The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#293128 - 08/28/19 07:26 PM Re: A non camping GHB/ BOB [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Are you walking, driving, or flying? Coming or going? After you remove camping specific equipment, what’s left? Do you need an FAK?

Non-camping to me says you aren’t concerned with the shelter and fire elements. Maybe you are planning on hotels and restaurants, and what you need is a minimal overnight/weekend bag — a bag equipped with toiletries, extra clothes and cash. That’s pretty simple. A BOB might add important documents where a GHB would not need them.

Interesting — while my BOB is the truck and provides shelter, the GHB that’s included in the truck’s kit provides for a night roughing it without the truck.

My recently ordered bail-out bag will be set up to grab and throw on the front seat of the truck. Get dressed, grab the bag and go. Still gaming how it will fit within the layers of EDC, BOB & GHB. There’s a Venn diagram in my head...

#293178 - 08/30/19 06:30 PM Re: A non camping GHB/ BOB [Re: teacher]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Most times, I think about , and plan for "city life situations" more than natural disasters. One case I mentioned earlier, the knee problem, and here I am telling another one in the future (about 18 months from now). I am planning to build a small house in another town that is 100 miles away. These are some of the concerns:

# I am 65 years old with diabetes
# Lacking fitness (working on it though)
# Knee problem recurring in the worst of times
# Weather is: one month (pretends to be cold), 6 months (OK), 3 months (hot), 2 months (wicked hot)

Although construction will be in a city, work will not be inside, but out in the blazing sun (at least in the beginning). Then as the building rises, it will give shade but will trap heat in the concrete.

The situation requires a "camp-less" bag, but one bag won't be enough. So far I have organized a med kit, first aid kit, safety kit (to prevent the need of the former kit), Personal kit ( eyeglasses, flashlights, headlights, etc ), tool kit, utility kit (which fills the gap between all other kits). And then there is the coffee kit (which can be expanded to a cooking set although may not be necessary), we'll see.

This situation is interesting. I will be in a city, but spending time in the outside. Shelter is available but not really. No immediate health threat but safety issues plus higher risk of recurring and chronic health issues. Fatigue will be there definitely, from driving long distances and spending much time without a place to rest (short naps). I do have a room somewhere in that town but there is a distance and cannot commute repeatedly.

In my view, this kind of situation deserves to be planned for with all what the EDC/GHB/BOB culture can offer.

#293194 - 09/01/19 03:33 AM Re: A non camping GHB/ BOB [Re: teacher]
Russ Offline
Geezer

So... I recently received a County Comm Bail Out Bag. Its format is that of a largish range bag, with large mesh pockets inside the main compartment and extra pockets on the outside; there’s plenty of room for gear you’d like to grab on your way out the door.

In keeping with the non-camping theme of this thread, what would you include and how would you organize gear in this bag? What gear do you need immediate access to and in which compartment/pocket/pouch would it go?

I’ll be playing with this bag tomorrow — adding gear, moving it around, testing to see what fits, what doesn’t and that’s just with the outside pockets/pouches that will be relatively static. The main compartment will be more seasonal/situational.

#293200 - 09/01/19 04:00 PM Re: A non camping GHB/ BOB [Re: Russ]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Russ
So... I recently received a County Comm Bail Out Bag.

One of the outside compartments is a good fit for a big Leatherman multitool.

There is a long compartment for long tools like a small crowbar.

#293201 - 09/01/19 04:24 PM Re: A non camping GHB/ BOB [Re: Bingley]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Thanks. A Leartherman SuperTool 300 will be included, not sure which pouch/pocket yet. A prybar is a good idea but I need to consider which prybar and then which compartment.

This is different from my other kits. By leaving out shelter and food/cooking needs it becomes something of a tool kit. FAK & overnight bag combo. It will not be lightweight.

#293237 - 09/03/19 06:40 PM Re: A non camping GHB/ BOB [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Quick access: raincoat, flashlight, water.

#293242 - 09/03/19 07:03 PM Re: A non camping GHB/ BOB [Re: Bingley]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I am afraid the bag that Russ is talking about is Gen8, and the outside pockets are not the same as the traditional County Comm bag we are used to. Please see the video

By the way, I like the overall the design ( Middle compartment, one large pocket on one side and two pockets on the other). However, I don't like Velcro surfaces on the inside , and do not care for concealed carry. Given these, is there a bag like the shown country comm bag without the Velcro surface and two admin pouches instead ??? I mean to have two fixed admin pouches that do not need variable attachments to stick inside

Edited to add :
Usual contents are
# multitools, pens, screwdrivers, flashlights.
# Some A4 files, mini-tablet, reading glasses
# small first aid kit
# Some empty space in case I buy something
And other work & city stuff

Edited by Chisel (09/03/19 07:08 PM)

#293243 - 09/03/19 08:01 PM Re: A non camping GHB/ BOB [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The internal loop surface could perhaps be customized with hook-surfaced pouches? Vertx in particular makes very nice ones.

#293247 - 09/03/19 10:01 PM Re: A non camping GHB/ BOB [Re: Chisel]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Which is what I did with the loop surface on the full length side pocket. The interior loop surface will probably remain clear. If that had been a hook srface as they mistakenly mentioned a couple time it would have been a non-starter — useless.

The hidden interior pocket where he showed the holster is empty; I’m in California so no concealed carry here either, good way to get in serious legal trouble. Aside from being hidden, the hidden pocket is full length velcro with no easy finger purchase; I’d hate to need access to that pocket while the clock was ticking.

So far the two exterior pouches have gone all FAK — one small kit for everyday cuts and scapes, and the balnce for more serious wounds — large bandages for direct pressure, tourniquets, et al.

The admin pocket is getting pens, paper, various USB cables, power bank, with slots for smart & not-so-smart phones. Leatherman multi-tool will be in one of the end pockets and I’ve attached a small pouch on the strap which will accommodate a MT or largish SAK. One of my empty nalgene 32 ounce bottles will be in the large compartment, ready to fill as needed.

It’s a work in progress, not yet ready for prime time.

#293255 - 09/04/19 12:03 AM Re: A non camping GHB/ BOB [Re: teacher]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I don’t have the new Gen8 CountyComm BOB, but I have had a couple of the previous models. I live in a state with legal concealed carry and I’m not a fan of the concealed carry pocket in these bags either.

Off-body carry is very unusual for me, but when I do the bag I use has a dedicated, outside-accessible pocket with a retainer (the VertX Belt Adapter Panel) holding a kydex holster in place. The idea is that I can draw the firearm from the bag quickly, or I can move the firearm and its holster out of the bag and onto my belt.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.