The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#282393 - 10/08/16 03:08 PM Re: Navigation [Re: unimogbert]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I am looking for some info on the practice and process of doing dead reckoning.

You are right. It is open ended so respond as you like.k

I always appreciate this forum's response.

#282394 - 10/08/16 03:10 PM Re: Navigation [Re: Tom_L]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Solid. Thanks TomL

#282440 - 10/11/16 04:34 PM Re: Navigation [Re: AKSAR]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you all for the insight. Much appreciated.

Blake
www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#282441 - 10/11/16 08:58 PM Re: Navigation [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

As a skill set it is complex and requires a lot of practice. I would say the first step is to learn to read a terrain map. Learn to recognize the terrain on the ground and find your location on the map. The more dramatic the contour interval the easier the terrain association will be.

Then learn to plot coordinates and read coordinates on the map scale you plan to use. There are many different scales, so you have to pay attention to the detail.

Learn about the map itself, read the marginal data and understand it. Contour interval, scale, the declination diagram, map symbols and colors.

Learn to plot an azimuth on your map. You can go the other way and plot you desired line of march and then read the azimuth from that. However, you must learn to convert grid to magnetic, and the reverse, using the declination diagram.

Now you must know your compass. How to set a desired azimuth (some can be adjusted for declination) and then follow it. There are many difficulties to be faced when dead reckoning, such as limited visibility (low light, heavy brush, no recognizable terrain features to sight on like in a flat desert or in snow), tendencies to drift in one direction or the other, obstacles, etc. There are many techniques for overcoming these difficulties, find what works for you and practice it until it is habit.

Knowing the distance traveled is very important. Learn to do a pace count to measure distance. You can use other techniques, but I do recommend a pace count so you know when you have gone too far and need to stop and figure out what you did wrong, it happens to everyone. Handrails are a great technique, but not every situation will allow for that.

Between terrain association, pace count, and skill with a compass, you should be able to navigate by dead reckoning reasonably well. Always double check all of your steps, such as obtaining your azimuth, and setting you declination. It is easy to miss something, especially in bad weather, when you are tired, or in a hurry. Any stress can make you miss a step and end up a long way from where you want to be.

Tom L has some good insight, but a forum is a poor substitute for training and practice. There are some very good books on the subject, and the major compass manufacturers do make very good training kits. I have one from Silva and one from Brunton. They have some great learning material and even videos on line.

For practice you may consider joining a club for orienteering, if such things still exist. You can find some experienced people, have some fun, and learn valuable skills. People in such clubs are usually very helpful and friendly, not to mention enthusiastic about the subject.

If you need help finding the books, let me know. I can dig some up that I have used for teaching in the past.

#282443 - 10/11/16 11:32 PM Re: Navigation [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One other point - learn to orient to North without using a compass.Be aware of the point where the sun rose, especially if it is mid-day and adjust for the season. At night, there is nothing better than the North Star. Know how to recognize the Big Dipper and the pointer stars. The NS is no more than one degree off true north,a negligible amount in most situations. Local terrain features can also help you orient, and, in some situations, even the wind direction - quite dependable in the Channel Islands where I have spent some time.

Years ago while climbing Orizaba, my companion was observing his compass and I was looking at the NS. His compass was skewed about 45 degrees by some sort of local variation (I have always thought it was probably the iron content in the local volcanic rocks) but the NS wasn't. If you really learn the night sky well, there are many other reliable markers shining in the firmament....

#282447 - 10/12/16 01:22 AM Re: Navigation [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Natural navigation is a very good skill to have. You must be perceptive and learn a bit, but it works very well.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.