Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#291641 - 01/16/19 09:04 PM Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Its Winter here in the North.
What are your preps for very cold weather and frequent blizzards and super storms?

#291642 - 01/16/19 09:21 PM Re: Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps [Re: TeacherRO]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
I have a very good kerosene heater and 10 gallons of fuel set aside
in case of a power outage.if it went until the house started getting cold we would move into a smaller room and keep that warm
enough to get by.we have gas heat and I did think about at generator to run the furnace but we and the area of Minneapolis we
live in has never had a loss of power in the winter.even in the summer things get fixed fairly fast.
we have had some major storms but never felt trapped at home as the city does a great job of clearing the streets.

#291644 - 01/16/19 09:50 PM Re: Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
At home: Gas-powered generator and stablized gas in storage. Electric space heaters. Appropriate base layers, footwear and outerwear for all family members. Food and water stored. Tape, heavy tarps, and lighter plastic sheets available to improve insulation in a specific room if needed.

In each car: Snow brush/ice scraper, high quality snow shovel, full emergency kit to include Heatsheets blankets, emergency candles, camp stove. Each car is in excellent mechanical condition and maintained carefully.

My car: I go on far more long road trips than the other members of my family, and I am almost always riding solo. I have a military surplus extreme cold weather sleep system along with the other items.

#291646 - 01/16/19 10:50 PM Re: Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Plenty of warm clothing. Fireplace w/modest supply of firewood. Portable solar panels and power banks to keep cell phones and small lights operating.

Several small camp stoves and canisters, plus a two burner propane stove and fuel canisters for it. Sleeping bags, tents, and tarps for improvised shelter. Normally stocked pantry and freezer plus canned goods for backup.

Mostly concerned about earthquakes, which won't necessarily occur on a bright, sunny day.
hereinter is not a big deal, unless you go up into the hills....

#291648 - 01/17/19 12:16 AM Re: Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps [Re: TeacherRO]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
We have spare food and water, as well as multiple battery and white gas lighting options. We have 4-20 lb propane tanks and a case of 1 lb tanks, and two propane heaters. One wood burning fireplace and one natural gas fireplace in the house. Multiple wood and propane cooking options. All vehicles have survival supplies to include coats, blankets, freeze resistant food, a way to melt snow for water, shovels, jumper cables, tools, simple weapons, and a way to carry the essentials if we end up on foot somehow. In case of civil unrest, we are prepared and aligned with like-minded and capable neighbors. In this area, local gov't has a gigantic fleet of snow removal equipment, but they can't control a large scale power outage caused by severe weather. Stores will be quickly stripped of essentials. Blizzard and extended power outage are the most likely large scale survival scenario in this area IMO.

#291649 - 01/17/19 12:38 AM Re: Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My brother lives in northern Minnesota, and his winter preps are very similar to yours. Makes a lot of sense....

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 191 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.