Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#282512 - 10/17/16 04:40 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Lots of interesting replies. Much appreciated!

I've had three social events in the last few months (around a fire) where I have been prevailed upon to crank out a set or two on an old Fender acoustic, accompanied by my gravelly voice. To my surprise, they were very well received! Maybe there's a renewed appetite toward "live music is better" -- organic music, with all its imperfections, a pushback against endless floods of perfectly engineered recordings?

Anyway, the question now is how to build a playlist that is do-able by one guy with an acoustic guitar and gravelly voice. (Or other instruments that continue to work, surprisingly, when the electricity is off.) It has to hit a number of genres and build a sense of group inclusion and camaraderie without giving unnecessary offense to anyone.

For example, I didn't know where to start, so I warmed up a couple of groups by getting them to remember camp songs from their youth. Silly, cheesy, goofy, it's all fine -- and fun. Gets them in the zone. Then there's Otis Redding: Sitting on the Dock of the Bay -- getting everyone to whistle along at the end (badly) was a bit hit.

In that vein, thoughts and suggestions?

#282514 - 10/17/16 03:23 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I do not think it is about "life music is better". Life music is an event and people are part of this unique performance. That΄s doubly true if they interact (sing along, whistle, hum or clap). That is something a recording - no matter how perfect it may be - cannot provide that.
Your approach of warming up is probably one of the best.

This guy offers some advice about playlists, practice and list that can be played with a limited number of accords: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9FIrror1a4 (to avoid unpleasant surprises: he΄s performing "Horse with no name")

There are also some songs with a concept of promoting participation:
The limerick song (Some versions are appropriate for all audiences, some not so much), this version seems to be fairly non-offensive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4znGvVBlwr0
The engineer΄s drinking song (several versions around, maybe not ideal while children are present, may get as clean or dirty as the audience wants)
Kiss me Blarney Stones (designed more for adult audiences, not the best choice, when ladies are present; BTW: there is a recording that extends over an hour)

#282518 - 10/17/16 07:33 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Worth it to collect a few (paper) books for camp songs, american classics ( musicals, etc) and Beatles tunes.

Edited by TeacherRO (10/17/16 07:33 PM)

#282521 - 10/17/16 07:43 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Scouts Canada and Boy Scouts USA have some awesome resources for camp songs. There are some pretty cool youtube videos from Jambories too.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#282528 - 10/18/16 03:14 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Worth it to collect a few (paper) books for camp songs, american classics ( musicals, etc) and Beatles tunes.

I've found that most "folk" music is readily playable by a competent hobbyist musician. It's certainly easier then concert band or orchestral music. By folk, I mean American folk and campfire, Celtic jigs and reels, sailors shanties and hornpipes , military marching songs, work songs, blues, etc.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#282625 - 10/25/16 08:20 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: Mark_R]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
I've found that most "folk" music is readily playable by a competent hobbyist musician. It's certainly easier then concert band or orchestral music. By folk, I mean American folk and campfire, Celtic jigs and reels, sailors shanties and hornpipes , military marching songs, work songs, blues, etc.

I've found that as well. There's an art to faking it so that it sounds good enough to listen to, even if it's not perfect (doubly so if it's a recorded pop/folk song). I do try to avoid doing violence to other people's work, though, out of respect for truly great artists I admire.

#282626 - 10/25/16 08:22 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I found a list of harmonica songs with tabs for you harp players. The guy at http://www.wildflowerharmonica.com/tabs/ (no affiliation) is apparently an instructor, so these must be "do-able." I'm sure there are many more out there.

