The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#285485 - 08/16/17 11:18 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'd say watch it on TV/computer after explaining the health risk to their eyes.

Game: set up an indoors campout with a very short nighttime????

#285487 - 08/17/17 02:38 AM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
There was a total eclipse when I was a kid in 1979, and the whole school went outside with glasses to watch it. It's forever in my memory.

Same here! I was 10 years old and remember the whose school going outside to watch it. Very cool.

#285489 - 08/17/17 07:53 AM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
There was a total eclipse when I was a kid in 1979, and the whole school went outside with glasses to watch it. It's forever in my memory.

We're only getting a partial eclipse here this time, and I'm trying to decide what to do with the kiddos. I'll have four on Monday, ages 2,3,4 and 5. 14 year old bacpacboy will be here too. I don't trust them not to take their glasses off. wink Watch the shadows outside or watch the eclipse on tv/computer?

Does anyone know of any cool things activities to do with the kiddos during a partial eclipse?

There's a low tech pinhole projector you can make out of a cereal box. I'm probably going to make one out of a mailing tube to get a bigger projection picture.
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/solar-viewing-projector

This also might be a good time to start lessons on planets, orbits, and the sun. Also, check with the local libraries and they might be having eclipse viewing parties

The last two eclipses I viewed through the eclipse glasses and an arc welding helmet

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#285490 - 08/17/17 01:15 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
We have had a lot of rain this Summer. Yesterday the rain was so heavy it severely damaged one of our trees. Anyhow, Monday's forecast is a chance of a thunderstorm.

Jeanette Isabelle

#285502 - 08/18/17 02:36 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Solar eclipse glasses
Quote:
...NASA also suggests checking that the glasses you use aren’t damaged and that they’re compliant with the ISO 12312-2 international safety standard.

Earlier this week Time reported that Amazon sent out a warning to its customers to ensure that their glasses aren’t fake. The online retailer said in a statement that it discovered companies selling fake eclipse glasses on it website and will be offering refunds to those who bought them. Sellers will now have to provide verification documents before being allowed to sell such glasses on the site. ...

#285503 - 08/18/17 10:20 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Kudos to Amazon for taking some initiative here but the sad fact is that they have been very lax about policing counterfeit stuff over the last year or so.

#285510 - 08/19/17 04:57 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Bingley]
Pete Offline
Veteran

whrn i was a kid, they always recommended projecting the image of the Sun through lenses ... like binoculars or a telescope lens. I dont mean looking at the Sun directly through these objects. I mean allowing the rays of the sun to enter the principal lens, and then shine the image onto a piece of cardboard. This is very effective, if done well.

#285511 - 08/19/17 06:50 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? [Re: Pete]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
My plan is to enjoy the darkness and coolness during the eclipse. Look around at my surroundings here on earth. Looking directly at the eclipse ... it will be just a small black circle with some rays going out from it. Impressive enough, but professionally taken pictures, of which there should be about ten bazillion available after the eclipse, will show much more than my eyes could have ever seen live.

#285516 - 08/20/17 06:19 AM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? - A 6" dia image [Re: haertig]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
A method that I used quite sucessfully to show off the sun for the transit of Venus back in 2012 was to reflect the sun (from a signal mirror, naturally!) through a large pinhole ( 1/4" = 6 mm, in my case) into a darkened room to project on a white piece of paper at the appropriate distance from the "pinhole" (53.7 ft in this case, though I'm sure I was a couple feet off).

In my case, the image of the sun was 6" diameter with a theoretical image resolution of 1.5 mm. Convection currents made the image ripple a bit, but it was still good enough to show sunspots and Venus, and the 6" diameter image was impressive for the neighbors and their children that I shuttled through.

A (cleaned up as described thereon) photo can be viewed here: 6" diameter image of transit of Venus in 2012

For this round, I'm using a smartphone photo clamp to mount the signal mirror to my tripod for easy adjustment as the sun moves.

For a 1/4 inch ( 6 mm ) diameter hole, WIkipedia says you can get 1.5 mm resolution on a 153 mm wide projected sun images if the spacing from the hole to the projection screen is 54 feet. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_camera The formula is:
d = 2 * sqrt( f * lambda), where:
d = diameter of the pinhole: 0.006 meters in this case
lambda = the wavelength of the light: 550 x 10^-9 for the middle of the visual band
f = hole to screen distance: 16.36 meters = 53.7 feet, here
s = radius = d/2
resolution = s/2 at optimum distance = d/4 = 1.5 mm here
Projected sun diameter = f/107 = 153 mm here.

Edited by rafowell (08/20/17 06:21 AM)
Edit Reason: add detail.

#285521 - 08/20/17 02:24 PM Re: Solar eclipse, anyone? - A 6" dia image [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I've been monitoring the forecast. There is still a 40% chance of a thunderstorm at the time of the eclipse.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.