Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#289548 - 06/22/18 01:31 AM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

If you do not drink, you will die of heat or dehydration before the biologicals kick in (in most cases). If yo have the time and resources, purify!

#289551 - 06/22/18 07:21 AM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
I mentioned in the originating thread:

> Here's another review (with a link) for the mora garberg killer
> (full tang, finger guard, quality leather sheath - half the price) in week > 4:

> https://youtu.be/btQxnxvfNlk

The leather sheath certainly looks a beautiful piece of work. But is there any real advantage over man made materials?

qjs

Edited by quick_joey_small (06/22/18 10:57 AM)

#289555 - 06/22/18 01:34 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Definitely agree on purification. As an aside, I understand that WWII was the first conflict in American history in which deaths sustained on the battlefield exceeded those from disease. Probably had something to do with impure sources of water.....

My preferred drink outdoors is tea, which helps with purification of water.

#289556 - 06/22/18 01:49 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Hey, the ancient Egyptians used beer as a strategic weapon. Beers requires boiling the water, and the Egyptian army drank mostly beer while on campaign. Other armies drank local water, and got sick. So the Egyptians could field a larger force than their enemies could.

I watched the videos. Up front I will say that any material, supplies or tools are better than having nothing, so everything they show has some value. There are some items I would not choose, others that I swear by. They do seem to have a large number of "most recommended" items, I think they should pare it down a bit and prioritize between "most recommended" and "others that we recommend".

There were some that I had never seen before, and I may try some of them out. I would like to find a good chemical lab to help me test the water purification methods, along with all of the other ones I already have. That straw, the "Sidekick", advertises some significant capabilities for such a small device. If it actually works it would be a very excellent addition to any kit, if it actually works.

#289558 - 06/22/18 02:18 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Is it too late to signup for the Egyptian army?

Actually, during the brief period I was in service, it seems in retrospect that our military adopted the same tactic. I remember walking into the first into my first service club in Korea, noting immediately that Heineken was priced cheaper than the domestic brands, and thinking, "This might not be so bad, after all.."

#289559 - 06/22/18 02:31 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I thought did serve under the Pharaohs. Or was it Alexander? Or Caesar?

#289560 - 06/22/18 03:05 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Actually, I first served for Oog The Magnificent, back when stone weapons were the cutting edge.They cost well under$30.

Oog never made the history books....

#289562 - 06/22/18 04:50 PM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Montanero wrote:
> I would like to find a good chemical lab to help me test the water purification methods, along with all of the other ones I already have. That straw, the "Sidekick", advertises some significant capabilities for such a small device. If it
actually works it would be a very excellent addition to any
> kit, if it actually works.

Chris Townsends 'Backpackers Handbook' (terrific book) references several studies and his (and theirs) conclusion is that 'it is far more important to wash your hands thoroughly and keep your pans clean than to treat your water'. 'Most backcountry water is safe and you are very unlikely to catch anything from drinking it untreated'.
That's in North America and Europe.
In the third world it's a different story. Where, don't forget, filters are not purifiers, so they don't remove the most dangerous threat; viruses. Even iodine won't remove Cryptosporidium. The reviews I've read never mention this and talk about filters and purifiers without mentioning the difference.
And chemical pollution is a different story again...

qjs

#289571 - 06/23/18 05:27 AM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

My Clark Kent comments on the gear in the video without a week number (the summary):
Some of those items are camping not survival gear, but since you put 'survival' in the video title here's a few comments:
Doug Ritter won't even review axes. Too dangerous if you are not used to them. Especially in a survival situation where you are possibly tired and injured and have no way of calling an ambulance. The machetes or kukris you recommend in other videos, are even more dangerous. The handle is a blade.
Magnesium scrapings will blow away in a breeze.
A cap is the worst place to keep anything valuable. It's usually the only item of clothing that can be blown away, snatched, or simply fall off.
A lantern that can only be rechared with a USB? A lot of survival situations you won't still have power.
Why use firestarters that have to be split and made into feather sticks? In a survival situation you want everything made easy in advance. You might have only one hand. Which brings me to:
Having broken my wrist last year I found:
A lot of gear can't be used one handed (good idea to practice). So ditch the ferro rods and use a one handed sparker. I had a great idea: if a flint and steel were attached to a gas tank, you would have a sparker that could also produce a flame when wanted. I'm sure it could be produced very cheaply. I've even thought of a name for it: 'the lighter'.
You wisely (8:21), screwed the stormproof match container on tightly. With only one hand they'll still have the cap screwed on tightly when they find your body. One solution is tie them in a plastic bag you can simply tear open with your teeth.&#65279;

#289572 - 06/23/18 05:33 AM Re: Most Recommended Must Have Survival Gear under $30 [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

hikermor wrote:
> Actually, I first served for Oog The Magnificent, back when
> stone weapons were the cutting edge.

They still are:
'Good quality obsidian fractures down to single molecules which can produce a cutting edge 500 times sharper than the sharpest steel scalpel blade ("American Medical News", Nov. 2, 1984:21).'

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.