaps improvised bow strings if you're being crafty.

None of it is suitable for life safety and shouldn't replace good climbing rope of course, but for the vast majority of bushcrafty tasks I like it better than paracord.

#294149 - 11/10/19 06:44 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I use a variety of different types of cordage for different things. First of course is paracord. It's widely available and versatile. It's handy for improvised shoelaces and gutted paracord is handy for lanyards, etc. The local dollar store sells neat little 25' hanks of the stuff or a buck! It's shrink wrapped too which makes it really handy to toss into various packs.

Next I really like bank line. It takes knots well and grips paracord nicely. It's a bit stiff for the thickness but relatively thin yet strong. Great for lashing and general use.

Jute is handy for very light use, plus it's an outstanding tinder that takes a spark easily.

While I don't use it a lot I do have some kevlar and spectra line. Those are extremely strong, very thin and nearly fireproof. Handy for certain things although many knots don't work with it.

I also like micro-cord. It's sold by Atwood and is pretty strong while being very thin. Great for guy lines and general use.

Different types of cordage have different strengths and weaknesses but I don't think there's any reason to agonize over it. Just make sure you do have something! It's very handy for so many purposes.

#294150 - 11/10/19 11:10 AM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe the cost?

If it is inexpensive, as you said, then how is the cost the reason bankline is not in survival kits?

Jeanette Isabelle

#294152 - 11/10/19 02:40 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: teacher]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Bankline was made populair by some youtuber. Use whatever cord works for you.

Plain twine, prussik cord and a little paracord is all I use.

#294153 - 11/10/19 02:55 PM Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Excellent advice, Tjin!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.