Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#293765 - 10/09/19 10:52 AM Re: Biggest Concerns in an SHTF Situation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Wow !! Where do I begin , LOL

I am an INTJ, per the MBTI classification of personalities. One of the distinctive traits of an INTJ is EFFICIENCY !!! INTJ people HATE wasting stuff, wasting time, wasting RESOURCES , mad ..etc.

A few years ago, I retired from work after 35+ years, and also my daughter graduated from college. Both of us have had accumulated a huge amount of papers. So, I sat and classified them. The papers that should have been thrown (God Forbid) were put in a corner, and I scavenged 8 empty cartons of A4 paper, refilled them with our "waste paper" , and stored them like a precious relic, LOL. Now these sheets of A4s are being used by me in the home office, as well as my grand son for his drawings and games.

I feel that my efficiency style will be severely challenged in an SHTF !! Seems to me the society around me is built on WASTING stuff in a not-so-acceptable wise manner. And after some kind of SHTF, they will continue to do so, not realizing that "endless" supply is disrupted, at least for some time.

So, if I do invite some folks to my home in a disaster, they are most certainly going to do what they do normally, wasting water, kids playing with all kinds of stuff, the thought of it gives me knots in my stomache.

#293766 - 10/09/19 11:33 AM Re: Biggest Concerns in an SHTF Situation [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Mrs. Hikermor and i have a well developed evacuation plan (tested twice and implemented once) for wild fires. People, pets, and important papers and photos are the priorities.

Remember the Four Ps: people, pets, papers and photos.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293772 - 10/09/19 01:54 PM Re: Biggest Concerns in an SHTF Situation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Remember the Four Ps: people, pets, papers and photos.

I have shortened the list
Pets are out of my life
Photos are digitized and stored on multiple media

#293774 - 10/09/19 07:37 PM Re: Biggest Concerns in an SHTF Situation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

this is why I have sun/crank/wall/battery powered radios.
(some of which will also charge a phone)

#293778 - 10/09/19 08:54 PM Re: Biggest Concerns in an SHTF Situation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
About acquiring information. Listening is far more important than transmitting.

Imagine having a receiver that covers almost all of the useful radio spectrum. Public service, ham, satellite, military, FM broadcast, everything.

Even if the information is encrypted, if you are familiar with the routine traffic loads, you will notice when the traffic load changes. In the military this is called operational tempo or OPTEMP. A sudden gigantic increase of all the local police frequencies may indicate that something "interesting" is happening. You might then switch to some of the local industrial frequencies like Power company or ambulance services. Local media frequencies like remote pickups or perhaps fire services.

Many of the digital services can easily be decoded. Paging, equipment service transmissions (river level, power monitors etc.) are easily decoded.

Many satellites are easily received. Weather sats. send color or enhanced color images directly to your receiver.

And the equipment is very cheap. Less than $30 will buy a small dongle which you plug into your computer. Download free software and you will have a very wide range receiver. Some cover from 1 Mhz to 3 ghz.

These are software defined receivers (SDR). Here is a youtube demo of some of the applications.

SDR Demo.

Amazon sells one here

Amazon

For non-computer literate folks the learning curve is high, but very much worth the effort. Geeks will jump right in and have no difficulty following the many youtube and other learning resources.

But this is not something to buy and hold until something bad happens. You will need to spend a lot of time learning your local electronic environment and exploring the technical issues around encryption, satellite tracking and other complex issues.

Information directly from the source is invaluable, but you must train yourself to understand what you hear and see.

Listening is far more important than transmitting.

#293779 - 10/09/19 10:09 PM Re: Biggest Concerns in an SHTF Situation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Totally agreed Nomad.

For those whose technical proclivities do not run towards the intersection of radio and IT geekery (like mine do), there are a number of inexpensive receiver options that can pick up public safety bands as well as broadcast radio. Listening to ham radio is completely legal without any license, and can provide first hand information, especially if you're used to listening to it.

Having a receiver in a kit isn't nearly as useful as having a receiver and knowing what is best to listen to locally.

#293782 - 10/09/19 11:16 PM Re: Biggest Concerns in an SHTF Situation [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agreed. As long as we’re talking radio receivers for kits ... I have a couple CountyComm GP-5 radios which “covers medium wave 520-1710 kHz shortwave 2300-30000 kHz and the FM band”.

The GP-5 radio’s “Easy Tune Method” will scan the local spectrum and determine which frequencies have energy. Then as you “tune”, it jumps from station to station, bypassing the static so you can easily determine which stations are useful without having to do the manual tuning.

I have two of these radios. The first GP-5 I bought didn’t have SSB, I only use that radio for local AM/FM stations. The second has SSB, so in addition to AM/FM, it’s more useful for short wave. Both have a standard FM telescoping antenna and an internal AM antenna. For improved AM reception there’s an external ferrite antenna that is attached with a 3.5mm jack. It swivels and is somewhat directional for better antenna gain — I like it. For shortwave reception, a long-wire antenna can attach to the FM antenna with an alligator clip.

No affiliation with CC, I just like the radio.

#293784 - 10/10/19 12:32 AM Re: Biggest Concerns in an SHTF Situation [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Awesome info, Nomad! I'll look into that.

#293785 - 10/10/19 01:43 AM Re: Biggest Concerns in an SHTF Situation [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
No affiliation with CC, I just like the radio.

I also like the radio laugh.

My review from 2013: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=264506 .

#293803 - 10/11/19 01:38 AM Re: Biggest Concerns in an SHTF Situation [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
In light of these thoughts, for anyone looking for a new radio — Top 10 Shortwave Radios of 2019 — Video Review

The Tecsun PL-360 that ranked #10 is the same radio as the CC GP-5 we’ve been discussing although without SSB.

I kinda sorta like the Tecsun PL880, #4 on the list. It uses a Li-Ion 18650 as a power source and can recharge the battery with a USB mini input port.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 430 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.