Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#28538 - 06/25/04 01:42 PM Positive Effects
joblot Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Has anyone found that there are positive knock-on effects in the quest to be well equippedl?
The ethos of being prepared, choosing the right equipment (or not, as my wallet will testify!) and generally making some order out of my life, has made me more focused and organised.
For example. My apartment has never looked so clean and organised. For once in my life I know where everything is, and I very rarely lose anything.
I realised also that all the best equippment in the world will mean nothing if you don't look after yourself....so with a lot of will and determination, I gave up smoking, and for the first time in 5 years visited my dentist.
The result:
I am irritable, and slightly fatter. My dentist is £1000 richer, with a promise of more to come. However I am happy with my life. I am happy with the sense of empowerment, of being in control, that being prepared seems to given me.
Is it just me? Has anyone else noticed a change in thier life style?

#28539 - 06/25/04 02:57 PM Re: Positive Effects
Vinosaur Offline
dedicated member

Loc: North Central IL
I have had similar experiences as you. While my changes were started last Sept in an attempt to put myself into better physical condition. I started working out again after a much too long absence, cut out most of the junk I had been eating, and became more productive. I have more energy, and have actually put more money in the wallet since I don't eat out as often, but that has been offset by the need to purchase new clothing since I have currently lost over 45 pounds and 8 inches from my waist. But in keeping with this thread, it has led me to be far more organized, and helped me keep track of my surroundings better. I am still attempting to get all my different kits organized, and will be there soon. In my defense, it has been a very busy time in my life since Aug 03 when I bought my first home. But, I would definately say that the persuit of being equipped has led to positive changes in other aspects of my life.

#28540 - 06/25/04 03:49 PM Re: Positive Effects
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Generally and Off the Top of my Head, -I've Got Similar Positive Changes & Effects in my Own Life.

Whether Survivi-Prep Related and/or Not!, -I've Gotten Away!, -a Good Number of Years Ago now, -from some Former Atrocious!, -Disorganized Messes! (Abode, Bedroom, Boxes of Papers, Stuff, Etc.). I've also Gotten Lean and Basic!

Certainly from Survivi-Prep Comes a Basic Look at Everyday Items and Such, -that I Come Across in Life! Of "What Use(s) or Applications Can This be Put To?!" Be it a Preparedness Use or Application or Not.

And Without being an Undue Packrat or Hoarder, -My Sense and Practice Along these Lines, -Has Been Heightened, Increased, and Sharpened!

It's also Inspired me to Redouble any Boning Up Efforts I've Got to Do!, -on Things like Geography, Travel, Maps and Mapping, Foreign Languages and Cultures, Plants and Gardening, Poisonous and Edible Plants and Animals,
Fishing, At Least Basic Firearms Knowledge, Martial Arts and Other Self Defense Techniques, Dwelling Construction Techniques and Materials, Agriculture, Forestry, Fish and Chicken Raising, Archery, First Aid / Safety / Rescue, and So On, Natural and Manmade Disasters, and Many Other More or Less Related Fields in Life!

And Oh Yeah! Health, Nutrition, and Physical Fitness! And the Importance of All Adequate and Called For Sleep and Rest! Not that I Wasn't Substantially Already into these Before!

As to Dental Problems that have Arisen Over the Course of Life!, -This is One of my Greatest Lessons Learned / Greatest Regrets! I Should Have Simply Listened To!, -and Taken to Heart!, -All those Many Things I've Heard back in Elementary School! About the Importance and Means of Properly Looking After your Teeth! I somehow Passed it Off as of Low Priority Importance! I've Had Many Dental Problems! / Much Dental Worh Done!, Over my Adult Life, -as a Result! I'm Not Saying that the Same Extent has Applied to you, -But it Certainly Has to me!

My Message to Others is to Take it from Someone Who Knows! And Don't Be Like Me! Take Attention and Care of your Teeth! Beginning in your Younger Days! The Younger and Earlier your Start, -The Better!

I've Avoided the Occassional Painful Episode, -for a Good Many Years now! Since I've Brot the Matter a Good Ways Up onto my Personal Radar Screen. But I've Still Got to Finish Getting my Act Fully and Consistently Together Here! This Here has just Served as a Reminder!

Health, Fitness, and Nutrition are Certainly some Topmost of Topmost!, -Things in Life! Dental Care and Maintenence is Certainly a Part of That! Except for Essentially Dental Matters, and Being Somewhat Overweight since Age 26, -I've Always Had and Have Things Nailed Down Pretty Good!, -on the Health Front!

Smoking, Drink, and Drugs has Fortunately Never Been a Matter or Problem!, with me! Here I of Course and Definitly Listened!, -to All the various Warnings I'd Gotten back in my School Days! And Moreover, -Ardently and Definitely Didn't Want to Get into Any Such Anyway!

There's also Been Increased Mutual "Crossover" Benefits!, -Between my Great and Longstanding Love and Interest in the Outdoors and Outdoorsmanship!, -and the Wide World of Survival / Preparedness!

And Oh Yes!, -as you've said, -That Increased Sense of Empowerment and Being In Control! To Which I'd Add!, -Some Definite Senses of Security!

And a Sense and Awareness of the Utter Importance and Relevance of Survival / Preparedness! [color:"black"] [/color] [email]joblot[/email]

Edited by ScottRezaLogan (06/25/04 04:00 PM)

#28541 - 06/25/04 05:57 PM Re: Positive Effects
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I noted the same effect in an earlier thread (though my notes were somewhat OT for that thread). I used to have all kind of tools and gear but could never find anything or stuff would get broken from layng around. Now I'm picky, I won't buy just anything, it has to fit into my scheme and organization standards before I will buy it. I also have to have a place to store and care for anything I buy weather it be a specific place in the garage or its own carrying pouch/bag every item will have some amount of thought to it before I buy (well mostly, sometimes I still buy and find a place for later.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 525 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.