Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#293350 - 09/11/19 07:09 PM Do you carry/pack a spare phone?
teacher Offline
Old Hand

We're considering getting some basic phones for the car kits -- just to be able to call for help.

#293353 - 09/11/19 07:45 PM Re: Do you carry/pack a spare phone? [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
An old cellphone with a working charger can still call 911. Basic pay-as-you-go phones are cheap. This is a very good idea.

#293355 - 09/11/19 07:57 PM Re: Do you carry/pack a spare phone? [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I carry a Kyocera DuraXV LTE from Verizon when I’m out and about.
Quote:
Kyocera’s DuraXV LTE is built with a durable design for staying connected, even in harsh working environments. With a Military Standard 810G rating, it protects against shock, solar radiation, vibration, corrosion and other extreme conditions. Defend against humidity and blowing rain with the DuraXV LTE’s dustproof and waterproof design.*

It’s pricey for a basic phone though, although I’ve dropped mine enough to justify the expense. There is also the Kyocera Cadence LTE at less than half the price but without the waterproof, dustproof... MilSpec attributes of the DuraXV.

I’ll be interested to see if the new ”reimagined” Nokia 3310 is available through one of the major carriers. Classic.

#293363 - 09/12/19 08:07 AM Re: Do you carry/pack a spare phone? [Re: teacher]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I would like to see a 'smarter' "dumb phone"

I like the Nokia 3310 but texting is not that easy with its keyboard. Also, I would like to have a 3mp camera for real practical reasons. Other than that , the battery that can last for a week+.

Right now I am using a regular 'smart phone' but not the whole stuff like internet connection and GPS. Just calling, texting, and camera. A cheaper version that is "half smart" would be great.

#293368 - 09/12/19 01:10 PM Re: Do you carry/pack a spare phone? [Re: teacher]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Just remembered the SpareOne Emergency Phone. Seems was not a commercial success, and no longer in production.
Was a phone powered by an AA battery, so with some lithium AA primary batteries could store it for years with no problem.

Edit: Just looked on ebay out of curiosity,
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nkw=spareone+phone

Going for <$10 each delivered.

Edited by Ren (09/12/19 01:18 PM)

#293371 - 09/12/19 02:50 PM Re: Do you carry/pack a spare phone? [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Doing a search on the relationship of 4G and LTE (two different things) an article showed on, How to Disable LTE on iPhone (and Why You Might Want To).
Quote:
Tap on “Enable LTE” and choose “OFF” (or alternatively, you can set ‘Data Only’ to stabilize some voice calls, or “Voice & Data” as the default)*
I followed the directions above and turned LTE to “OFF” — signal strength improved. I only use the phone for voice and text; cellular data is turned off ~99% of the time. Try it, see if it works.

IPhone 6s is my version of a smarter dumbphone wink Voice, text and a pretty good 12mp camera.

#293457 - 09/17/19 07:50 PM Re: Do you carry/pack a spare phone? [Re: Ren]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ren
Just remembered the SpareOne Emergency Phone.

Thanks for this. At this price, I'm adding one to each vehicle.

#293464 - 09/17/19 09:53 PM Re: Do you carry/pack a spare phone? [Re: teacher]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Yeah, even without a sim card, it'll call emergency services.

Might have to use a sim card temporarily just to test it's functioning ok.

#293471 - 09/17/19 11:56 PM Re: Do you carry/pack a spare phone? [Re: chaosmagnet]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: teacher
We're considering getting some basic phones for the car kits -- just to be able to call for help.
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Basic pay-as-you-go phones are cheap. This is a very good idea.

Hi,
Why exactly?

Why not rely on your regular phone in your pocket to call for help?
Why is it a good idea to have an extra item that you never use but you have to keep charged?

3 spare batteries for regular phone are smaller/lighter than an extra phone

The strategy of duplicate items, esp electronics, just in case of, something, hasn't paid off in my land experience.

Also, some basic phones for sale now, even with touchscreen, are only 3G, and 3G is going away soon.
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
An old cellphone with a working charger can still call 911.

Old phones wont work for long,
AT&T shutdown its 2G Network on December 31, 2016
The big networks will shutdown 2G and 3G by 2020/2021
No network no phonecalls

Edited by EMPnotImplyNuclear (09/17/19 11:57 PM)

#293474 - 09/18/19 11:50 AM Re: Do you carry/pack a spare phone? [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Why not rely on your regular phone in your pocket to call for help?
Why is it a good idea to have an extra item that you never use but you have to keep charged?

Phones can be broken, lost, stolen or run out of charge, easily. The charging issue I consider "solved" for the cars in my family. Each vehicle has an emergency kit with (among other things!) a spare 12V to USB adapter, a spare cable, and a low-self-discharge powerbank. If I'm carrying a bag, it has a powerbank and charging cable in it.

I have occasionally found that cellphone provider diversity can be helpful.

Quote:
The strategy of duplicate items, esp electronics, just in case of, something, hasn't paid off in my land experience.

I've spent my entire career in IT, so perhaps that's colored my perceptions of spare electronics. Suffice it to say that my experiences have differed from your own laugh laugh laugh.

Of all the tools available, the one most likely to solve a problem easily and with the best outcome is a working cellphone. For about $12 (including shipping and the cost of a Lithium AA) I can put an extra one that's going to be good for years without maintenance in each car.

Quote:
Old phones wont work for long

AT&T's 3G network is good until 2022, so that's over two years from now to figure out another spare phone solution for the car kits. I'm good with that at this price.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.