Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#287532 - 01/01/18 05:37 AM Got to meet my 1st fellow ETS member in person!
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I got to meet my first fellow ETS forum member in person yesterday!

unimogbert

We had a fun chat when I stopped by his place to pick up some books he so graciously offered to me. Very nice guy - but I couldn't convince him to go out to the restaurant to try Ethiopian food with me and my daughter. That may have been a good or bad decision on his part, hard to say. It was my first time with this cuisine. I can easily imagine it being something you like, or you hate. Probably not much middle ground.

But it was really fun to be able to meet another ETS'er in person!

#287533 - 01/01/18 06:22 AM Re: Got to meet my 1st fellow ETS member in person! [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm grateful for the email, phone, and forum contacts I've had with other ETS'ers. Looking forward to my first face-to-face contact sometime.

#287536 - 01/01/18 08:53 AM Re: Got to meet my 1st fellow ETS member in person! [Re: haertig]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It's great to put a face with the screen name! So far I have only met one ETS'er but it was fun. How was the Ethiopian food? I love it but I always want to sneak some flatware in with me (traditionally you eat everything with your hands).

#287538 - 01/01/18 02:20 PM Re: Got to meet my 1st fellow ETS member in person! [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I really enjoyed meeting my first ETSer. We should have a convention sometime....

#287547 - 01/02/18 12:44 AM Re: Got to meet my 1st fellow ETS member in person! [Re: haertig]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

I'm glad the books found a good home.
Haertig is my first ETS'er as well.

Not sure how a convention would work.

Maybe a regional tarp campout with a challenge of bugging out for 20 miles to get there???

#287548 - 01/02/18 01:42 AM Re: Got to meet my 1st fellow ETS member in person! [Re: unimogbert]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Maybe a regional tarp campout with a challenge of bugging out for 20 miles to get there???

I can attest to the fact that unimogbert is in good enough physical shape to make that trek with ease. Me, not so much.

#287549 - 01/02/18 02:13 AM Re: Got to meet my 1st fellow ETS member in person! [Re: Phaedrus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
How was the Ethiopian food? I love it but I always want to sneak some flatware in with me (traditionally you eat everything with your hands).

I think we must have looked pitiful enough that they just gave us forks to start with, figuring we'd never make it eating the traditional way. We also sat in the big chairs at a regular table. They had really short chairs in the back part of the restaurant, which I assume is the traditional Ethiopian dining style.

The food was good. Not my favorite ethnic food, but I'd certainly go for it again.

Here's what we had (ate family style - shared the various dishes):

Sambussa (lentils and pastry)
Lamb Tibs (lamb with peppers, onions, tomato)
Lamb Alicha (lamb with seasonings)
Engudai Tibs (mushrooms)
Atkilt Wot (cabbage)
Yemisir Wot (lentils)
Yekik Alicha (peas)
Gomen (collard greens)
Fosolia (green beans and carrots)
Salad (greens, tomatoes, onions)

I thought I remembered some squash dish too, but I'm not sure about that.

They had the most unusual bread. A very soft spongy texture, full of little holes, like a baby swiss cheese. Very mild in flavor, but it was good. My daughter told me that they ferment some ingredient for a few days when making the bread, and that gives it the unique texture. It had a special name, but I've forgotten what it was.

Yeah, we might have gone a little overboard. My daughter wanted to try everything it seemed like! The spices that are used were different than anything I have ever tasted. The lady who runs the place (host, waitress, chef and cashier all in one!) told us that she has the spices shipped directly from Ethiopia.

My favorites were the Sambussa, Engudai Tibs, Yekik Alicha, and Salad - in that order. Favorite meat dish was the Lamb Alicha. The thing I would pass on for next time was the Gomen.

OK, you got me - I really didn't remember the names of all those dishes. I had to cheat and go look at their online menu to refresh my memory!

http://nyalafortcollins.com/

#287550 - 01/02/18 02:31 AM Re: Got to meet my 1st fellow ETS member in person! [Re: haertig]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I forget what the bread is called but it's very good. If it's what I'm thinking of it's almost like a cross between a pita or naan bread and a pancake, with a bit of sourdough flavor.

#287551 - 01/02/18 02:35 AM Re: Got to meet my 1st fellow ETS member in person! [Re: Phaedrus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
If it's what I'm thinking of it's almost like a cross between a pita or naan bread and a pancake, with a bit of sourdough flavor.

Yes, that's it exactly!

#287552 - 01/02/18 04:35 AM Re: Got to meet my 1st fellow ETS member in person! [Re: haertig]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This thread is making me hungry! grin There's a really good Ethiopian place about a mile and a half from my house. I'll have to head over sometime this week.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.