Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#290654 - 09/21/18 04:12 PM CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Reading through this article, reminds me that over the years (and as recently as yesterday) seeing these iconic, bright yellow SAR planes in our local skies is almost something we take for granted here and I don't think that there are many outdoor oriented people who would not instantly recognize the plane - and it's purpose.

Replacing the planes, led to a large debate on what color the new SAR planes should be.

I think the main point of the article, which ties into what I wrote above is:

"This colour, which provides a higher level of visibility and recognition in the ground and the air, is also widely known by Canadians — especially those who might find themselves in a situation requiring our aid.

Canada’s military has reversed its plan to abandon the familiar yellow paint scheme for the country’s new search-and-rescue planes after debate within the ranks over the aircraft’s need to be visible on such missions.

The new fleet of 16 Airbus C-295W planes will replace the main Royal Canadian Air Force search-and-rescue fleet of Buffalo aircraft as well as the Hercules transport planes which are also used at times in a search-and-rescue role. Postmedia reported last year that RCAF leadership had requested the new planes be painted tactical grey, asking for a change to the original contract which had stipulated the familiar yellow colour scheme, because they wanted the aircraft to be available for other missions, including combat.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canadian-m...familiar-yellow

Anyone else live in a country or locale that has a specific SAR plane color?

John Lubbock

#290655 - 09/21/18 04:22 PM Re: CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Around here, California and Arizona, aircraft used in SAR are multipurpose, typically in conventional color schemes, with nothing specific denoting SAR. They work quite well.

#290657 - 09/21/18 05:26 PM Re: CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I recognize the iconic nature of the yellow SAR aircraft, but I think they should have opted for the multi-role colouring.

C-130s in full combat paint have been handling SAR in remote areas for a long time. Nobody complains when they show up -- with their very excellent SARTECs on board.

The Canadian military is highly professional, but modestly funded. Flexibility is very important.

When called on to support humanitarian missions in a dysfunctional country with active pockets of fighting, yellow is not the colour for your aircraft.

#290659 - 09/21/18 06:48 PM Re: CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane [Re: Teslinhiker]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Around here the civilian rescue helicopters are painted in bright yellow.
Traditonally some missions are flown by army helicopters. Some search missions are flown by law enforcmement helicopters and in very rare cases by recon Tornadoes. Those aircraft are painted in the color schemes of their service. They are used for other missions too.
When they still had the Iroquois, it was kind of iconic and easily recognizeable by the red cross on a white background on the side.

#290660 - 09/21/18 08:56 PM Re: CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I recognize the iconic nature of the yellow SAR aircraft, but I think they should have opted for the multi-role colouring.

C-130s in full combat paint have been handling SAR in remote areas for a long time. Nobody complains when they show up -- with their very excellent SARTECs on board.

The Canadian military is highly professional, but modestly funded. Flexibility is very important.

When called on to support humanitarian missions in a dysfunctional country with active pockets of fighting, yellow is not the colour for your aircraft.

Last year, there was another article on the National Post website that outlined the political strife within the DND in regards to the paint scheme and at that time, the decision was to use grey paint. Obviously that decision is now reversed and the new planes are to be painted yellow.

No matter the politics and bickering over the paint, I am just glad that our very old and way past their useful life, SAR planes are finally being replaced - regardless of colour.

John Lubbock

#290662 - 09/21/18 09:37 PM Re: CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
No matter the politics and bickering over the paint, I am just glad that our very old and way past their useful life, SAR planes are finally being replaced - regardless of colour.

Agreed. Long overdue.

#290664 - 09/21/18 10:40 PM Re: CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Whatever their paint scheme, aircraft, especially helos, save money, time, and ultimately lives. Our county supports a modest fleet which supports, law enforcement, fire fighting, and SAR, all with the same paint job.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.