Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#286795 - 10/18/17 12:34 AM ETS Dream
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
To the best of my recollection, this is the first time I had a dream involving this forum. In the dream, a lot of forum members believed I was still in high school despite the fact I'm thirty-one. In it, setting the record straight proved to be a challenge because members wanted proof.

Jeanette Isabelle

#286797 - 10/18/17 01:53 AM Re: ETS Dream [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Next year you can shave off a decade and honestly start telling people you're only 20. Well technically, 0x20 - but only us engineers, computer programmers and mathematicians will pick up on that little detail. And we won't tell!

#286806 - 10/18/17 04:15 PM Re: ETS Dream [Re: haertig]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
frown. I am an engineer and computer programmer. Around here we do not condone tricks like that.
Honesty goes a long way. Just the other day honesty paid off. Steering board took it very calmly when being told that a required change would increase the time to release (and cause missing the deadline). The graph clearly showed the remaining time would double. Steering board members know what logarithmic scales are, don´t they? whistle
Besides as mechanical engineer I´m used to employ safety factors: estimate age and multiply by 2 or 3 to avoid being too low (I do cap at the average life expectancy though)

#286807 - 10/18/17 05:16 PM Re: ETS Dream [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
Next year you can shave off a decade and honestly start telling people you're only 20. Well technically, 0x20 - but only us engineers, computer programmers and mathematicians will pick up on that little detail. And we won't tell!

I'm an 80s child. I don't want to alter that.

Edit: When I was raised helps to define who I am. Most of my upbringing was during a more simpler time before the world went off the edge.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (10/18/17 05:22 PM)

#286809 - 10/18/17 07:13 PM Re: ETS Dream [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Most of my upbringing was during a more simpler time before the world went off the edge.
Jeanette Isabelle

Too true, but then I think that all of us, and especially those of us born before 1950, think exactly the same thing, and think that those of you born in the 1980s are still, well, a bit young, and really don't understand. . . grin laugh blush

#286810 - 10/18/17 07:56 PM Re: ETS Dream [Re: bws48]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bws48
Too true, but then I think that all of us, and especially those of us born before 1950, think exactly the same thing, and think that those of you born in the 1980s are still, well, a bit young, and really don't understand. . . grin laugh blush

What I loved most about being a child prodigy was astonishing your generation with what I knew. I studied cultural history. Therefore, I was able to hold my own in a conversation with my grandparents' generation. We would talk about Sky King, Tom Mix and the Straight Shooters or why the 1907 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost was cutting edge for its time. I even brought up The Cinnamon Bear in one conversation. And I was able to do all that without the help of any internet device.

To quote the TV series The Pretender: "The worst thing that could ever happen to a child prodigy is to grow up."

Jeanette Isabelle

#286811 - 10/18/17 08:51 PM Re: ETS Dream [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You’ve got a point there; I was a lot smarter in my teens and 20’s, I knew everything. Now that I’m older I know that I don’t.

#286812 - 10/18/17 09:39 PM Re: ETS Dream [Re: M_a_x]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Besides as mechanical engineer I´m used to employ safety factors: estimate age and multiply by 2 or 3 to avoid being too low

Same thing for estimating time to complete a project. Take you initial estimate, double it, and move it to the next higher unit.
Thus, a "1 day" job should be scheduled to require "2 weeks".

#286814 - 10/19/17 01:29 AM Re: ETS Dream [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I'm an 80s child. I don't want to alter that.

Edit: When I was raised helps to define who I am. Most of my upbringing was during a more simpler time before the world went off the edge.

One of the things one learns with advancing age, and from the serious study of history, is that the world has "gone off the edge" many times in the past. Recent events, unsettling as they seem to us, are hardly the first time, nor are they the most dangerous time that the world has been in chaos.

#286816 - 10/19/17 03:11 AM Re: ETS Dream [Re: AKSAR]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
...the world has "gone off the edge" many times in the past...

I remember thinking that in the mid-70's ... when Disco became popular in clubs. What a nightmare!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 176 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.