Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#288481 - 03/22/18 08:03 PM Frequent topics
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=81145

My bumbling search efforts yielded only the above thread on the subject of "paying for SAR," a topic which as received criticism as being too frequently discussed. The above thread dates from 12/06 and I am amazed that I did not contribute to it, foaming mouth and all.

Attempts to find more threads have been unsuccessful which only shows that my search mojo is severely limited. I am sure there are more relevant threads out there, as well as there are threads on the use of guns vs. bear spray, also criticized as being too frequent.

If someone with more expertise could assemble threads on these topics, it would be a simple matter to post references to the threads and refer new readers to our assembled comments.

I don't think these subjects re worn out, and I do think there is utility in revisiting the topics from time to time, but it would be certainly useful to refer to past wisdom.

Please give me some search tips, or do the searches yourself, which is probably easier...

#288482 - 03/22/18 09:27 PM Re: Frequent topics [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I don't know that there have been that many threads exclusively dedicated to paying for SAR. However, I do recall a number of times when threads drifted into that topic. I know I personally had a number of spirited exchanges with Benjammin about paying for SAR. (We haven't seen much of Ben lately?) Indeed, the topic came up this time as part of a lost hiker found thread, not as a stand alone topic.

Regarding revisiting old topics, I'm of two minds about it. Some topics (bear spray vs guns) really have been beaten to death. Absent some really new compelling hard data (not just another isolated anecdote or opinion), I don't see much value, and I don't choose to participate much. But hey, ETS is an open forum, and if others wish to flog that horse, have at It.

#288483 - 03/23/18 02:56 AM Re: Frequent topics [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
This seems like a good time to remind folks that I don’t make policy, but I do enforce it. As I hope you’ve noticed, I prefer to not have to take enforcement action.

It doesn’t seem to me — again, reminding everyone that I don’t make the policies — that we’ve had an excessive amount of “who pays for SAR” threads. “Guns vs. pepper spray for bears” is closer to that line but not over it, at least to my eyes.

In other words, please continue to police yourselves, please continue to be polite, and carry on. There’s room for reasonable people to disagree reasonably here.

chaosmagnet

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.