Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 57 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#282579 - 10/20/16 03:20 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Newsman]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Newsman
Having seen what comes out of a boat drain hole -- spilled fuel and oil, battery acid, bird droppings, all sorts of rancid bait and fish goo -- I'd be interested to see how usable the water would be. Certainly better than nothing, but the fuel and oil seem worrisome.

I keep the boat immaculate and it is washed thoroughly inside and out after every outing. There is never any worry about battery acid (no battery as the motor is pull start), no worry about oil as none is carried as the motor is 4 stroke, so never need to mix oil and gas. As for rancid bait and fish goo, not in my boats...ever.

The main purpose of that water though would be for other uses then drinking, but if it ever came down to it, with some filtering, I would not hesitate to drink the water from the boat.

As for bird droppings, you have drank water from a lake or river at some point in your life, right?

Edited by Teslinhiker (10/20/16 03:33 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification

John Lubbock

#282584 - 10/20/16 12:33 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Remember, that clear, sparkling water from the babbling mountain brook at one time was undoubtedly dinosaur [censored] - just another thoughtful paleontological insight....

#282585 - 10/20/16 12:53 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
How are you holding up??

The much anticpated storm was not what was expected. Depending on the area, the winds were gusting up to 45-60 miles per hour along with very heavy rain with Friday afternoon being the worst. In a period of 3 days, collectively close to 200,000 homes were without power for varying duration. I was impressed with our provincial electrical company aka BC Hydro For this storm, a lot of their crews were preementively located to many areas before the storm hit and it paid off as they were able to quickly restore power as the outages occurred. Last I looked on Monday, less then 1500 homes were without power.

As for us we lost power on Friday but it was only for a brief time. However when the power came back on, we took a couple of strong surges and 2 kitchen lights blew and on bulb actually shattered as somehow we had missed turning off that switch when the power intially went out. Other then that, no other damage to report.

The heavy rain lasted all weekend then slowed somewhat into Monday and Tuesday. After some real heavy rain early this morning the afternoon was actually sunny for awhile. Ironically though we lost power late this afternoon, but again, it was only briefly. Not sure the reason, but doubtful it had anything to do with the weather.

Tonight we are back to rain which is going to stay with us throughout the weekend. This month alone we have received just shy of 200 mm (7.5 inches) of rain of which - almost 90% has been since this past Friday. Oh the joys of living in the wet PNW.

I had previously posted about using our aluminum boat as a rain collector. From Friday through Sunday morning, I let the rain collect then emptied the boat. Altogether, 16 pails were emptied out of the boat. That equals to 320 liters (70 imperial gallons) which is 84 US gallons.

From Sunday through to today, the boat collected about the same amount of water. Although we did not need the water, it was still a good experiment to test for possible future use for a longer term power outages and when mains water is also out.

Sorry, no image of the inside of the boat with the water in it as the only picture I took was way out of focus and did not realize until after the fact.

I'm so glad these storms didn't pan out like the worst case predictions. Sounds like they turned into mostly a little glitch for most and a good exercise for the boots on the ground first responders and emergency crews.

Brilliant idea using your boat to collect water! I don't know if I would have thought of that. There are lots of uses for that water and I'm sure boiling and chemical treatments could render it potable. Having a think on my own supplies, I could probably use the kid's wagon, dingy, the car roof carrier for the same purpose. Thanks for getting my wheels turning.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#282586 - 10/20/16 12:54 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

As for bird droppings, you have drank water from a lake or river at some point in your life, right?

On a recent hike when we scooped some lake water to boil but kids had a startling thought about it: fish poop. AHHHH!!! LOL!!

#282592 - 10/21/16 09:56 AM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I bought a few "pruning shears".

Well, (Engligh is not my native language, so they may have a different name). These are not the typical curved shears, rather they are straight and two sides are sharp. Exactly like a normal pair of scissors but the jaws are shorter and thicker. You can use these to cut anything from paper to thick leather,plastic,aluminum and tin sheets and even thin sheets of steel.... And off course you can use them for pruning, which is their intended use

They are very versatile and one pair sits on my desk just in case I needed some heavy duty cutting. They are more practical than tin snips or medical shears IMO. This is why I bought a few more

#282593 - 10/21/16 12:24 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

At this point it more for fun than preparedness, but we made some flint and steel strikers out of a old file a couple of weekends ago. Now every rock picked up by bacpacgirl on our walks gets tested to see if we can make sparks with it.

Next step: trying to catch a spark and make an ember to blow into flame.

Next project: making a knife out of an old file.

#282594 - 10/21/16 02:43 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Chisel
(English is not my native language, so they may have a different name).

The object you describe sounds exactly like "pruning shears" to me. And I agree, they're very useful.

#282639 - 10/28/16 03:05 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I inventoried my supplies. I was running low on alcohol swabs so I got more.

Jeanette Isabelle

#282642 - 10/28/16 07:53 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Truck maintenance for Winter, nice new parka, talking to the Red Cross about volunteering

#282647 - 10/28/16 08:57 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I will working in the coming election on Nov 8, roving as a troubleshooter among several precincts, and I am reviewing my first aid kits, provisions, etc. preparing for a long and hectic (adventurous?) day. I think I will just throw my CERT pack in my vehicle, just in case...

Nov 9 can't come soon enough.

Page 9 of 57 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.