Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#286726 - 10/12/17 02:41 PM Re: the 10 essentials...prep for camping/hiking [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SOCAL
Getting disoriented and turned around is easy without visual reference. There are lots of visual we should see but often overlook; itís part of situational awareness (SA).

You bring up a good point though about compasses being off (sometimes by a lot). I carry more than one and check them with known references. That SA thing again. My GPS also has an electronic compass and the GPS receiver tracks your direction of travel; either can be used to check a compass. Make sure you set-up the GPS for magnetic rather than true or you will have a built-in error. I always (almost?) use magnetic north as a reference just to remove that possibility of confusion.

#286728 - 10/12/17 04:00 PM Re: the 10 essentials...prep for camping/hiking [Re: Russ]
hikermor Online   content
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Actually,most of the time when I am out and about, I navigate by terrain association which works fine in country with significant relief, but is no good in thick, flat woodland, dense fog, etc. Often the problem isn't that you don't know where you are. You know where you are just fine, but the problem is how to get to where you want to be...

That is why a good topo map is absolutely critical. It will indicate possible routes and potentially save you a lot of time. It will also point out good camp sites and water sources and other good things. It helps if your map is up to date - many are not.

#286729 - 10/12/17 06:20 PM Re: the 10 essentials...prep for camping/hiking [Re: TeacherRO]
Ren Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I am adding a spare, external cell phone batterey
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Yes - and my energizer glowstick with a handful of batteries can go 100+ hours...

Came across these whilst trawling the internet

http://uyled.com/uyled-products/camping-lamp/

Waterproof LED light and USB battery pack. Available at places like Aliexpress, the smaller 1x18650 Q7M is $14 atm.

#286730 - 10/12/17 06:28 PM Re: the 10 essentials...prep for camping/hiking [Re: TeacherRO]
Montanero Offline
Old Hand

Loc: North Carolina
In flat, featureless terrain, and I include flat forested areas, along with periods of decreased visibility, such as sand storms or blizzards (or nighttime), a compass or GPS, and a map are pretty important. Azimuth and distance can get you through these types of areas and situations. Most people will choose not to move at night or in blizzards or sad storms, but a very foggy day can last a while and disrupt a good hiking plan. Good planning of your route can ensure you do not get lost, if you have to move.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, hikermor), 255 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Cowherd35, pecenco, jacklii, DIYELECTROAL, plazacutlery
5226 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Roarmeister
Today at 06:54 PM
Fun Continues After the Emergency!
by hikermor
Today at 05:49 PM
Happy Hanukkah
by chaosmagnet
Today at 02:37 PM
building in a fire zone
by hikermor
Today at 04:26 AM
How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps)
by Russ
12/11/17 04:20 PM
Fire Preparedness Article
by Russ
12/11/17 04:10 PM
Getting found: reflectivity & lights
by Herman30
12/10/17 08:02 AM
Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency
by M_a_x
12/09/17 09:09 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.