Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#291350 - 12/11/18 02:13 PM Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
LED MagLites are almost unbelievably rugged and reliable and on fresh batteries run for a long time.

#291365 - 12/12/18 07:43 PM Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
A firearm with cleaning tools and ammunition will always be on my list, as will be rain gear, a lightweight pot, a multi tool, and a good belt knife with sharpener (among other things already mentioned)

I would have to pick-up and go in a more remote setting and my gear needs to reflect that. Bugging out still remains an absolute last resort for me though. Most disaster scenarios will have me trying to get to work to deploy with my unit (worst case) or just getting a hotel quickly as I need to temporarily leave my house (fires, floods etc)

I have more of a bug out plan than a dedicated bug out bag these days. That’s largely due to where I live. No earthquakes or tsunamis round these parts.

My “screw around in the woods”/hunting/hiking/kayaking/camping gear is within easy reach and well maintained. It wouldn’t take me long to put something together if I had to.

#291370 - 12/12/18 10:13 PM Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

An alternative method:
1) start with what you would pack in an overnight bag for a weekend away
2) and anything unique to you; meds, tools, (think glasses) ( also your pets)
3) add food & other consumables (batteries,TP & water)
4) seasonably and region appropriate clothing
5) Paperwork (usually contained in your wallet) plus scrips, ids etc.**
6) Electronics (tablet, radio, etc)
7) comfort items

**include paper copies of things like phone numbers,etc

#291375 - 12/12/18 11:56 PM Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? [Re: TeacherRO]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
7) comfort items

That is one of the things I'm working on, making my "comfort item" as small and lightweight as possible.

I have since worked on reducing the weight and thickness; at the last time I weighed my life's story in the form of two paper folders, it was 11 5/8" x 9 1/2" x 3/8" and weighs 15 1/2 oz.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291379 - 12/13/18 01:16 AM Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Yes, comfort items - (we call it snivel kit in the Army)

If I ever do leave my house in an emergency thinking I will never return I will damn well be bringing a few bottles of my top shelf scotch. Lol. I don’t care what it weighs and what I have to leave behind. That which I can’t carry will thus be consumed before I set forth. As a result I may only make it to the end of my driveway after the apocalypse hits.

#291381 - 12/13/18 01:57 AM Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? [Re: Taurus]
Carpal Tunnel

I don't drink. Therefore, I can't make a determination, for or against, on the practicality of consuming scotch before bugging out.

I will, however, attempt to convey the importance of going beyond your driveway when bugging out.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291382 - 12/13/18 02:08 AM Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I don't drink.....

WHAT ON EARTH!!!

You’re probably right about the whole driveway thing though. I prep and plan, same as most of you but if the ballon ever does go up I’ll likely end up running down the street in my underwear with a backpack full of scotch and a fire steel waiving a glow stick around over my head singing something by CCR as it Will most likely occur whilst I’m under the influence.

Meh....

Edited by Taurus (12/13/18 02:12 AM)

#291383 - 12/13/18 02:16 AM Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? [Re: Taurus]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Taurus
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I don't drink.....

WHAT ON EARTH!!!

I'm one-quarter French and yet I don't drink wine.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291390 - 12/13/18 03:42 AM Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? [Re: Taurus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Taurus
Yes, comfort items - (we call it snivel kit in the Army)

If I ever do leave my house in an emergency thinking I will never return I will damn well be bringing a few bottles of my top shelf scotch. Lol. I don’t care what it weighs and what I have to leave behind. That which I can’t carry will thus be consumed before I set forth. As a result I may only make it to the end of my driveway after the apocalypse hits.

I’m trying to imagine what would happen if I consumed, let’s say two bottles of liquor that we couldn’t find room for in a “we’re never coming home” scenario. Let’s just say that if the apocalypse held off until I regained consciousness, I’d be devoutly hoping that it would come shortly thereafter.

#291392 - 12/13/18 04:02 AM Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? [Re: Taurus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Now I know this is just light hearted internet repartee, but I do have to protest. If you are bugging out,engaged in any kink of emergency outdoors, or operating beyond the end of your driveway in an outdoors environment, leave the booze alone....

I have hauled out way too many seriously injured, as well as dead, individuals doing SAR that I personally stopped drinking entirely for several years (I now consume about 2 oz of wine at dinnertime on occasion).

It's way too easy to get into outdoors trouble with booze in the outdoors. Alcohol was at least a contributing factor in the majority of the operations we performed over several years.

On the other hand, a high proof whiskey, or Everclear, makes an acceptable stove fuel or fire accelerant.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 173 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.