Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#282465 - 10/13/16 05:00 PM JETPACK BAG
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
First a disclaimer, I have no affiliation with this company.

I build my own or use off-the-shelf kits to modify or to build larger kits. I look at a lot of off-the-shelf kits. This, I think, is one of the few note-worthy ones.

http://jetpackbag.com

Jeanette Isabelle

#282467 - 10/13/16 05:52 PM Re: JETPACK BAG [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Interesting. All these pre-built kits seem a little over-priced, but at least JetPack apparently uses a quality backpack. The SOLO JETPACK Bag description indicates it uses a Condor Assault pack; I have a Maxpedition Condor pack and that's not it. It looks very much like a Maxpedition Falcon II -- maybe not. Is there a Condor pack that's not from Maxpedition?

That said, if it is a Maxpedition pack, there's a lot of weight in the nylon. It's a very tough backpack.

#282468 - 10/13/16 07:31 PM Re: JETPACK BAG [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice set-up; def. a good place to start.

#282473 - 10/13/16 09:16 PM Re: JETPACK BAG [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am not all that impressed, especially if one is preparing for the aftermath of an earthquake. This might be OK as some sort of BOB, but preparing to flee is not always a rational response to an earthquake. For one thing, fleeing may not be feasible, if indeed possible, after an earthquake.

I almost always have a problem with preassembled kits; this one includes some things that I would not include (light sticks, for example). For another, I definitely prefer a headlight rather than a generic flashlight. I am sure we all have our own choices and will be more comfortable if we rely on them rather than an arbitrary choice based on the need to assemble a profitable package.

#282474 - 10/13/16 09:26 PM Re: JETPACK BAG [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree. The "Condor" (Maxpedition Falcon?) bag itself may be a good starting point, then you pick your own components for your particular situation. I swapped my Condor for a lighter weight Camelbak. Pick your tools, FAK, light(s), food and options for water, and anything you think is needed and go for it. No sacred cows -- if you need it, add it; if you don't want it, dump it. Start with a clean sheet of paper and build your own.

#282476 - 10/13/16 11:28 PM Re: JETPACK BAG [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I almost always have a problem with preassembled kits; this one includes some things that I would not include (light sticks, for example). For another, I definitely prefer a headlight rather than a generic flashlight. I am sure we all have our own choices and will be more comfortable if we rely on them rather than an arbitrary choice based on the need to assemble a profitable package.

As said, I look at a lot of off-the-shelf kits. Most of them include cheap stuff (quality and price). It is my assumption that companies make them to cash in this market and price these kits to sell and people who buy them get a false sense of security because they have a kit though the kit includes junk and is lacking.

I don't believe any individual or company has batted a thousand. This is no exception as there is room for improvements in their kits. Contrary to the kits I would not depend on in an emergency, I see that the designer has put some thought into it and these kits do have some quality items. While I'd rather use a kit I built myself or built with my mom, I would feel comfortable using this kit in an emergency.

Jeanette Isabelle

#282480 - 10/14/16 01:31 AM Re: JETPACK BAG [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Wow! I finally noticed the prices - $400 for the duo and $300 for the solo. They should be able to make a profit.

Almost anyone should be able to find roughly 50% of the items within their existing stores, especially if they do anything outdoors. It is trivial to improve on their items in many cases - I would prefer a one quart repurposed sport drink bottle (and even more) to their small container since capacity is everything. As Montanero pointed out in his recent thread, water is pretty critical, even in a flood. Their protective gear is reasonably decent, but lacks head protection. A construction grade hard hat is better than nothing, but I prefer (and stock) helmets designed for caving and climbing - much better protection. One could go on.....

One good thing about the kit - their pry bar is equipped to turn off gas - good job!

I prefer, especially for earthquakes, the recommendations right here on ETS - http://www.equipped.org/earthqk.htm

#282485 - 10/14/16 03:56 AM Re: JETPACK BAG [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I thought a part of the process is assembling the kit yourself. That means figuring out what you're preparing for, what skills you have -- and therefore what equipment you'll need to use those skills, etc. Buying a pre-assembled kit is sort of like buying someone else's preparation.

#282486 - 10/14/16 04:32 AM Re: JETPACK BAG [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Good looking although a bit overpriced. Apropos of nothing am I the only one disappointed to find that it doesn't contain a jet pack? blush grin

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.