Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#28920 - 07/05/04 03:32 PM Sony ICF SW100S Radio
win Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Anyone have experience with this radio and can you share your opinion on the quality and functions?
I tried tunion on the preset channels for Tokyo and BBC and have not been successful.
Just dont know if its a waste of money.
Oliver

#28921 - 07/06/04 07:03 AM Re: Sony ICF SW100S Radio
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
well this is the first ive ever seen it, but it is an interesting little machine.
it could be the very tall building interfering with reception though.

i bought a am/am/sw1-4 radio and can barely pick up anything in the city because of obstacles.

#28922 - 07/06/04 08:43 AM Re: Sony ICF SW100S Radio
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi Oliver,

Bagheera on this side, I have this little marvel, bought it like new through Ebay and it came complete with the active antenna thingie, which by the way is bigger then the radio itself so I'll leave it at home most of the time.
I get very good short wave reception, and have programmed in a few of the pages with each 5 channels.
I love it, it has very good battery time and I'm currently tring to get a small cable made with a power reduction from 6-7 V input and 3 volt output on the radio side so I can hook it up with my Isun solar pannel.

This little radio will travel with me in 2.5 weeks time to Puerto Rico for sure.

Reception in the big city is not a problem in the Netherlands as we don't have such high concentrations of Sky scrapers as in big ciries in the US or in Hong Kong, but jsut as with GPS reception getting downright flaky I guess that shortwave reception amidst skyscrapers could be difficult either.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

LS. There are so many functions and you need the correct key press/hold sequence to use them so start practicing with it or be prepared to take the thick instruction manual with you on holiday or perhaps there's a pdf format manual, although I couldn't find it.

#28923 - 07/06/04 02:19 PM Re: Sony ICF SW100S Radio
win Offline

Dear Bagsheera,
Its wonderful to know that others have one too and that the problems seem normal. I guess that I shall have to play around with it a bit to get the correct bands.

I have been trying it on and off however, cant say that I followed all the instructions according to the book.
I bought this in Tokyo quite a few years ago and even then, it seems well advanced.

Still trying to get the ideal mess tin ;-0

Best wishes,
Oliver

#28924 - 07/06/04 03:42 PM Re: Sony ICF SW100S Radio
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
All I've read is positive about this radio, you might want to be sure that the pre set freqs. are actually current and correct for your part of the world. The world of SWL changes fairly quickly. A random length wire antenna would be worth playing around with. Some speaker wire either wrapped around or alligator clipped to the antenna should work.

#28925 - 07/06/04 07:01 PM Re: Sony ICF SW100S Radio
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I have this little marvel too. It is so complex that I can never remember how to tune it, but its performance has always been better than I would have expected using the built in antenna outside. I do not have the active antenna, wanted one but never bought it. I have a windup wire antennna extension that seems to marginally improve reception....expecially as it can be suction cupped to a window. Indoor performance SW is pretty poor without using that.

I found few of the presets were correct and redid all the settings.....of course I could not do so again without a reread of the manual.

Battery life seems good and overall I am happy with it.

#28926 - 07/07/04 03:08 PM Re: Sony ICF SW100S Radio
win Offline

Thank you Gentlemen, for the kind input. It seems that we all have similar experiences in using these and perhaps in my case, the preset channels may not be the same anymore due to the time difference since I got this radio.

How does it compare though to the much raved Grundigs and other sw radios out thre?

Best wishes,
Oliver

#28927 - 07/08/04 04:33 AM Re: Sony ICF SW100S Radio
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
heres my 2 cents about my SW radio.

i have a kaito ka007, and the sw reception in the city is terrible, regular radio stations are decent though.

ill try this next time i go upstate ny and see how it works out there, but most folks i spoke too said go for the grundig.

next time ill listen.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 191 Guests and 82 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.