Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#286830 - 10/20/17 05:37 PM New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Reading an essay on planning I realized that we might be planning - and packing , for the wrong thing.

During most events 99% of the time we'll be 'bugging out' to a hotel, friends house or community shelter. Not a spot in the woods.

And if my car breaks down, I'm not walking home. ( ride, rail, stay at work, uber, bike...)

So why am I packing like a Boy Scout? Do I need a water filter, tarp and whet stone?? Its more likely that I'll need a phone charger, contact solution and clean shirt for work.

Thoughts?

#286832 - 10/20/17 05:49 PM Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm strongly in favor of phone charger, contact lens solution, and clean clothes.

But.

Other than the phone charger and possibly the contact lens supplies, these are more comfort items than survival items. That's not wrong, it's just not all.

#286834 - 10/20/17 05:58 PM Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

If you are ready for the woods, you are ready for someone's house or a hotel. The only things I would add are more clothes and toiletries.

#286835 - 10/20/17 06:17 PM Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It depends completely upon your situation and environment. What works for the typical urban environment will not play well in, say, Death Valley....There you would do well to emulate the Boy Scouts.

#286836 - 10/20/17 06:33 PM Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

What works in a rural/wilderness area can still be useful in an urban area, but much that you would carry on a business trip in your suitcase will not help much in the woods. In a larger disaster, you may evacuate, but get stuck on the road out. Or the area you go to could lose power, or suffer from an emergency also. You can still use a tent to camp in a friend's back yard, or even an airport (yes I have seen that done). Some of the tools may not be acceptable in some areas, such as axes, machetes, hatchets, large knives; but I still take them (unless flying).

I generally travel with my usual work clothing, suitable for the climate and the work, and I also carry my emergency stuff. For my house, my family has BOBs with field equipment, and a small duffle with more clothing and more urban stuff.

The principles never change, whether in the wilderness or New York City. You need water, shelter, signaling, heat. Yes, the water purification may be unnecessary, but then again it may be needed. Some refugee shelters I have seen were worse than a wilderness environment.

#286837 - 10/20/17 09:41 PM Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I always make sure I have shoes in which I can walk a goodly distance if required, even if I have to wear "grown-up (business) attire. Usually a pair of sturdy sneakers...

#286839 - 10/21/17 02:06 AM Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I call that an overnight bag — it comes in a small duffel.

The GHB is for a specific purpose and that is the BIG southern California earthquake that will hopefully arrive after I no longer reside in the #&?$%@ utopia. However, since the EQ is overdue, I’ll continue to stay prepared at the individual and household level. As we have discussed many times, EQ’s are come as you are events. It’s bad form to show up with your pants down.

#286840 - 10/21/17 03:35 AM Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism [Re: TeacherRO]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I will begin this reply with an admission, I overpack. I also live very urban , but occasionally drive 50-100 miles in my professional life, to city, surburban and even semi rural locations. I can be working late and in all weather conditions.

In my car (a mid-size SUV, , nice interior but nothing fancy) is a 72 hour bag,ensolite pad, sleeping bag , bivvy bag & walking stick. That’s to keep me alive if I have to walk away, e.g. a Manhattan 9/11 scenario or sleep in the car or rest stop building in a blizzard or other all night road emergency. This bag has a really good pump water purifier that would clean up even urban street puddle water. Lifeboat rations, water bottles, hurricane matches, lighter, tinder, headlamp, compass, first aid kit, extra daily meds, , cash, 550 cord , HD foil blanket, Gorilla tape flat roll, small am-fm radio, silcock key, leather gloves, multi tool, N-95 masks, goggles, trioxane fold-up stove, aluminum qt. pot, etc. are also packed. ( No helmet that I remember. Maybe I should get a plastic construction helmet or throw in my bike helmet)

There are also emergency clothing changes, including boots and hiking gear, blue blazer ,shirt, pants, tie, duffle coat and toiletries/ towel. Usually a shrink wrap with 8 20oz. water bottles is also packed.

There’s also an oversized Trauma kit, in an orange plastic box, because I used to be an EMT on a busy ambulance squad and multilpe casualty scenarios are, unfortunately, a fact of life.

The usual small toolkit, jumper cables, fire extinguisher, reflective triangles, inverter, tire inflator-sealant cans, short handled shovel, heavy plastic bottle of sand, flares, tow strap, etc. are also present. A 4 cell Maglite with LED insert and extra batteries, glasses ( sun & regular), waterproof pad&pen, accident report form, paper area maps, ResQme, folding umbrella,, phone charging cord, old flip cell phone ( without a service , but it will dial 911), snacks and 4 20oz water bottles, are up front.

Finally there is my real just in case gear: lightweight hydrant wrench, camp axe, 24” bolt cutter, 24” crowbar, hacksaw with multipurpose rod blades, 100’ of HD rope, 8’ green tarp, gas mask and filter. Even I see this as overkill.

Am I overstocked- packed? Probably. But, what the heck . None of it is dangerous or illegal and you never can tell....

Edited by acropolis5 (10/21/17 03:41 AM)

#286850 - 10/21/17 10:40 PM Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
You plan for your risks. If you're in the city, a street map and cash is worth a lot more then a ferrocium rod and a tarp. I'm not saying you'll never need a ferrocium rod and a tarp, but you'll be more likely to need cash and a street map

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#286853 - 10/22/17 08:16 AM Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism [Re: TeacherRO]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I think that planning and packing could follow a three point approach:
  • best case scenario: plan and pack everything you are going to need
  • most likely case scenario: plan and try to pack everything you might need
  • reasonable worst case scenario: plan for it and pack according to your budget in money, bulk and weight

That approach allows to prioritize and have reasonable preparation. The proper packlist will be individual and varying over the seasons anyway. If your worst case scenario does not show the need for water filter, tarp and whet stone don´t pack it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.