Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#290997 - 11/03/18 01:38 PM Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/...ce?utm_campaign

This article gives an in depth look at the recently activated early warning system, which is now partially functioning - a ew seconds warning is better than none at all...

#291002 - 11/04/18 12:03 AM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I hope that early warning system gives you some small piece of mind, ‘cause it may be needed sooner than you think.
California Hit By 39 Quakes In 24 Hours ...eas Fault"

39 shakes in <24 hours is in itself a warning of sorts.

#291003 - 11/04/18 02:42 AM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Zero Hedge certainly doesn't minimize the problem, but I prefer the information provided by the USGS; https://earthquake.usgs.gov/. You can read a piece concerning the Hayward Fault which is concerning, without hyping the very definite hazards.

The problem is that earthquakes are, as far as we know now, inherently unpredictable. Sometimes smaller quakes are foreshocks for larger ones, but quite often they are not. One can only be certain after the events have played out. Sometimes smaller quakes relieve strain on a fault system, but they also can increase strain and trigger a big one.

One can be certain that earthquakes will happen, at unpredictable intervals, at unpredictable intensities and that the current best strategy is to be alert and organized.

My gas tank is approaching half full; remind me to fill up tomorrow.

As it currently stands, the early warning system is of limited or no value to the general populace, but enhancements are coming. Developers are warning that there will be inevitable bugs in the system, leading to false alarms, etc. The hope is that these glitches will not cause us to lose faith in the system.

#292072 - 04/02/19 12:46 PM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

“A pro tells us the 4 items you need in your emergency kit” - LA Times

The regulars here will view this as more of the same and what a minimal kit it is. But the premise is that you can build it yourself. All the basics: food & water, flashlight, whistle, radio ... and she adds a power bank to keep your cellphone charged.

It’s a good read, a reminder for most of us and a good place to start for folks who are new to disaster preparedness.

If you are in SOCAL or anywhere with lots of free sun, I would add a backpack-able solar panel to keep the power bank charged.

#292074 - 04/02/19 05:24 PM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I read the same article this morning. I do not agree with Jeanette's FAK recommendation. A person can get a better FAK for $25.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/first-aid-kit-351-pieces/prod20200504.ip?xid=plp_product_1_1

Jeanette Isabelle

#292078 - 04/03/19 02:23 AM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

We can discuss FAKs until the cows come home and I believe we have a thread that is doing that right now. In general, the article gives rather sound advice.

Ideally, a FAK should be fine tuned to the capabilities and training o the person(s) using it. The very best and most cost effective FAK is the one you assemble yourself.

#292079 - 04/03/19 02:38 AM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
The very best and most cost effective FAK is the one you assemble yourself.

I disagree with your comment on what is a cost-effective kit. I don't believe it is possible for an individual to assemble the FAK I listed for less than $25.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292080 - 04/03/19 02:59 AM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Feel perfectly free to disagree to your heart's content. I am not impressed with a "351 item" kit which is nearly 50% bandaids,at least for something like treating potential EQ injuries, which are very likely to involve major trauma (as well as extrication issues)The Sams Club kit looks like it is aimed at the typical office situation - (paper cuts and the like). Probably OK for that purpose and it meets OSHA standards!!!

#292082 - 04/03/19 12:37 PM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

I don't like its advertisement either. Nevertheless, I have tested many off-the-shelf first aid kits made by a variety of companies. I feel confident in saying that this FAK offers the best bang for the buck.

I don't think it is possible for an individual to build a comparably equipped FAK for less than $25 unless said individual already has some of the components or can get them at a discounted price.

Jeanette Isabelle

#292084 - 04/03/19 01:11 PM Re: Shaken not stirred - Earthquake Early Warning [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

My FAK’s are more like mini-trauma kits. A few band-aids, but those are mostly in the medicine cabinet at home. The FAK’s I carry are for serious injuries — major bleeding. A lot of the on-the-shelf kits are simply band-aids — and each one is counted in their number of components.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.