Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#287067 - 11/09/17 11:23 PM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Considering the potential,I am glad this thread hasn't resulted in a flame war...

#287070 - 11/10/17 02:17 AM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Into the Naughty Chair with you! For gratuitous comedic shenanigans! laugh

#287071 - 11/10/17 02:31 AM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Every car fire I've seen in person was well past the "run away" stage and could not have been knocked down with any fire extinguisher that doesn't come with its own diesel engine. With the small size of my car and all the other stuff I carry, it hasn't been a priority for me to find a reasonable way to carry one in my car.

If I ever go back to a pickup from the four-door sedans I've been driving, I may change my mind.

#287072 - 11/10/17 02:51 AM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Considering the potential,I am glad this thread hasn't resulted in a flame war...

You have never been in a flame war unless you have been a member of the Keven and Kell forum from 2003 to 2008. One flame war literally lasted for years. People were beating the same horse even after its body had long decomposed.

Jeanette Isabelle

#287073 - 11/10/17 03:35 AM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: hikermor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
the incident I referred to... I just happened to be following a Florida Highway Patrol officer as we approached an intersection with a rail road crossing, and encountered a momentarily puzzling scene... what in fact I was looking at was a Chevy Tahoe SUV wedged at 90degrees under the bed of a semi, front window smashed and pushed to the steering column ...rear wheels still spinning, and billowing blue smoke...both front doors were inoperable and the FHP officer then attempted to break the rear passenger door window, requiring more than a half dozen hits with a PR24 baton... at that point the rear tire ignited as he entered the SUV to take it out of gear...I emptied my 2 1/2# bottle just as fire rescue arrived, and they quickly got a hose reel into action as the tire was still smouldering... ... I didn't really want to take a look at the driver...

#287092 - 11/13/17 03:44 PM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: hikermor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Many many years ago I used to work at a GM proving ground. We were taught there that if you have an engine fire make sure you pull the hood release (from inside the passenger compartment) as soon as possible, but do NOT try to open the hood (or release the under-hood lever) because the rush of oxygen will make the issue even worse. They told us to call pull the interior release, step away from the car, call the fire department, and wait.

I guess the fire can damage the hood release cable/connector and make the hood almost unopenable if you don't pull the interior release rather soon. If that happens all they can do is try to fight the fire from underneath - which has only limited effect.

#287093 - 11/13/17 04:32 PM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: KenK]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
The hood release of most cars has some plastic parts in it. They may melt and disconnect the cable. The cable itself usually can take quite a bit of heat.
The first problem with opening the hood is your position. Usually the person opening the hood is right where flames will come out during opening. That can result in severe burns. The oxygen rush may make it worse.

#287520 - 12/27/17 04:33 AM Re: The well-equipped automobile [Re: M_a_x]
tangelo Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
The hood release of most cars has some plastic parts in it. They may melt and disconnect the cable. The cable itself usually can take quite a bit of heat.
The first problem with opening the hood is your position. Usually the person opening the hood is right where flames will come out during opening. That can result in severe burns. The oxygen rush may make it worse.

We've seen some hood release problems related to plastic part somehow deformed due to melting. It really seems the cable is the source of the heat somehow. The last one was on buddy's F150 when we installed the new set of tires and rancho lift kit. We had a hard time opening the hood due to deformed plastic part.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 215 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.