B
B52s, The – Rock Lobster – 4th Position Scale Lesson
Beatles, The – Day Tripper – Cross Harp Lesson
Beatles, The – Here, There, and Everywhere – Harp Switching Lesson
Beatles, The – Let It Be – Middle / High Scale Lesson
Beatles, The – Love Me Do – Cross Harp & Breath Pattern Lesson

C
Christmas – Deck the Halls
Christmas – Jingle Bells
Christmas – Joy to the World
Christmas – O Christmas Tree
Christmas – Silent Night

F
Foster, Stephen – Camptown Races
Foster, Stephen – O Susanna
Foster, Stephen – O Susanna (cross harp version)

I
Irish – Connaughtman’s Rambles, The
Irish – Danny Boy
Irish – Harvest Home Hornpipe
Irish – Kesh Jig
Irish – Ms McLeod’s Reel
Irish – Parting Glass, The
Irish – Star of the County Down

K
Kids – Bingo
Kids – Do Re Mi
Kids – Frere Jacques (Are You Sleeping?)
Kids – Happy Birthday
Kids – London Bridge
Kids – Mary Had a Little Lamb
Kids – Pop Goes the Weasel
Kids – Row Row Row Your Boat
Kids – Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Kids – You Are My Sunshine

L
Loops, Jeremy – My Shoes – Beatbox Lesson

N
National Anthem – The Star-Spangled Banner

P
Pitbull, feat Kesha – Timber – Articulation Lesson & Song History

S
Scales – The Blues Scale (Cross Harp)
Scales – The Major Scale (Straight Harp)
Scales – Minor Scales
Scales – Pentatonic Scales

T
Traditional – Amazing Grace
Traditional – Big Rock Candy Mountain
Traditional – Dueling Banjos
Traditional – Good Night Ladies
Traditional – Happy Birthday
Traditional – Reveille
Traditional – Shenandoah
Traditional – Taps
Traditional – What Shall We Do With a Drunken Sailor?
Traditional – When the Saints Go Marching In
Traditional – You Are My Sunshine
Twain, Shania – Nobody Needs to Know – Ear Training & Cross Harp Lesson

#283672 - 02/06/17 11:02 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Hmm! Went back to re-read this old thread and was quite surprised at the number of views. Guess the web bots have been busy skewing the numbers.

Anyway, a couple of quick thoughts:

If anyone is interested, I'll look over my notes and post the song list that I've been compiling.

I've also been adding to my acoustic guitar collection. I'm amazed that playable used instruments can be had for under $50 these days -- if you know what to look for, and if you're quick to grab a deal. What a huge change from when I started out!

#287947 - 01/20/18 12:38 AM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Given the number of hits, I guess folks out there are still reading this thread. Perhaps someone has posted links elsewhere? Anyway, I'm glad you find it worth your time. smile

I came across a link regarding music and social cohesion, and thought it was worth sharing:

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/four_ways_music_strengthens_social_bonds

Another link about music and its effects on the brain:

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/why_we_love_music

Edit: BTW, it would amuse me to know where this extra traffic is coming from. I know, curiosity killed the cat. But if what I'm doing anyway (working out campfire songs, reconditioning inexpensive -- not "cheap" -- guitars) would amuse, I'll post more here. Thoughts and advice?

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/20/18 02:20 AM)

#287961 - 01/21/18 10:21 PM Re: Musical Instruments and Survival Situations? [Re: dougwalkabout]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Hi,
I think all these would work with a gravely voice and one guitar, for guitar solo you can whistle smile
Remember to read your audience smile

