Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#293005 - 08/17/19 01:44 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
rI have a Vulture II and there are better packs out there.

I must be missing something. The part I'm quoting does not make sense.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293007 - 08/17/19 01:56 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
typo " I have a Vulture II" I would not recommend this pack

#293013 - 08/17/19 09:12 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The Maxpedition packs seem to be built for "tactical-ness" and durability, not so much for comfort. I have some of their packs and I wouldn't choose them for a long hike but for something that will ride in a vehicle or sit at home most of the time I think they're pretty good (and of course very well constructed).

If comfort is the priority, maybe just get a hiking pack. I like Mystery Ranch, Hill People Gear, Kelty, Osprey and Granite Gear but there are many good brands.

#293014 - 08/17/19 09:31 PM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

The other day I asked Mom if she was willing to buy a more expensive Hanukkah gift if it is survival related. She said yes. I'm not sure if, at the time, I had a more exact dollar amount. Just for the bag that I prefer to have (still not 100% clear on the quality of the Echo-Sigma bag) and the starter kit, I'm looking somewhere from $190 to $195.

When I mentioned the approximate amount, she sidestepped a bit stating that kind of money would be better spent on bugging in.

I'm glad she's prepping to bug in. That's better than most people. I don't want every egg in one basket.

She wants me to get out of debt before I spend any more money and there is certainly a lot of logic to that.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293016 - 08/18/19 12:03 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I am positive you can exceed the quality of what I think you are considering to purchase, the Gatapack, for considerably less that their "sale" price and simultaneously remedy some of its deficiencies, and for that matter, obtain gear more suitable for your situation.

You probably have many of the items lying around - just a matter of organization.

#293018 - 08/18/19 01:40 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

I take it that you mean the contents of the Quick Pack and not the entire kit.

I, of course, have a more comprehensive medical kit than AMK that GATA included. I have a total of four D-Cell MAG-LITE flashlights. I have pens, markers, a few notebooks, a few emergency blankets, two pairs of gloves and a Fox 40 on my keychain. Otherwise, I have nothing GATA includes.

As I said recently, except for my EDC bag which I built from the ground up, I've had better luck with modifying something off-the-shelf than building something from scratch. Since I have not built a survival kit and my one attempt in modifying a survival kit failed, I figure this would be a place to start.

Jeanette Isabelle

#293020 - 08/18/19 02:55 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Something you may have considered is whether or not the backpak will be carried or is simply carry-able. For a bag that will be carried on a long walk/hike, go to REI and try out a number of bags that are designed for hikers. It may cost a bit more, but it’s money well spent.

For a bag that is only needed to be carried a short distance, the weight and comfort aren’t as critical and maybe that heavy nylon canvas used by Max-P is a better choice.

#293021 - 08/18/19 03:06 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

What is really critical are the circumstances in which you will use this kit. How far do you intend to travel, what mode of transportation, under what weather conditions, etc. These factors determine what is included and what is left if bugging out is the strategy.

Just for starters, I would ditch the Chem lights and the hand warmers, as well as the silly AMK kit. I would include a knife, probably a Mora (several models are suitable), a much better multi-tool (lots of options here), a Bic, and a signal mirror.

In place of the Nalgene and the water packets,recycle a Gatorade bottle and fill it with good old tap water.

#293025 - 08/18/19 04:44 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Gatorade bottles are designed to be used once. Recycled gatorade bottles are fine until they fail, then they are pretty much useless.

I just bought a new REI branded Nalgene bottle. They are tough and designed to be used over and over and....

#293026 - 08/18/19 05:14 AM Re: Echo-Sigma Backpacks [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I just read an article about the risks of reusing disposable plastic bottles. Suffice to say it's not a good practice. In a pinch it can be done but you're much better off with a bottle made to be reused. I like stainless steel but I'm a fan of regular Nalgenes, too.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 353 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.