The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#280981 - 06/05/16 08:13 PM Fire Cord
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"It's more than just paracord" proclaims the literature of Live Fire Gear https://www.livefiregear.com/

And they are correct. The 25' of Fire Cord contains a bright red inner strand, in addition to the seven conventional nylon strands, that is suitable for starting a fire. I just whacked off a chunk and went outside to play, er, test. The single, relatively thick, strand of red cord pulled readily from the nine inch length I whacked off and readily ignited from a single match. I fluffed up another end and tried igniting it with sparks from a spark-lite, with no success. More fluffing of the end of the fire cord might have given a better result.
."
Fire cord ignites readily, in much the same manner as a candle wick, due to its ingredients -"mineral oil, polymer resin, hydrocarbons, aniline dye, natural oils, and petroleum distilates."

incidentally, I tried using 'Advanced Purell" as an accelerant, and that was definitely a dud. Old style Purell is quite effective in creating a blaze - not so the new stuff.

While billed as 550 Fire Cord, there is no information as to the tensile strength of this product on anything I have seen, so don't try anything heroic with this cordage.

All in all, I am satisfied with this product, and I will include it in my kit, and probably wrap a couple of knife handles with it. I purchased bright red cordage, but it is available in various other shades, including camo, I believe. i have a slavish addiction to multiple use products, and I would say this one that works rather well.The same can be said of a small birthday candle, or similar.

#280982 - 06/05/16 09:06 PM Re: Fire Cord [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Very cool, hikermor! Thanks! I'm starting to see this stuff on-line more, but it hasn't hit my local army surplus yet. I'd like to try it out. Like you, I like multi-purpose prooducts, especially when it's a simple addition to something I already use and love, like paracord. What do you think so far? Does the paracord retains it's high quality and properties?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#280983 - 06/05/16 10:53 PM Re: Fire Cord [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would say the paracord is fine until you use the red cord for its purpose. When I cut off my 21 cm piece and pulled the red cord, all the other strands came with it. If I ever use this stuff for fire starting,I will probably whack off 5 cm at a time (I am learning to speak Canadian, he said in measured tones), leaving the rest unhindered for other uses.

I am amazed at running across discussions of using pcord for situations involving life safety, as in rappelling, where its use is dreadfully inappropriate. Shoe laces, lashing, stuff like that I would think fire cord is just as handy as the regular stuff.

#281729 - 08/16/16 10:57 PM Re: Fire Cord [Re: hikermor]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
I have some of the Fire Cord, but I prefer the TITAN Survival Cord. Same idea but uses waxed jute which I THINK is easier to light with a spark(but I have not tested it yet). It also has a strand of 25lb nono fishing line and a metal conductive wire, in addition to the 5 strands of cord, with each of those being made of 3 smaller strands... You can get a LOT of material out of this stuff. I guess I need to do a review of this stuff, but I just never seem to have any time anymore.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 317 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.