Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#291572 - 01/08/19 01:25 PM UK Brexit
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
More for your information than any request.

The United Kingdom voted to leave the Europe Union in June 2016 and is likely to leave on the 29th March this year. Commonly called 'Brexit' (British Exit).

The decision is causing strife as it was a close call 52%-48% and certain areas e.g. Scotland voting overwhelmingly to stay in the European Union 62%-33%. It was a countrywide referendum so the smaller areas are interesting but have no influence over the final outcome. Many are demanding a new referendum hoping it goes the other way.

The strife has been long and loud, from family level infighting, to the politicians supposedly carrying out the wishes of the people but instead backing their own wishes (twas ever thus). Some also talk of actual riots in the streets if they don't get their own way, even after the democratic vote. Confidence in politicians and our political system is very low.

Of more interest to this site are the threats to our resilience being made: no fresh food from abroad for many weeks due to deliberatly slow customs clearance. (The EU are unhappy about us leaving and taking our money away). Larger companies running out of imported parts as they run a just in time business. Air transport being shut down as no CAA (=FAA) licences being void. and so on and so on.

Many big organisations are stockpiling items, so much so no warehousing is now available in the UK three months ahead of leaving. If you have not reserved it, tough, it is gone.

On a personal level it is difficult to know what to do. There may be shortages of fruit and pork products but who knows. Some foodstuffs we are self sufficient. Many we are not. There are news items that we will run out of water treatment chemicals and will have to shut down a few water treatment centres but there are other news items saying that is not the case!

Over all, it will be an interesting six months or so and you may want to keep tabs on what is happening inside a modern, rich country and how it deals with such a major change in direction. The key word in searches is 'Brexit'.

CNN Report

Edited by Ian (01/08/19 01:34 PM)
Edit Reason: Added link

#291574 - 01/08/19 09:33 PM Re: UK Brexit [Re: Ian]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Ian
Over all, it will be an interesting six months or so and you may want to keep tabs on what is happening inside a modern, rich country and how it deals with such a major change in direction. The key word in searches is 'Brexit'.

Yes, it will be "interesting" to say the least! I've been following it somewhat from this side of the pond. I've read that one of the unintended consequences might be a big issue for your National Health Service? It seems that a large percentage of the doctors, nurses, and other health professionals in the UK are from other EU countries, and their status is presently rather uncertain?

Shortly after the initial Brexit vote, we took advantage of the hit the Pound took relative to the US Dollar, and made a tourist visit to London and the surrounding area. We had wonderful time while there. I really hope you get this sorted out with the minimum of pain and stress to all concerned!

#291575 - 01/08/19 11:31 PM Re: UK Brexit [Re: Ian]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Ian, I'll look forward to your "boots on the ground" reports regarding any disruption or (hopefully) lack thereof.

#291576 - 01/09/19 09:34 AM Re: UK Brexit [Re: Ian]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
AKSAR.

Glad you enjoyed yourselves. We might visit the US again once you have your border controls fixed, we are never risking a four hour standing wait again.

Tap us up next time you are over here. We live in Scotland near one of the 'touristy' areas, St Andrews, and you, or indeed, others on this board, will always be welcome.

#291593 - 01/10/19 12:07 AM Re: UK Brexit [Re: Ian]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

We have handled this sort of thing before, and this time there are no U-Boats!

#291596 - 01/10/19 05:11 AM Re: UK Brexit [Re: gonewiththewind]
Herman30 Online   content
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Montanero
We have handled this sort of thing before, and this time there are no U-Boats!

Are you sure?! Who know what Jean-Claude Drunker will come up with. laugh
https://www.google.com/search?q=Jean-Cla...061&bih=575

Edited by Herman30 (01/10/19 05:13 AM)

#291603 - 01/10/19 03:21 PM Re: UK Brexit [Re: Ian]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I consider that it is prudent to keep a good stock of food, fuel, and other supplies in case of any untoward events.

Not specifically for Brexit though.
Any significant shortages of imported would surprise me, Why would the EU obstruct or delay food exports from France* into the UK. They will have to deal with some very angry French* farmers if the export earnings of said farmers are affected.

Still well to be prepared though, just in case.

I consider it more likely that exports FROM the UK and into or via France* will be interrupted by some obstructive French* officials who may be under instructions to look very hard for any errors or non compliance with the rules.

I consider street protests to be possible, but not primarily over Brexit, even if that be the catalyst.
Violent protests over general dissatisfaction with the government seem more likely, as have recently broken out in France.

*there is of course more to the EU than France, but France IS a leading EU power, and is the nearest part of the EU to the mainland UK.
Most trade between the UK and the EU is either with France, or goes via France.

#291605 - 01/10/19 05:05 PM Re: UK Brexit [Re: adam2]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Prudence is key. Brexit could bring about a number of unintended (but not totally unforeseen) consequences. There may very well be brief shortages — brief for those of us eating popcorn on the sidelines ... not necessarily brief for those at the epicenter of the issue. French farmers may have food for Britain, but there are other players on both sides of the channel. Hope it all goes well.

#291615 - 01/11/19 08:58 PM Re: UK Brexit [Re: Ian]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Ian wrote
> no fresh food from abroad for many weeks due to deliberatly slow customs clearance. (The EU are unhappy about us leaving and taking our money away).

Please provide the evidence for this.

qjs

#291621 - 01/12/19 04:59 AM Re: UK Brexit [Re: quick_joey_small]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Brexit is a unique circumstance and it is therefore virtually impossible to provide any evidence as to the seriousness or otherwise of the consequences.

My view is that significant shortages of imported food are most unlikely for reasons already given, still well to be prepared though "just in case"

And of course some unrelated issues could disrupt food, or fuel supplies.

Brexit should not unduly distract one from wider issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.