• fgjVrBatu2I The Cure - Love Song (Acoustic Version) - YouTube
  • WWAgBzK-1E0 Ripple (acoustic) - Grateful Dead - 10-31-1980 Radio City, NY set1-08 - YouTube
  • EM0cxHxatFg Damon Johnson - "Cowboy Song" and "The Boys Are Back In Town" - Richard Krause
  • YovafhkMbwc K-Ci & JoJo - All My Life - Dalilah Dhalif Ali Acoustic Cover - dhalif
  • d34hsuSceD0 Violent Femmes - American Music - YouTube
  • 0rwPxuyk7sM How to Play Rockstar - Nickelback (cover) - Easy 5 Chord Tune - PartyMarty EasyGuitarTunes
  • TCDg9nZabVc How to Play Stuck In the Middle with You - Stealers Wheel (cover) - Easy 4 Chord Tune - PartyMarty EasyGuitarTunes
  • V2we4rZhQ0I Jane Says acoustic Jane's Addiction - Haley Elizabeth
  • z19rg2sVTBo Smash Mouth - The Story Of My Life - YouTube
  • y-poSLBmN3g 175. Wilson Pickett- Land of 1000 Dances (Acoustic Cover) - Peter Duong -- naaa na na na naaa nananan naaa nana naaa nanan naaaa
  • 8vFcDMRyJKo Shout (Isley Brothers) Easy Strum Guitar Lesson How to Play Tutorial - MunsonMusicLive
  • 1EGLxgxlfnM They Might Be Giants - Particle Man (cover) - ibanez0930
  • YLV1sJNDuX0 Lamprey - Narwhal (Acoustic) - YouTube
  • P1FzDGLc3as Narwhals - YouTube
  • QDxfCywWgaE Chris Kenner - Land of 1000 Dances - YouTube
  • _eDcPRSeDsU "Fire On The Mountain" Grateful Dead, acoustic cover - guitar5054
  • 8OzaJQCURUA Christina Aguilera - Come On Over (Acoustic) - adultish
  • "The Joker" - Steve Miller Band
  • "Enter Sandman" - Metallica
  • "Crazy Train" - Ozzy Osbourne
  • "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd
  • "Don't Stop Believin" - Journey
  • American Pie – Don McLean
  • Landslide – Fleetwood Mac
  • Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Queen
  • Old Crow Medicine Show – Wagon Wheel
  • The Rolling Stones – You Can’t Always Get What You Want
  • "Ripple" -- Grateful Dead
  • "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding and Steve Cropper
  • Friend of the Devil (acoustic version) by Grateful Dead
  • Casey Jones Grateful Dead
  • Melissa by the Allman Brothers
  • Dead Flowers by the Rolling Stones
  • Straight To Hell by Drivin' N Cryin'
  • Sister Golden Hair by America
  • Friday I'm in Love by The Cure
  • Amie by Pure Prairie League
  • Landslide by Fleetwood Mac
  • "Gimme Little Sign" by Brenton Wood in 1967.
  • "Land of a Thousand Dances" was done by Wilson Pickett
  • "Sweet Soul Music" is by Arthur Conley, in 1967.
  • 5kXaviCBrJE Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe - Acoustic (RARE LIVE) - myISH
  • RkMuq4yEk7U The Darkness - "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" | 91X Xsession
  • band member teaches you cStaQjy6AeQ How to play "I Believe In A Thing Called LOVE" by The DARKNESS - ROCK ANTENNE
  • this girl is on fire -- alicia keys
  • burning ring of fire -- johnny cash
  • Fools Rush In (Where Angels Fear to Tread)
  • jingle bells batman smells
  • south park theme, going down to south park - primus
  • i put a spell on you because you're mine
  • Cowboy Song (Thin Lizzy song)
  • dont you just know it -- huey "piano" smith
  • rubber biscuit -- the blues brothers
  • rawhide - tv show theme
  • spiderman theme songs 1960s tv
  • i cant dance i can't talk only thing about me is the way i walk
  • susanne you're all that i wanted in a girl you're all that i wanted in the world - weezer
  • say it aint so - weezer
  • 2obMo7y-rvA Taylor Swift - Acoustic Performances from RED Album - Songs include "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together," "Treacherous," and "22."
  • i'm just a little bit stuck in the middle M_-qbbCsAeM Lenka - The Show (with lyrics)
  • crimson and clover say it aint over
  • Three Is a Magic Number - Schoolhouse Rock

Edited by EMPnotImplyNuclear (01/21/18 10:43 PM)
Edit Reason: add few more

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 230 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.