Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 18 of 57 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#283906 - 02/28/17 02:54 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Have you tried a bicycle? For some it's a much better option. IMO pushing a bike which is carrying a load is preferable to carrying that load on your back.

#283907 - 02/28/17 03:02 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
If there is a mass evacuation, what is the likelihood of keeping a bike?

Jeanette Isabelle

#283908 - 02/28/17 03:18 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I've always felt that one of the benefits of prior planning is an ability to avoid the mass. Your call.

#283909 - 02/28/17 03:28 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
I've always felt that one of the benefits of prior planning is an ability to avoid the mass. Your call.

Valid point. I did not give as much of a consideration the odds for an advanced warning to bug out. You're right. There would have to be an advanced notice of some sort.

Jeanette Isabelle

#283910 - 02/28/17 03:58 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Paying attention to current events, symptoms of a major problem, and deciding where that trend is going and acting on your gut instinct may be the only warning that you have.

#283911 - 02/28/17 07:31 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
If there is a mass evacuation, what is the likelihood of keeping a bike?

Jeanette Isabelle

It doesn't necessarily have to be a conventional bicycle. Folding luggage/grocery cart (40-150 lbs capacity), stripped down umbrella stroller (40 lbs capacity), folding golf push cart (50 lbs?), rolling backpack/luggage (20-50 lbs), and folding bicycle/push scooters. If you don't need to ride it, there is a wide selection of rolling load carriers. My only .02 is to restrict your luggage size to carryon since you're going to be sharing luggage space with a lot of other people.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#283918 - 03/01/17 01:56 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Precisely what are circumstances of this hypothesized "mass evacuation?" Any historical examples? Are we talking about something like the recent Oroville example, or something even more organized and controlled?

#283919 - 03/01/17 02:07 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

My thought went to the Katrina evac to the Superdome or the evac from NOLA to the Houston Astrodome. I would prefer to avoid those shelter options.

#283920 - 03/01/17 02:25 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Precisely what are circumstances of this hypothesized "mass evacuation?" Any historical examples? Are we talking about something like the recent Oroville example, or something even more organized and controlled?

Originally Posted By: Russ
To some extent you can run what-if scenarios and prepare for those situations. Much of what we discuss here are just that in the sense of: "what if" that happened to me?

Be the situation a hurricane on its way, a tornado, wildfire or earthquake, the needs afterward are very similar in the way of shelter-water-food. The preps for one often suffice as preps for the others, basics are basics. Get the basic shelter-water-food for a hurricane and then expand for your specific what-if's.

Take the experiences of others here and use them, don't think of them in the abstract, think of whether those experiences apply to you.

I consider scenarios such as a tsunami, damaged infrastructure stopping products from getting to the stores, an EMP attack or some other attack on the power grid, war, the collapse of the economy and needing to get out of Dodge with nothing but what we can carry.

If it were just a tsunami, damaged infrastructure, attack on the power grid, war or collapse of the economy then likely we will bug in. If it appears as if it will get worse, we'll pack what we can.

One historical example may be World War II with the Jews fleeing to Israel. Another would be the Armenians fleeing to the United States.

I don't know what you mean by well organized.

Jeanette Isabelle

#283928 - 03/01/17 11:55 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT

I'm a city gal. I don't do outdoors.

Jeanette Isabelle

Best to test it, before it's thrust upon you. Sleep on the floor, see what you need to do to get comfortable. Then, give the backyard, or a nearby campground, a try.

Page 18 of 57 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.