The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#290271 - 08/19/18 05:12 PM Regrets?
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Ok....loaded question.... What do you regret? By that I mean, is there any gear you bought? Did you lose a piece of gear? Did you spend more than you later thought it was worth? Would you have chosen differently?

I'm sure we've all had some regrets about preparation stuff.... let's hear it! LOL.

I've lost several knives. I use to light the ARC flashlight but came to realize the machined aluminum threads were a major weak point and it was TOO pricey for the short life of those threads......

How about you?

#290272 - 08/19/18 05:35 PM Re: Regrets? [Re: CJK]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: CJK
Ok....loaded question.... What do you regret?

That's an open-ended question. Posting a tribute that was perceived as "political."

Jeanette Isabelle

#290274 - 08/19/18 05:50 PM Re: Regrets? [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I jumped on the GPS bandwagon back about 1990, purchasing my first receiver then (with company money - your tax dollars at work). It worked quite well, and was accurate enough for the purpose, but units available just a few month's later were better and cheaper.

Same story with digital cameras. It seems to be characteristic of electronics in general these days.

#290278 - 08/19/18 07:33 PM Re: Regrets? [Re: CJK]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
First thing that comes to mind is buying two very large Eureka tents for family camping and - at two different times - breaking poles while trying to put them up by myself. Eureka didn't have replacement poles, and the third party company they recommended made poles that weren't like the originals. So the tents and poles sit in my basement unused since them - likely to end up at Goodwill.

BTW, I carry an ARC single AAA LED light every single day - in pocket - - with keys - for 10+ years and it continues to function flawlessly.

#290279 - 08/19/18 09:39 PM Re: Regrets? [Re: CJK]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I regret using Windows for far too long before switching to a Linux desktop. All the thousands of dollars spent on software. All the pulling your hair out trying to figure out computer problems. All the reboots and re-installations. All the slowdowns and lockups. All the ever-increasing hardware requirements just to run it.

I don't mean to sound preachy or fanboy. But you asked for regrets, and this is by far my biggest one.

#290281 - 08/19/18 10:17 PM Re: Regrets? [Re: haertig]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: haertig
I regret using Windows for far too long before switching to a Linux desktop. All the thousands of dollars spent on software. All the pulling your hair out trying to figure out computer problems. All the reboots and re-installations. All the slowdowns and lockups. All the ever-increasing hardware requirements just to run it.

I tried Linux on several different occasions. I gave Mac a try and found what I needed. I wish I switched years earlier.

Jeanette Isabelle

#290282 - 08/19/18 10:29 PM Re: Regrets? [Re: CJK]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
5.11 Rush 24 bag. It's got so much excess weight from all the molle stuff, zippers, dividers, etc, on it that I have gone back to the inner/outer frame pack that I bought off of a disillusioned AT through hiker, in the late 80s--for $20, a hot shower, a bed, and a home-cooked meal...We BOTH got a deal...

#290285 - 08/20/18 02:57 AM Re: Regrets? [Re: CJK]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: CJK
Ok....loaded question.... What do you regret? By that I mean, is there any gear you bought? Did you lose a piece of gear? Did you spend more than you later thought it was worth? Would you have chosen differently?

I'm sure we've all had some regrets about preparation stuff.... let's hear it! LOL.

I've lost several knives. I use to light the ARC flashlight but came to realize the machined aluminum threads were a major weak point and it was TOO pricey for the short life of those threads......

How about you?

Regrets, many little ones but not too many big ones. The regrets are mostly about missed life opportunities than in regards to any equipment.

#290286 - 08/20/18 10:22 PM Re: Regrets? [Re: CJK]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Loaning my Busse Desert Battle Rat to my friend, who then tried to sharpen it on his Worksharp, only to round off the tip so bad I had to backgrind it to get the tip back.

Selling my two tack-driving Browning A-Bolt Stainless stalkers with BOSS compensators, then finding out Browning doesn't put the Boss compensators on their rifles anymore.

Finding out my daughter had an abortion without consulting me first.

Giving my prize Mazda pickup to my oldest daughter because she whined to my wife about wanting it so bad, then having her total it within 6 months.

Losing contact with so many friends/fellow preppers over the years.

#290289 - 08/21/18 01:34 AM Re: Regrets? [Re: Roarmeister]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

Regrets, many little ones but not too many big ones. The regrets are mostly about missed life opportunities than in regards to any equipment.

I live by the mantra of: "I may not have made bad decisions in life, but I have not always made the best decisions either."

Helps to take some of the self doubt (gleaned through hindsight) away at times...

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.