Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#289066 - 05/22/18 03:48 AM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: quick_joey_small]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
How are you going to get into your home to reach the spare key cabinet if you lose your house key?

I have pushbutton digital locks. The batteries in those things last for years and years. And even if a battery dies without warning (they have indicators for low battery), all the batteries in all the locks on different doors aren't going to go bad at the exact same time.

I wish I had bought digital locks a long time before I actually did. They are great. But you have to get good ones. When you enter the combination on a good one, that allows a normal mechanical deadbolt to be operated. One the cheap ones, you enter the combo and a little cheap battery powered motor turns little cheap plastic gears, to draw the little cheap deadbolt out of the little cheap striker plate for you. These cheapies are not secure at all. You can pay a ton of money for some of them that allow you to unlock them remotely. Not for me. The last thing I want is some fool screaming into my window, "Alexa, unlock the front door" and being successful at it.

#289083 - 05/23/18 07:04 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm also surprised how few carry a jacket or umbrella.

#289962 - 07/18/18 07:01 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I knew on guy who carried a full 1 qt Naglene bottle...in school.

#289977 - 07/19/18 06:42 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I knew on guy who carried a full 1 qt Naglene bottle...in school.

I maybe missing your point, and I am a confessed chronic over-packer, but that sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Heck, your guy could be a germaphobe, for whom 32 oz is barely enough for a perfect day.

Different bottle options are out there that could save weight, but Nalgenes are pretty bomb-proof and long-lasting. I might even suggest a metal bottle for potential boiling....

Question: If I went hiking with less than a quart would I be foolish? Consider that it's been 100F and above around here this month. I carried three 32oz bottles on my adventure to the zoo with my kids yesterday. There are sinks and water fountains all over the place there, just like in other public spaces like schools. That doesn't mean I want to keep stopping to refill.

My teenager certainly doesn't have time in his school day for that. He's commuting to Summer school, on the other side of the city, on his bike. It's almost 10 miles each way. Here's a few things we've considered:

*It's a long hot ride and there's no A/C at school. I want him carrying water with him on his commute as well as in class. 32 ozs is a reasonable amount for a full day. In the event that he forgets or can't to refill it during the day or before he heads home, he should be well hydrated with that amount.

*Ever seen an "Out of Order" sign on a water fountain or bathroom? Ever had the water shut-off thanks to an unexpected water main break?

*What if there's a fire alarm, bomb threat, lock-down, etc... and refilling isn't an option?

*What if he has some sort of an accident on the way to or from school and gets stuck in a ditch or raine for a while?

*What if he comes upon someone who's suffering from dehydration or heat related illness?

Water is just such a basic necessity that I think 32 is a good amount for a regular work or school day. He can use that 1 quart of water to drink, soak a bandana to wrap around his neck, wash wounds, re-hydrate a friend, etc....

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#289979 - 07/19/18 07:33 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
s 32 oz adequate? It depends entirely upon the environment. In the American desert southwest right now, 32oz is inadequate, unless you end before 9AM and have potable water immediately handy. On the California Channel islands, 32 oz is good for an entire day of hiking and some will probably not be consumed.

Variable include body size, water content of any food consumed, and quantity of skin exposed. i like to pay attention to electrolytes, as well.

It is far better to carry too much, rather than too little. Three guesses as to how I learned that.

#290109 - 07/30/18 10:23 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: TeacherRO]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I'm often surprised by what I don't see in people's kits:
- cash
- Sunglasses
- spare key
- extra contacts/ solution
- pen
- ibuprofen
- spare cell charger/ battery
- water bottle

My EDC kit lives in my handbag, so I always have cash, sunglasses, reading glasses, and spare phone charger and battery. I'm usually carrying a 1 L Nalgene with a human gear capcap, filled with iced tea.

I don't have spare keys. I don't wear regular eyeglasses or contacts.

My EDC kit does include a Fisher Bullet Space Pen, 500 mg acetaminophen tabs, 200 mg ibuprofen tabs (take 500 mg acetaminophen and 200 mg ibuprofen together), 25 mg diphenhydramine tabs.

And I always keep a compact umbrella in my handbag, which makes a good parasol on sunny days, since I like sleeveless dresses but hate sunscreen.

Edited by amper (07/30/18 10:28 PM)

#290110 - 07/30/18 10:27 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: gonewiththewind]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: Montanero
They will not prevent all injuries, but protect in normal work circumstances where injuries can occur that could make you lose the use of the hand.

Things that you must protect if you are in a survival situation:

Eyes

Feet

Hands

Even if the injury is not life threatening in itself, if it limits your ability to perform the functions necessary for survival, it becomes a life threatening injury. Even if you wear contacts, you might seriously consider carrying glasses as a back-up for their protective qualities.

In my truck, I always have a set of safety sunglasses and a pair of leather work gloves.

#290258 - 08/18/18 06:04 AM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: haertig]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: haertig
- pen
If I need to make note of something, usually I take a picture with my cellphone or tablet. I can also enter notes directly into either of those if need be. The batteries could die, but in many decades of life I've just never had any emergency need to take a note.

I don't think a pen is a terrible idea given the space and weight that a single refill for a Fisher Space Pen takes up. A golf pencil would work as well and you can sharpen it with your knife.

You will probably have something else in your kit that you could write on, but it's a bonus if you have some waterproof paper (like Field Notes products).

I keep these with my hiking equipment mostly in case I need to leave a note for people who might be searching for me if I can't stay put for some reason (e.g. stuck to a tent flap: "SOS 08/14/18 14:32 John Doe headed SE along rim trail in search of water. Out of food/water, broken wrist, phone dead, tan pants, blue shirt, red backpack, white male 5'11" 160 lbs, brown hair/eyes, call Fred Doe (father) at XXX-XXX-XXXX").

It could also be useful to to leave a note under a windshield wiper at the trailhead for overdue hikers, etc. Or, even if you're not lost, to let your campmates know that you are backtracking the route to find a dropped headlamp and will be back in < 1 hour.

#290261 - 08/18/18 12:42 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: Katie]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A ball point pen will write reliably on your bare skin. I do this often with numerical data when my notebook isn't handy. And paper is good to have, at least in outdoor environments - leave messages or a component in starting fires. If you are really desperate for paper, shave off the margin of your paper map.

#290263 - 08/18/18 06:56 PM Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I often tuck a few business cards in packs, luggage, laptop bags, fanny packs -- so a lost and returned item can find its way home.

But from an EDC standpoint -- they are also perfect for leaving notes in the parking lot ... or in the bush.

BTW, I'm amazed at how black Bic stick pens hold up in packs etc. Other colours dry out, but black just keeps going.

Edited by dougwalkabout (08/18/18 06:58 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.