The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#291352 - 12/11/18 04:56 PM Overcoming Obstacles
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I'm getting useful information from the thread "What Do I Bring When Bugging Out?" Keep it up.

There is more to bugging out than the stuff you bring with you. My idea of roughing it is a house with no electricity and no running water.

As for my experience with a tent, I still need therapy to get over that. I also want to avoid a FEMA camp about as much as I want to avoid Hell. In earlier conversations, some of you suggested a bug out location. Well, in addition to being expensive that won't do any good if we can't go there. A friend recommended a trailer; that only works if you can drive to where you need be.

I'm running out of ideas. The only possibility I see is to overcome my aversion to tents. Any suggestions?

Jeanette Isabelle

#291353 - 12/11/18 08:33 PM Re: Overcoming Obstacles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

You can read some of the work by psychologist Martin Seligman. Him and Donald Meichenbaum. Seligman's positive psychology and Meichenbaum's cognitive-behavior modification can help in overcoming anxiety and fears.

#291354 - 12/11/18 08:57 PM Re: Overcoming Obstacles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

If you have enough means and freedom, then after moving away from the inital danger and in a safe area; book a vacation and go on holiday.

Not much point in waiting in a motel/camp for weeks or months before you are even allowed back.

#291356 - 12/12/18 01:22 AM Re: Overcoming Obstacles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You mention "tents" when talking about a "fema camp", implying that a tent would be the shelter there. First of all, here in California, the disaster shelters are run by the American Red Cross, and they utilize standing buildings with indoor toilet and shower facilities - school gymnasiums are fairly typical. I believe this is fairly standard across the US.

There are tents and there are tents - some are very small and cramped, but appropriate for their intended use, and some are very large. They can be surprisingly comfortable. I have often stayed in tents during my career (the longest period was three months straight) in temperatures ranging from forty below to the high 90s, and they work quite well when properly erected and maintained.

Have you ever spent time in a tent? If not, a good experience most likely awaits you. I would second Montanero's advice in this regard; there are ways to diminish your aversion.

Finally, just what is a fema camp? On the survivalist websites, the term seems to denote a federal government camp, under very rigid controls - very similar, if not identical to a concentration camp. I don't believe that FEMA is actually in the business of directly running disaster shelters - that is more often the business of outfits like ARC. "Fema camp" seems to be a fictional construct, and a fairy tale bugaboo.

In practice, when we have had a disaster (large fire, for example), ARC operates a shelter at the local fair grounds, complete with accommodations for large and small animals. These are not heavily patronized since most people prefer to rent a room or stay with friends. And some of us leave hone with the option of pitching a tent somewhere nice.

#291357 - 12/12/18 02:41 AM Re: Overcoming Obstacles [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
You mention "tents" when talking about a "fema camp", implying that a tent would be the shelter there.

"Tents" and "FEMA camps" are separate.

Have you ever spent time in a tent? If not, a good experience most likely awaits you.

Yes, I have. No, it was not a good experience for me. My time in a tent summarizes everything that is wrong in this world.

I would second Montanero's advice in this regard; there are ways to diminish your aversion.

Speaking of cognitive therapy, I had a session with Colin Ross, a nationally-recognized expert on the subject. As fascinating as it was to my inner geek, I would be better off if I haven't.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291358 - 12/12/18 03:26 AM Re: Overcoming Obstacles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

Speaking of cognitive therapy, I had a session with Colin Ross, a nationally-recognized expert on the subject. As fascinating as it was to my inner geek, I would be better off if I haven't.

Jeanette Isabelle

Never heard of him, but I do know many people that it has helped. You say you suffer from anxiety, and that you have a fear of sleeping in tents, and that is the best way to deal with the fear. I have personally helped a few people get over a fear or overcome an obstacle using those methods. If done right, it does work.

#291359 - 12/12/18 03:40 AM Re: Overcoming Obstacles [Re: gonewiththewind]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Montanero
You say you suffer from anxiety, and that you have a fear of sleeping in tents, and that is the best way to deal with the fear.

I didn't say I have a fear of sleeping in tents.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291360 - 12/12/18 03:48 AM Re: Overcoming Obstacles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

As for my experience with a tent, I still need therapy to get over that......

I'm running out of ideas. The only possibility I see is to overcome my aversion to tents. Any suggestions?

Jeanette Isabelle

You were saying?

#291361 - 12/12/18 05:42 AM Re: Overcoming Obstacles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Online   content
Addict

Loc: Finland

I didn't say I have a fear of sleeping in tents.

Jeanette Isabelle

Could we please hear what you donīt like in tents?

#291364 - 12/12/18 12:34 PM Re: Overcoming Obstacles [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

As it is said in psychiatric circles, I had an unhealthy experience in a tent. That does not mean I have tisantaphobia.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.