The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#282121 - 09/13/16 02:03 PM Urban Prep - Tire Compressor
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Urban preparedness, for me, includes having a vehicle that is in good repair and outfitted with some basic tools, including jumper cables and a tire compressor.

My tire compressor ("Slime" brand), a few years old, recently failed so I'm shopping for a new one. Any recommendations? I don't need it to be the fastest at inflating car tires but would like one that is more durable. These "Vair" brand have good reviews on Amazon but I'm not yet persuaded.

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-85P-Portable-Air-Compressor/dp/B0036E9VB6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1473774317&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A4707240011%2Cp_89%3AViair

#282122 - 09/13/16 02:30 PM Re: Urban Prep - Tire Compressor [Re: Dagny]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have the Costco jumpstarter/tire-inflator/area-light/charge-your-stuff gadget in both cars. They seem to last four or five years, need to be charged once a month, and work a treat. It's MUCH easier to jumpstart a car with something like this than with jumper cables (which we also have in both cars).

#282124 - 09/13/16 05:26 PM Re: Urban Prep - Tire Compressor [Re: Dagny]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I have a previous generation the Viar 70P (80 psi max pressure) with an adaptor to connect it directly to the battery. I have zero complaints with it. It's a lot faster and quieter then the generic Target or Costco compressors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012WHBSO

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Battery-Cigarette-Lighter-Extension/dp/B00JOY6U7U/

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#282128 - 09/14/16 01:48 AM Re: Urban Prep - Tire Compressor [Re: Dagny]
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
Viair compressors are highly regarded in the off-road and overland expedition communities. If it's in your price range, go for one that hooks directly to the battery for faster airing up, especially if you're working on a big tire. Lots of threads on Expedition Portal if you search for Viair.

#282131 - 09/14/16 02:38 AM Re: Urban Prep - Tire Compressor [Re: Dagny]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I have the Vlair 88P and am pleased. There is a good review on Amazon that comprehensively compares various models. I also wrote a review somewhere in there.

#282132 - 09/14/16 03:20 AM Re: Urban Prep - Tire Compressor [Re: Dagny]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Spend the extra $16.00 or so and get the Viair 88P. It is a much better compressor in terms of max PSI and CFM. This higher capacity compressor will inflate just about any tire that you may come across in the future, whether it be your own or another persons vehicle. As it draws more amps, you will not be able to use a 12 cigarette style power outlet. Instead the 88P connects directly to the vehicle battery.

I currently have a 2 cylinder compressor with slightly higher CFM specs. If this compressor ever goes south, I would not hesitate to purchase the 88P.

John Lubbock

#282135 - 09/14/16 04:56 AM Re: Urban Prep - Tire Compressor [Re: Dagny]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have several 12v compressors -- and I have seen several more fail.

So, for years I have carried a decent quality high-capacity bicycle floor pump. It has never let me down. Perhaps not ideal for a mondo balloon tire 4x4, but for passenger vehicles I already have the tire topped off when others are still fiddling with cords and lighter plugs.

#282136 - 09/14/16 05:12 AM Re: Urban Prep - Tire Compressor [Re: Dagny]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Regarding portable stations, I have had a few high quality ones and am never buying another one again. I used each station exactly one time to try it out. The next time I needed it, the battery was toast, thereby defeating the purpose of the portable station.

On a related topic, I also refuse to buy cordless drills anymore for the same reason. I have a powerful cord drill that is way less expensive and gives me full power every time.

Yeah, I'm that guy.

#282138 - 09/14/16 06:41 AM Re: Urban Prep - Tire Compressor [Re: ireckon]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Regarding portable stations, I have had a few high quality ones and am never buying another one again. I used each station exactly one time to try it out. The next time I needed it, the battery was toast, thereby defeating the purpose of the portable station.

On a related topic, I also refuse to buy cordless drills anymore for the same reason. I have a powerful cord drill that is way less expensive and gives me full power every time.

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Sounds like a battery maintenance issue. Those 'old' styple jumperpacks use AGM batteries and just like any kind of lead battery needs to kept charged or else the plates have sulfation and not work anymore. Best way is basically have them trickle charge/battery maintainer connected to them all the time. Lead acid batteries deteriate with time, so you will need to replace the battery inside the jumperpack every few years. You don't have to replace the entire thing.

These days lithium jumperpacks are on the market, that won’t need to be charged all the time (and shouldn’t!). Generally without any compressors or those kind of features. Lithium batteries will degrade with time too, but are far more user friendly maintenance wise. You do see a lot of (too) cheap Chinese ones...

Just keep in mind battery, just like the battery in your car will not last forever. When you buy them, it will be just for a few years.

#282144 - 09/14/16 02:34 PM Re: Urban Prep - Tire Compressor [Re: Tjin]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Tjin
Sounds like a battery maintenance issue. Those 'old' styple jumperpacks use AGM batteries and just like any kind of lead battery needs to kept charged or else the plates have sulfation and not work anymore. Best way is basically have them trickle charge/battery maintainer connected to them all the time. Lead acid batteries deteriate with time, so you will need to replace the battery inside the jumperpack every few years. You don't have to replace the entire thing.

These days lithium jumperpacks are on the market, that won’t need to be charged all the time (and shouldn’t!). Generally without any compressors or those kind of features. Lithium batteries will degrade with time too, but are far more user friendly maintenance wise. You do see a lot of (too) cheap Chinese ones...

Just keep in mind battery, just like the battery in your car will not last forever. When you buy them, it will be just for a few years.

I agree with the latter part of your post. The battery will eventually degrade no matter what, regardless of how well you maintain it. That is my point. My power stations were for rare emergencies. I took care of my batteries better than an average consumer would. Nevertheless, the battery eventually degraded because that is what any battery does. For people like me who only will use the power station for a rare emergency, a power station is basically a bad investment.

I have had a similar experiences with those backup battery power supplies that you use for computer equipment. I had two of those. The battery eventually degrades. The average consumer will not know the battery is toast until there is a power outage. Anyway, my power outages were so rare that it only came in handy once. Even then, having my computer equipment running was not necessary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 528 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.