The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#257598 - 03/14/13 07:29 PM Re: Avatars and Signatures [Re: spuds]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Thank you for your suggestion. I need an avatar that best represents me for this type of forum.

Though I prefer an adult female character, Fleda best fits my criteria. She is a female geek, like I am, and she has skills common to members of this forum: fishing, gardening and using a firearm.

Jeanette Isabelle

#257748 - 03/19/13 07:52 AM Re: Avatars and Signatures [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I am not fond of signatures and avatars in general . I have seen some people spending lots of thinking times about these when they should think of what they write in their posts.

However, if I was to choose a signature,
.... I do not watch much TV, and I am not fond of most of the media
So, the signature I would choose is :

( Media, the weapon of mass distr-A-ction )

It's not my invention, I heard it somewhere and liked it very much

#257750 - 03/19/13 08:34 AM Re: Avatars and Signatures [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I like Avatars. It makes it really handy to have a visual representation of people; it's similar to dividing long posts up into paragraphs. It helps me keep track of who's saying what. Sig lines aren't terribly important but they're neat to help personalize the forums or include important links.

#271327 - 08/18/14 02:44 PM Re: Avatars and Signatures [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I loved the book. I have always tried to laugh at myself and the book if full of a peculiar humor that doesn't try for seriousness. And my name is Jim so that makes my life easier.
I have an extra.

#271350 - 08/19/14 02:40 PM Re: Avatars and Signatures [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
This thread made me realize that after seven years on the board, I still hadn't picked an avatar.

The story behind the name goes way back. When I was growing up in Arizona in the 60a and 70s I would read stories in the newspaper about the Desert Fox. It was the nickname given to a former Marine Corps survival instructor who ended up in prison. Some say he beat his girlfriend, the daughter of a politically connected fellow. Others say he was set up because daddy didn't like the relationship.

Either way, the guy would regularly escape from the prison in Florence, which then was out in the middle of the desert. He would manage to elude pursuit by helicopter, mounted patrols etc. for days. Without gear, food or water. In the desert.

Thought it was appropriate for a survival forum.

#289464 - 06/16/18 01:37 AM Re: Avatars and Signatures [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Continuing with the cliche of the female geek with dark hair and glasses, I'm using this cute image of Margo from the Despicable Me franchise. She is one tough twelve-year-old.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289466 - 06/16/18 05:16 AM Re: Avatars and Signatures [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
This thread made me think - I've been hanging around here for a few years now, maybe I ought to post up an avatar? Yeah, took me a while to finally get around to it. The one I chose is "The Flatirons" a few miles west of my house. They look like huge slabs of rock leaning up against the foothills just outside Boulder Colorado.

#289728 - 07/03/18 01:17 AM Re: Avatars and Signatures [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I updated my signature with a Floridian proverb that our Torah teacher taught us.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291713 - 01/27/19 01:21 AM Re: Avatars and Signatures [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

My current signature is a quote from my favorite engineer.

Jeanette Isabelle

#291719 - 01/27/19 03:11 PM Re: Avatars and Signatures [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I picked the Sheltie as we had a Shetland Sheep Dog (George) and he was a valued member of the family and a likeable loyal dog. I've also worked in several 'criminal justice' / public service jobs and the wife has joked since she met me that I'm always prepared and ready for what ever may come up - the Minute Man from the Revolutionary war is what she claimed I was, being ready to respond within a minute. That was our Sheltie always ready - the whole 'sheepdog' analogy, which I don't fully agree with but it can fit, also comes into play. Thus the little dog avatar.

I've never used a standard signature line but always liked the line from the Terminator movie series: "Come with me if you want to live" - it makes me smile.

Paul -

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.