Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 33 of 57 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#290265 - 08/18/18 11:27 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Roarmeister]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Oh yeah, the was my other item! Purchased a Surge (larger version of the Wave). I'm started to work out the stiffness in the pliers but I expect that might take a while.

I can be faithful to a single woman, but not to a single multitool. However, if I were forced to run with just one multitool for the rest of my life, it would be the Leatherman Surge.

(NB every time I’ve ever been on the range with others I’ve needed something from my LM MUT, and today was no exception. If I could only have two multis it would be a Surge and a MUT.)

#290275 - 08/19/18 06:46 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Roarmeister]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Got a new 2GoSystems Trifecta tarp/blanket/bivy. Its to replace my SOL Escape bivy and be a reflector tarp. The SOL version was also made of Tyvek and aluminumized but it was orange on the outside which is too bright for ordinary camping. It was too small at only 31" wide and was more suitable as a sleeping bag liner than as a bivy on the outside of a bag.

The Trifecta is 35.4"W x 87.7"L and comes with a full-length waterproof zipper on three sides and 9 tie-outs (one in the middle) to make versatile as a tarp. Its bigger than the Grabber tarp as well, although not as durable; it is semi-breathable while being mostly water resistant. Some would say waterproof. It is a muted green with an equally muted grey logo imprinted on it.

I need to try it out this weekend - but in these temps, I expect I won't need a sleeping bag as the temps are only expected to drop to 10°C. I can probably sleep in my clothes with a pad underneath me. They say it should be good for a 6-8°C improvement from sleeping in the open air.

Oops! The forecast was for 10°C, and just hours before the forecast had dropped to 7°C; I only brought the bivy without a backup. The actual temperature was 4°C after the clouds and forest smoke cleared off. I woke up at 2:30, relieved myself and was chilled so I put on my wool anorak and was good until 5:30 where I had to get up again to relieve. At that point, the only thing cold on me was my feet where I was wearing a single pair of socks. I was actually pleased that it got colder than expected and that I had a truer test of the bivy. The Tyvek was reasonably breathable and no moisture collected on it. It had loads of room even wearing the anorak. The reflective coating on the Tyvek just worked.

I am impressed -- this equipment is going into my everyday kit and will be used to extend the seasons my other sleeping gear. (I have a 0°, -7° and -12°C down bags and a -12°C polyester bag). The -7° bag is oversized but it wasn't quite designed to be used as an overbag. I should be able to insert the 0° bag inside that one and put them into the bivy to use as a really cold weather system. But I will have to wait several months to try that out. I can wait. smile

#290277 - 08/19/18 07:26 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
We have had a fire ban on for a couple of weeks because of the extremely dry conditions and last Saturday the temperature got up to a blazing 43.3°C.

So since I can't use my axes for wood chopping, I figured I may as well clean them up, touch up the edges and oil the handles. 3 light coats to the wood handles (2 axes and 1 heavy maul) - the last coat took about 3 days to dry. I used boiled linseed oil. Then apply leather protectant to the sheaths. Now they all look pretty. smile

#290398 - 09/04/18 01:26 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Looking at machetes...

#290401 - 09/04/18 03:43 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
TeacherRO.... not sure what part of the country you are in, but if you are looking for a tropical vegetation cutter you might look at a 14" Tramontina Bolo... mine works like a charm for Florida... you will need to sharpen it

#290801 - 10/08/18 05:46 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Added a cell phone case and external battery.
Added fall gloves to the jacket carry.

#290805 - 10/08/18 07:07 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

checked the stored gasoline and propane... will top off the car tomorrow in case TS in the Gulf veers off projected track...tried out the GasOne propane single burner stove....

#290823 - 10/09/18 10:46 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: LesSnyder]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
checked the stored gasoline and propane... will top off the car tomorrow in case TS in the Gulf veers off projected track...tried out the GasOne propane single burner stove....

Stay safe. Hope that you are not in direct line of the hurricane when it hits landfall.

John Lubbock

#290826 - 10/10/18 02:51 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Teslin... thanks, I'm on the very southern edge of watch area... some above average tides locally, and some wind gusts... should be okay...projected rain and wind soon...my fear was that it would make a right hook in mid Gulf...when topping off the truck last night, the feeling was definitely of impending tropical weather change...

#290975 - 10/29/18 03:30 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Got an amateur radio (ham) license over the weekend - it's the entry level 'technician class' but it gets me started. With that, I have opened up a huge resource on the local level of individuals who can help me learn about communications and a lot of other things. To start, I have a 'simple' (still complicated to me) hand held but the possibilities are amazing.

Tied into the "best use" thread, this may turn out to have a lot of other benefits I never expected. I've not received the actual call sign / license yet - that takes about a week or so - but once that is official, I can broadcast and not just listen. With only a couple of months researching this and becoming involved I think I've found a multi-level opportunity. More as I explore and discover.

Paul -

Page 33 of 57 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.