The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#289488 - 06/19/18 08:59 PM Getting Organized
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Organizing your emergency supplies is perhaps almost as important as the supplies. Two weeks ago I bought a plastic storage container to hold my reserve of Rx medications.

Today I received the Home & Vehicle Plus Kit.

https://www.chinookmed.com/01375/home-vehicle-plus-kit.html

I was already building a kit very similar to it; it turned out I needed a little help in knowing what goes where. When I received the new first aid kit, I could then use it as a model to finish what I was doing. I used the home kit plus my project to create a near-identical Home & Vehicle Plus Kit, with a few spare parts left over.

I'm already working on upgrades. I replaced the pocket guide with Wilderness & Travel Medicine by Eric A Weiss, MD. I already know what I want to do for additional updates.

Back to organizing. I bought another MAG-LITE that will replace another MAG-LITE in an EMP-proof container. I am slightly OCD. The two MAG-LITE flashlights I had in there do not go together.

I ordered another plastic container to organize any OTC medications that are not in a first aid kit. I ordered a 9" x 12" bubble mailer to help with my bugout plans. I also worked on what I will take with me if we have to bug out permanently.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289489 - 06/19/18 11:21 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
One good book I remember using back in the late 70's/early 80's was "Medicine for Mountaineering". It was good because it went far beyond basic first aid. I seem to remember it including indication/contraindication/dosage information for medications that a non-medical person would not normally have access to. But if the zombies have come, and you have no doctor around (but you do have a pharmacy to pilfer), then such information would be useful. I don't know if this book is still published, or if the lawyers have gotten a hold of it and stripped out this advanced information, but if the book still exists as I remember it then it might be a good one to pick up. Caveat: When I was reading this book, I was a paramedic, so not totally what you'd consider "non-medical". The book might be a tad much for the truly non-medical.

Alternately, you could buy something like "The Nurses Drug Handbook" for when you need to play medical provider if you're truly away from civilization with no other options (still assuming you have a pharmacy you can pilfer, and at least somewhat of a brain to apply to the situation). The standard book on drugs may be "The Physician's Desk Reference" (called the "PDR" for short), but that thing is huge and expensive (unless you buy a version that's a few years old).

#289491 - 06/20/18 12:05 AM Re: Getting Organized [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The 2010 edition: Medicine for Mountaineering & Other Wilderness Activities, 6th Edition

I don’t have that reference book, but it looks like it might be worth having on the shelf.

#289492 - 06/20/18 12:58 AM Re: Getting Organized [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have that edition, and two of its predecessors. This latest edition has more co-authors and is significantly expanded. Perfect for those situations where you are not next door to the ER.

One of the highlights of my time on Denali years ago was meeting Wilkerson, who monitored our efforts at treatment of a victim of high altitude induced edema and led a very useful and productive critique afterward.

#289493 - 06/20/18 02:07 AM Re: Getting Organized [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Another good reference is Ditch Medicine

It focuses more on trauma, but is highly recommended by doctors with battlefield and remote area experience.

#289494 - 06/20/18 02:15 AM Re: Getting Organized [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

When I'm ready, I'll start a thread on modifying a medical kit. For now, may we discuss being organized?

Jeanette Isabelle

#289499 - 06/20/18 03:14 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
When I'm ready, I'll start a thread on modifying a medical kit. For now, may we discuss being organized?

Jeanette Isabelle

These references would serve to aid you in setting priorities and identify your needs and gaps. However, if you do not wish such assistance I will oblige you.

#289500 - 06/20/18 03:49 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

You brought up modifying your kit and replacing books, listing one of your specific replacement books. I thought other book suggestions would fit into what you were asking for.

As far as a bubble wrap mailer for your documents - those are not very durable. They are made of paper themselves. Plus, you don't really need bubble wrap protection for documents. I would get a heavier duty zip up protective case, of maybe even a fire bag for those documents.

#289501 - 06/20/18 03:51 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: gonewiththewind]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Montanero
These references would serve to aid you in setting priorities and identify your needs and gaps.

I don't understand. It seems to me that buying more books heads in the opposite direction of where I need to go unless I use it in a medical kit. Even then I need to consider space.

I recognize I have gaps in my plans and I am working through them.

How would that book aid me in setting priorities and identify my needs? I know what my needs are. I would even go so far as to say Hurricane Irma was a drill, a test to determine what I'm lacking. In looking again at the description of the book you recommended, I can see how it can address a couple of those things; $74.49 for a book in addition to what I have already bought and will need to buy, I have some reservations. I could look for a used copy.

Jeanette Isabelle

#289502 - 06/20/18 04:06 PM Re: Getting Organized [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
You brought up modifying your kit and replacing books, listing one of your specific replacement books. I thought other book suggestions would fit into what you were asking for.

Though I did spend a short amount of time on that subject, the primary purpose of this thread is to get organized. I wanted to start a separate thread focusing on the medical kit and I wanted to do it later. However, due to the recommendations stated in this thread, I started it early.

Originally Posted By: haertig
As far as a bubble wrap mailer for your documents - those are not very durable. They are made of paper themselves. Plus, you don't really need bubble wrap protection for documents. I would get a heavier duty zip up protective case, of maybe even a fire bag for those documents.

The mailer would be in my suitcase or whatever I'm using. I thought the bag its self would provide a lot of protection; I need the mailer to protect its contents from the rest of the items in the suitcase. Even under those conditions do I still need additional protection?

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 161 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.