Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#289051 - 05/20/18 03:32 AM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am totally happy with current lights that take NiMh or li-on rechargeables - high lumen output, variable brightness, long run times, well designed, and quite reliable. I come from the bad old days of poor quality lights, leaking batteries that didn't put out that much light anyway, and failing incandescent lamps. In those days, carbide lamps were your best source for walking in the dark. Maglites were the first harbinger of change, but they have been surpassed by many current offerings which are generally even brighter and lighter. Yea Zebralight! Yea Nitecore (and many others)!

#289052 - 05/20/18 04:30 AM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
ThruNite TN12 is very versatile and an all-around good light. There are many others. Five output levels — Firefly mode is 0.4 lumen, Max is 1050 (depending on emitter). I really like mine.

#289059 - 05/20/18 06:37 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Your light is a really good example of an 18650 light available today (I have the Nitecore version). it is worth noting that it is important to equip these lights with high capacity batteries(at least 3000 mah) in order to get longer run times and capacity....

#289060 - 05/20/18 06:45 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, the link posted includes a 3400 mAh battery and a pocket USB charger. I have the charger and it makes for a nice pocket size power pack. You can take it along for an extra battery for the light or for add’l energy for your cell-phone.

#289067 - 05/23/18 01:32 AM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: hikermor]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: katarin
I have a question for you urban EDCers. How do you keep the weight down?

Many of us backpack and hike, so we are already weight conscious. In general, you value versatility as well as absolute weight - multi-use items win the day, particularly if you are considering items carried on your person.

Many EDC items hang out in a vehicle, and weight is not an issue.

I don't have a vehicle and either walk or use public transit.

#289074 - 05/23/18 12:58 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: katarin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

For basics, I would recommend a Leatherman ps4, a small MT which I use regularly (the most of the many that I own). Pair that with a small AAA flashlight and carry those with your keys. A Bic lighter is handy to have.

You can add additional items to suit your circumstances to a belt pouch or small back pack.

#289075 - 05/23/18 02:13 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I know that I have mentioned this before in other threads, but think of your gear in layers. Layer 1 is what you need to survive (basic physical survival, appropriate to your situation) and is carried on your person. Your real Every Day Carry. A cell phone is included in this in my opinion, as it can help to prevent, avoid or resolve most situations. Tools that are commonly carried by some of us may be illegal in other areas, so check to make sure. A Swiss Army Knife without a locking blade (which generally have shorter blades than the locking ones) will have multiple tools and are usually legal, even in New York City. The small multi-tools are usually legal.

Layer 2 is what you need to get home or to a safe area, which may take a little more time and effort. A small backpack, fanny pack or other bag with maps, water (because it is difficult to carry in your pocket), shelter (keep you dry and stop the wind, maybe insulating as well), power for your communications, non-technical signaling (something bright and visible that is recognizable as an emergency signal), some snacks (your brain works better with some water and energy, improving your decision making), maybe a more substantial tool or tools that are not suitable to carry in your pocket, same with light (maybe a small lantern, a more powerful signaling light).

Layer 3 is in your vehicle, on your bike or in your office or other safe area on your route. I would prep your place of work, know what resources or safe areas may be available along your route, and prep your house. This is more long term, shelter in place for more than a few hours. Water, shelter, food, first aid, water purification, decently comfortable sleeping gear. Consumable supplies for about 3 days.

Every individual's situation will be a little different. Hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes; they happen. There are many other, less common, potential emergency situations that you can prepare for, but generally if you can survive for 3 to 5 days you should be able to handle most situations until you can either receive help or get to help.

Think about what is most likely to happen, and what is most dangerous or catastrophic. What will you need to do? Where will you need to go? What will help you accomplish your immediate goals? If you are on the subway, will you need to evacuate or stay in place until rescue? Is it even possible to get out? Are you very familiar with the areas you travel through on the bus? Do you know alternate routes, what are the potential threats and safe areas along those routes?

Your brain is your most important and effective survival tool. The time you spend thinking through potential scenarios and gathering information is priceless.

#289077 - 05/23/18 02:33 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Montanero, outstanding post!!

I might add - think what you could place in your wallet(besides still more cash) - my fav are a few band aids for routine owies, but there is a lot more one could put there, depending on circumstances...

#289078 - 05/23/18 03:57 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Thanks Hikermor.

To add to what I posted before, at the risk of droning on:

The water bottles I like for pocket carry or in small bags are the flask shaped ones. There are various sizes available, and I prefer the largest opening I can find to ease refilling. There is a bottled water company that I like (normal disclaimer) called FRED. They make flask shaped bottles specifically to make them easier to carry. If it is not convenient to carry, you will not carry it, and you will not have it when you need it. The FRED bottles can be carried in a pocket if necessary. I carry them often in a jacket pocket, and they fit well in a little Kelty sling pack I have.

As has been discussed before in other threads, physical fitness can be very important. The healthier you are the more survivable you are, and the better you can handle stress and overcome obstacles (such as walking a long distance to get home). In the military (at least in my own experience) fitness is treated as a weapon system. You are better able to handle everything life can throw at you, and overcome your enemies. Any physical training is better than no physical training, do what you can.

All of the best equipment does you no good if you do not know how to use it, or if you don't carry it. Practice with it. This forum is full of good people willing to help you out, and with a great deal of knowledge and experience, use it. If you are unwilling to post publicly, contact someone privately. I think most everyone here will be more than happy to assist.

#289084 - 05/23/18 07:06 PM Re: Urban edc - City [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Montanero, outstanding post!!

I might add - think what you could place in your wallet(besides still more cash) - my fav are a few band aids for routine owies, but there is a lot more one could put there, depending on circumstances...

Yes; small tools, contact numbers and addresses, sim card, key...

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 161 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.