Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#286471 - 09/26/17 03:09 AM Commercial Kits Starting Out as Creator's Personal
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
There are commercial first aid and survival kits that are based on a kit the creator designed for him/her self. The following are ones I know of:

http://www.dougritter.com/DR-aviator_survival_pak_index.htm
https://www.prosurvivalkit.com/store/kits/master-pro-survival-kit
http://www.aeromedix.com/medical-supplies/doc-blue-s-family-medical-kit

What are some commercial kits you know of that are based on kits the creator designed for him/her self?

Jeanette Isabelle

#286494 - 09/27/17 04:46 PM Re: Commercial Kits Starting Out as Creator's Personal [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You have an interesting assortment. They are all survival kits designed for aviation, which poses its own unique challenges, in that the equipment must be suitable for a wide range of environments.

In my own county, a difference of only a few minutes flight time can mean dealing with open ocean, an island, settled urban areas, or mountainous, snow covered in season, terrain.

Non-aviators generally do not have to deal with such a wide variety of environments and can specialize their gear more specifically to the mission at hand. When I was active in wilderness SAR, we always kept a pack loaded and ready to go for the fairly common need to respond immediately for an operation of unknown duration (not usually more than three days). In southern Arizona, this meant conditions ranging from blinding summer heat to steep, snow covered mountains in winter, with caves and swift water rescue for variety,we were constantly tweaking the contents of our packs to meet the changing seasons - from "giant water bottles" (as one of colleagues described them) to much lighter winter assortments of warm clothing and bivouac gear. One can usually tweak a survival pack to meet foreseeable circumstances.

This is why I would agree with the statement by Doug Ritter and others that the best survival pack is that which you assemble personally to meet your own needs. Often these are nothing more than common household and camping items (matches and knives, etc) carefully assembled and identified.

For most us, normal foresight and planning means we do not have to indulge in the very expensive, all-purpose aviation kits (although expensive, the cost is justified to some extent by the R&D required to develop them.

When you think about it, any time you pack up for anything ranging from a day hike to a multi-day backpack, you are assembling gear appropriate for what might be termed "comfortable survival" AKA "rugged camping"... What actual gear is involved will vary widely, depending on the individual and their skills, tastes, and preferences...

#286495 - 09/27/17 05:21 PM Re: Commercial Kits Starting Out as Creator's Personal [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla

#286497 - 09/27/17 05:49 PM Re: Commercial Kits Starting Out as Creator's Personal [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
This is why I would agree with the statement by Doug Ritter and others that the best survival pack is that which you assemble personally to meet your own needs.

I thought the Master Pro Survival Kit is more of a wilderness kit. Anyhow, though adjusted several times over the years, my EDC bag was designed based on my experiences in Dallas when an unplanned overnighter was the norm.

The reason for the initial question is I do learn from other people's designs. It has also been my observation that the best commercial kit designs come from a bag a person built for him/her self.

Jeanette Isabelle

#286498 - 09/27/17 06:57 PM Re: Commercial Kits Starting Out as Creator's Personal [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Unfortunately, the MasterPro is probably the most dubious and the most over-priced kit of the assemblage, starting with their headline slogan
-“IF YOU CAN'T SURVIVE WITH THIS, YOU WEREN'T MEANT TO.”
When it comes to really serious survival (not just a mildly uncomfortable night in the woods)what really counts is not the various gadgets in your bag, but your attitude, skills, and knowledge, as shown in the critical decisions you make (or fail to make).

And I have issues with some of the MasterPro gadgets. The Gerber Clutch multi-tool is, to put it mildly, a POS. The one light shown is outdated, in terms of current technology. The first aid material is ludicrous - three bandaids? no Ace bandage or tape? What is with the mini-carabiner (presumably non-climbing rated)? Of course, there is the obligatory fishing kit, which may or may not be appropriate for the situation. I would save a lot of money and use any of several Mora knives (my kit sports a DR Mk 5). I'll bet I could assemble virtually this same kit from my miscellaneous gear and items around the house, for about one-quarter the price.

And I'll bet your choices for unplanned urban overnights are a lot better than any of these assemblages, including my own. Circumstances vary wildly.

#286507 - 09/28/17 05:07 AM Re: Commercial Kits Starting Out as Creator's Personal [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Some of stuff in the Master Pro is of good quality. For no good reason I find myself intrigued by the knife they sell (mostly because I'm just a knife nerd in general). At first blush it doesn't really look much more capable than the RSK Mk6 although it's twice the price.

I think Jeanette's list includes some very good stuff. If we're talking kits sold by the designer- and not a committee of marketing folks like the SOL stuff- then I don't know of an awful lot. Personally I like to design my own kits for the area where I will be using them. But very often the kernel of the kit that I build on is a Ritter PSP. It's just too good a value to omit!

#286510 - 09/28/17 10:55 AM Re: Commercial Kits Starting Out as Creator's Personal [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have found that the Ritter PSK is not only a great kit but sized perfectly for the pockets of a Stearn’s life jacket (PFD). That’s where mine lives since my PFD is never far from my reach, on the boat or at home.

I have no affiliation with Doug Ritter or with Stearn’s PFD’s except that I like them and use them.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.