Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#292694 - 07/05/19 04:05 AM Re: A very humbling 'survival' experience! [Re: teacher]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: teacher
"I could have removed 1/3 of it and added a down jacket or something."

Much of what you need is lots of the same thing; insulation, water, batteries, food.
Don't get caught in packing every little do-dad.

1. Do I have the basics?
2. Am I sure?
3. Does my buddy have his?

So true! It didn't immediately occur to me that my buddy wasn't carrying a water bottle with him. I did wouldn't have thought it would be a big issue since we were together but when he lit out on his own it could have been an issue. You can't walk a hundred yards through that part of Idaho without stepping across a creek, stream or spring so probably he's have been fine but it's a valid concern.

This was literally the first time in recent memory that I've been out in the mountains without a jacket or second layer. Hard to imagine what possessed me; best I can explain was that it was get-home-itus.

Ultimately though anything that doesn't kill a person can be a lesson. I will tweak my kit a little bit. When you're sitting at home it 's easy to 'war game' things and envision scenarios where you'll need a certain item. And just because I didn't need a given thing this time doesn't guarantee I won't need it next. But a few things probably could be omitted.

I must also sing an ode to the power of duct tape! When my tarp ripped in a couple spots it saved me from having to deploy another. Plus it was easier to modify the lay of the blanket with some tape vs tying more knots.

#292695 - 07/05/19 04:10 AM Re: A very humbling 'survival' experience! [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Montanero is exactly right and it is now true confession time for ol' Hikermor.

Last month I was out on Santa Rosa Island, one of the Channel Islands, which I had first seen in 1982, and an island on which I have spent extensive time since, doing archaeology and some paleontology. I and two companions were checking out reports of paleo material about three miles from the road.

Returning, I started back before my buddies, since I am hiking slower and slower these days. To make a long story short, I became confused and was headed in the wrong direction, about 90 degrees off course, when my companions caught up with me and steered me straight.

What happened?

I had a map, but it was tucked away in my pack - never referenced. - wrong!

I had spent time on the island, but this was my first time in this area (SRI is a really big island - 53,000 acres, with lots to see).

Pretty easy to get complacent if you're been on the island a bit, even if not in that area. Always wise to confirm position!

Originally Posted By: hikermor

I also had allowed myself to become a bit dehydrated. This is unforgivable. I know much better, but the water was stowed in my pack and I was trying not to slow the group too much.

Ah, the insidious foe- dehydration! When exerting oneself it's easy to go through a lot more water than you'd think. I began my adventure with two full liter Nalgenes and wound up drinking them both (save a bit I used to extinguish my small fire).

I'm glad it worked out okay!

#292722 - 07/08/19 08:45 PM Re: A very humbling 'survival' experience! [Re: Roarmeister]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Excellent write up Phaedrus. You won't get any piling on from me though.

It did remind me of a video I saw the other day. At the Global Bushcraft Symposium held north of Calgary last week, one of the speakers was an excellent French Canadian bushcraft/survival expert (Andre Francois Bourbeau). His topic as on risk management and one of my key take-a-ways was the concept that very rarely when things go wrong that they happen all at once or in one big event. Rather it is a series of missteps and decisions that are made that eventually make up the risk event.

If you get a chance to watch, he is both very entertaining and full of great information. Andre Francois Bourbeau - keynote presentation

FYI, I have a long road trip on remote gravel road planned for in the next few weeks (i.e. the Dempster Highway to the Arctic Ocean). I plan to have the mini-spare tire, a second full size spare tire, a trailer spare tire and my tire repair kit as well as extra fuses, clamps, fluids, gas, and tool kit.

Andre Francois Bourbeau stress something we rarely talk about, luck or lack thereof, if you are lucky we never hear about you, but get enough of what Andre says are red and yellow flags and then add in some bad luck and we end up talking about it.

I highly recommend listing to this and every other presentation from the 2019 Global Bushcraft Symposium. Most of the Keynotes are on YouTube, but sadly only maybe 10% of the sessions and none of the conversations which lasted from 07:00 until at least 22:00 each day. This level of presentation is why I mentioned a few months ago to everyone that they should take the time to attend, getting the perspective and knowledge from real experts from 5 countries, spread across two continents is a rare thing. Hopefully we will get the chance in 6 to 8 years to run another in North America. Next one is in 2021 in the UK.
boreal.net

#292756 - 07/13/19 07:19 AM Re: A very humbling 'survival' experience! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks so much for the link, Roarmeister! Bourbeau's presentation might be the best single survival video I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot). I highly recommend it to anyone that has not seen it.

#292758 - 07/14/19 09:05 PM Re: A very humbling 'survival' experience! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Last night I noticed I had some rewards points built up so I decided to order the Helikon-Tex Swagman Roll Poncho from Amazon. It's a lot like the HPG Mountain Serape I think. It's got Climashield Apex insulation which is what Wiggy's uses to make Lamalite so I have a lot of confidence that it will be warm even when wet. The Swagman roll can be worn as a ponch/coat, spread out as a blanket and even has a zipper to convert it into a sleeping bag. Over the last couple months I've read a lot of reviews and watched quite a few videos on Youtube of this item and it seems pretty good. While it comes with a stuff sack I ordered a couple of compression sacks, too, one of which I'll use to cram this down smaller. The one I ordered is in Flecktarn camo; a bright color would be better I suppose but they don't offer one. Flecktarn is probably my favorite camo though and it will match my German rain poncho! grin However, I do have Orange and Yellow ponchos for emergency use.

Also, I think I'm going to ditch the Hazard 4 Rocket Sling Bag in favor of a more conventional 2-strap bag. I have a Mystery Ranch Gallagator on order; if it meets my expectations I'll use it for my ditch-bag/dayhike-survival kit. The Rocket has some cool features but when fully loaded it's not super comfy for long hikes (after carrying it a few hours I decided that two straps would be better than one).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.