Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#290453 - 09/10/18 01:09 AM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Treeseeker]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
If you evacuate and can't go back for some time, one of the primary things you are going to need is documentation. Go to the Listening to Katrina website for lots of good information about Documentation.

All of this will fit on a USB drive. This is part of my EDC. You can also encrypt it and store it on the cloud.

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Photos can be digitized, if they are not already, and placed in a USB drive. What if the USB drive is taken out by an EMP, damaged in some other way or I have limited computer access? I can't put all of my eggs in one basket.

I've read that before. I didn't think it was all that helpful. I'll reread it just in case I find something valuable the second time around.

I'm rereading it. It's good to refresh because one of the things he drives home is getting a laptop. A laptop is something I'm considering; I can't afford to buy one at this time. I believe I will in two years.

Beyond what I've stated, there is something about a tangible item that can't be quantified.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290550 - 09/15/18 12:30 AM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts Mom will pack her grandmother's Bible.

It's a prayer book, not a Bible. Anyhow, I was surprised when she said she would not bring it with her (unless there is space available) when I brought up this subject. Her reasoning is history does not matter when you are in survival mode.

We would permanently leave our home and go to our bug out location; I would not go so far to say we would be in survival mode.

Hikermor said the most important thing is our DNA. I agree; our history has to be a close second.

Am I the only one who places great importance on preserving history? I know that when we permanently vacate, we can't bring an entire library with us. We have to prioritize. I can't do that for anyone except myself. I hope what I bring not only encompasses my history but some history of others as well.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290627 - 09/20/18 02:20 AM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I hate to repeat a question; no one answered. I'll rephrase the question.

The original post was about comfort items. After going after what I have multiple times, I believe what I need to focus on has changed. This is more about history. A lot, not everything, can be placed on a USB drive. Either way, hard copies are needed because no one knows what will happen. Something can happen to hard copies. No matter how you look at it, a minimum of two types of copies is needed.

My question: We left our home. We will never see it again. We managed to save our DNA. How important is the recorded history I brought with me? Should I concern myself with what people from another time will learn about myself, family and friends? Should I concern myself with what they will learn about our time? Most of it is paper. Therefore it does not take up a lot of space; it does some.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290857 - 10/14/18 05:49 PM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I can get a lot of stuff, fifteen years of my life (1994-2009), into a 1" binder.

I have a few other things that are small that I can include.

I most likely will not bring the CD set with me. It's too bulky and there is nothing about it to tell my story. After all, the point is to preserve my history.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290936 - 10/23/18 09:07 PM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I can get a lot of stuff, fifteen years of my life (1994-2009), into a 1" binder.

I have a few other things that are small that I can include.

I've been working on this project almost every day and the contents from the 1" binder are now in two folders, saving space. Moreover, the stuff in them is more organized. I was even able to include a letter and a birthday card in one of the pockets.

To get all of the printed E-mail in one folder, I had to prioritize. If an E-mail did not have enough relevant information, it had to go.

The more I work on it, the more it's about preserving fifteen years of my life (1994 - 2009). As for why those fifteen years and no more, I'm not sure.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290937 - 10/23/18 09:18 PM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For digital storage, do you have everything you need backed up on an SD or micro-SD card? Small, relatively rugged and you can tape one or two inside your 1” binder. All you need later is a compatible PC.

#290938 - 10/23/18 10:26 PM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
For digital storage, do you have everything you need backed up on an SD or micro-SD card? Small, relatively rugged and you can tape one or two inside your 1” binder. All you need later is a compatible PC.

A lot, not everything, can be placed on a USB drive. Either way, hard copies are needed because no one knows what will happen. Something can happen to hard copies. No matter how you look at it, a minimum of two types of copies is needed.

#290989 - 11/01/18 01:29 AM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

The more I work on it, the more it's about preserving fifteen years of my life (1994 - 2009). As for why those fifteen years and no more, I'm not sure.

Correction. It's a story that begins with the March 19, 1994 entry of my friend's journal to an E-mail Aiesha sent to me on August 11, 2009.

I'm not sure why my story (told through a journal, E-mail, drawings and a letter) does not go beyond August 11, 2009; there it is. Perhaps there is a record, somewhere, that picks up where Aiesha's E-mail ends.

In any case, a person's history or story is worth preserving even if they are not coming home again.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291037 - 11/09/18 02:04 AM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Correction. It's a story that begins with the March 19, 1994 entry of my friend's journal to an E-mail Aiesha sent to me on August 11, 2009.

I'm not sure why my story (told through a journal, E-mail, drawings and a letter) does not go beyond August 11, 2009; there it is. Perhaps there is a record, somewhere, that picks up where Aiesha's E-mail ends.

As I scanned all the e-mail threads I have in my inbox (there is a lot) I found an e-mail conversation from April 12, 2012, that helps to tie up a loose end. Nevertheless, I now have a nearly three-year gap from the previous e-mail, sent on August 11, 2009, to April 12, 2012.

I'm still looking for records, in any form, that tells my story.

I was able to more trimming by removing stuff that is more confusing than helpful.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291069 - 11/12/18 06:41 PM Re: I'm Not Coming Home [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Some memories are in the form of hand tools. That is an easy decision to make because tools serve a practical purpose.

The following are the tools I have:

Ratchet
Ratchet Extension
Socket: 1/2"
Wrenches: 11/16, 9/16 and 1/2
Philips Screwdriver
Folding Box Cutter
Replacement Blades: 10

I used the ratchet extension once for a socket I borrowed. I see no point in bringing it with me.

I use the box cutter for opening boxes. Do I need to open packages when bugging out permanently?

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.