Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#292602 - 06/28/19 08:57 PM Preparing for (much) worse weather...
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Have your preps changed for 'more extreme' weather events?
Hotter. Colder.
More intense storms and more frequent.
Larger floods.

#292626 - 06/30/19 10:05 PM Re: Preparing for (much) worse weather... [Re: teacher]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Yes.
Colder seems unlikely based on recent trends, but it is prudent to be prepared.
Hotter, yes.
Wetter, yes.

The main risk around here is flooding. It is most unlikely that my home will be flooded as I am atop a hill. Significant disruption to utilities and food supplies seems possible.

I have therefore increased supplies of food and fuel, and water purification equipment.

I have also reviewed plans for not just sheltering in place but for hiding in place.
I am concerned that TPTB might order evacuation, and I would prefer to remain in place, partly for fear of looters.
In such circumstances, dark curtains should be closed in the early stages of any emergency, to avoid subsequent opening/closing of curtains that suggests that someone is within.

#292634 - 07/01/19 01:13 PM Re: Preparing for (much) worse weather... [Re: adam2]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Your situation may very, but in my neck of the woods (SoCal), "mandatory" evacs aren't all that mandatory. if you choose to shelter in place, you are allowed to remain and no one will order you from your home at gunpoint,etc. If necessary, resources will probably be diverted to your rescue and salvation - resources that could better be utilized in dealing with the emergency.

Everyone;s situation is a bit different, and it comes down to a personal decision, weighing all the factors involved. I live in a mandatory evac zone from the Thomas fire, of a couple of years ago, and I left willingly, transporting our essentials and knowing that the dwelling was insured. I was helping things by getting our of the way o the firefighters, so they could concentrate on the fire.

It is very difficult to communicate on a fire line, when your voice commands are overwhelmed by the screams of the dying....

#292635 - 07/01/19 03:02 PM Re: Preparing for (much) worse weather... [Re: teacher]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Here in the UK there is some doubt and differing opinions as to how mandatory evacuations are.
I would prefer to keep a low profile rather than become a test case.

#292636 - 07/01/19 03:11 PM Re: Preparing for (much) worse weather... [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Your situation may very, but in my neck of the woods (SoCal), "mandatory" evacs aren't all that mandatory. if you choose to shelter in place, you are allowed to remain and no one will order you from your home at gunpoint,etc. If necessary, resources will probably be diverted to your rescue and salvation - resources that could better be utilized in dealing with the emergency. ...

Those resources will be sent if it is safe for the responders. At some point it might become very obvious why the mandatory evacuation was called and at that point officialdom may choose to not respond due to safety concerns. Some folks will stay in their home when the neighborhood is burning and at some point evacuation becomes impractical.

I’m also in SoCal and like Hikermor, when fire season comes I keep a close watch. I’ve had my truck packed and ready (w/ full tank of fuel) and could have left in minutes of a mandatory evacuation order. So far this little enclave has only been subject to voluntary evacuation and I’ve never had to leave. For the 2003 Cedar Fire I felt like the only guy still on the block (did I miss something?) — then a neighbor who happened to be a fireman came home to clean up and get a good night’s sleep. Even then I could smell the smoke.

#292645 - 07/02/19 09:42 AM Re: Preparing for (much) worse weather... [Re: teacher]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I live in the Netherlands. The biggest issue is flooding. We have a great water defense system and will be top notch for another 2 or 3 decades. But with the expected weather change, rising sea, and sinking land. These 2-3 decades will require action to safeguard it for the decades after that.

For short term; I decided for an apartment, instead of the ground floor. That prevents me from having issues from a sudden extreme downpour (has not happened yet).

For long term 2 -3 decades, I'll look at the development of the water defense. if that is lacking; I'll just try to sell the place of and move before the rest thinks of it. Working to pay off the place (so I can sell it off easily), have good financial buffer and marketability to find a job elsewhere is getting worked on.

As for mandatory evacuations; the place is insured and I don't have much attachment to stuff. So I don't see the point in staying during an evacuation. My life is far more important. Stuff is insured, even when not I can afford to replace my stuff immediately, likely more than once (well except for the apartment). I do have basics like water and food, in case I need to stay in place.

#292841 - 07/29/19 12:46 PM Re: Preparing for (much) worse weather... [Re: teacher]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Here in the UK we have just had a short spell of extreme heat.
We have had the hottest ever recorded day in July, and may have surpassed the hottest ever day in the UK.

The main consequences were transport disruption with many reports of people confined in overcrowded trains without air conditioning.

The heatwave was followed by thunderstorms and flooding, most unfortunate for those affected, but not very widespread.

I was certainly glad of a portable air conditioner, used reluctantly due to the electricity consumption and noise. Permanently installed air conditioning is not common in the UK.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.