Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 30 of 57 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#287349 - 12/15/17 07:23 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: gonewiththewind]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Being smart and not walking in front of a moving vehicle is a good move even in broad daylight and when not trying to hide.
It might help to prevent severe injury.
Around here many people use their cell phones while driving and do not pay enough attention to the traffic.

#287350 - 12/15/17 09:33 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Just sayin', if you want to play ninja, you got to be smart about it! It is going to hurt you more than it will hurt the car.

Yes, it is made worse by drivers not paying attention. When the pedestrian and the driver are not paying attention, something is bound to happen.

#287352 - 12/16/17 02:41 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
I found 5 free gallons of kerosene.
I did a loop around the block near me and went past a garage that had a 35 gallon drum with a "free kero/#1 fuel oil" sign on it.
there was a Army trailer of the type used behind Jeeps parked there also.i went home and got a 5 gallon kero jug that had just a couple inches left in it,a big pipe wrench and the hand pump used for getting fuel into a kero stove.back at the drum I had to heave a bit to get the cap off and filled my jug.
i have a old jerry can i might take over and see if i can get more.

#287354 - 12/16/17 03:19 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
There ought to be some case law on this point. Anyone?

Long, long, long ago, I struck a jaywalker on a dark street, wearing all black, while driving at low speed, resulting in minor injuries. I stopped, summoned emergency services, and in the end the police told me I was not at fault. For boring reasons the jaywalker sued me, and lost. The black outfit was one of several significant factors at trial.

If you can prove that a reasonably careful person wouldn’t have been able to see a pedestrian in time, that could be a significant factor in your favor as a driver. I am not an attorney though.

#287360 - 12/16/17 01:55 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Jaqui... we made it all the way down to 39 (F not C), and I switched out of shorts for a couple of days.... and if any of you watch "Live, PD"... Pasco County actually has some pretty good people living in it smile

That's respectfully cold where you are, Les. I started wearing a toque full time this week. wink

We're firmly in Winter's grasp here now. We've had two decent snowfalls this week and lots of wind. We woke up to more flurries this morning. I think we're expecting the temperature to come up a little today to only feel like -14C. We're in no danger of having to dig out, but it's very cold and slippery. The roads are a mess. We were expecting flurries yesterday but ended up with a mini snow storm instead. Traffic was predictably terrible. (I'm really glad I work at home.) There's a nice layer of ice between the layers of snow, so walking is tricky. This maybe the year that Santa delivers snowshoes. wink

That said, it is beautiful out there. Bacpacgirl and I are going on a hike today. We're going to practice staying warm, hopefully with some flint and steel fire making in the snow with a little brew up.

I got a chilly reminder about the importance of layering on Tuesday, when I dragged the girls to school on the sled. I was totally overdressed, and wore a cotton bra to boot! UGH! I was SO hot and sweaty. I brought the little one home after drop-off, so I could change before we headed out on our hike. I was perfectly comfortable after that, but I had a chill all day because of that start. smirk

Re: black clothes. I have this conversation daily with my teenager. He leaves for school before the sun comes up and visibility is an issue. He's got reflective bits on his boots, coat and backpack, and knows not to jaywalk, but it worries me. We've drilled into his head since he was little, not to take the attention and skill of drivers for granted. Assume that they aren't going to see you. I'm always trying to up the safety factor. He always rolls his eyes and suggests that I drive him instead. UGH!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#287378 - 12/16/17 08:23 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Yesterday I ran across such a ninja -- he was was a bicyclist, dressed in all black on a black bike, waiting in the turning bay in the center turning lane away from any street light. He was waiting for an opening in the traffic so he can cut across the road to a store. I didn't notice him until he moved. I felt like rolling down my window and shouting, "Hey, get some reflective strips! Also, read ETS!"

#287386 - 12/17/17 01:24 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Refurbished and restored my stash of water. Reviewing and assessing all emergency stores in light of recent events.....

#287403 - 12/18/17 08:51 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

indoor/outdoor workout. Updating phone. New checklist.
Ordering som long term food.

#287426 - 12/19/17 07:58 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Doesn't qualify as "today", but I know Santa is helping me with some upgrades on the 25th!

#287466 - 12/23/17 04:29 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Went through my storage room and cleaned, checked expiry dates, and reorganized everything.

Page 30 of 57 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.